Strictly no cobs!

SnowPhony

Visit site
Just been browsing some adverts and came across an advert for livery, yard sounded nice then at the end of the advert it stated STRICTLY NO COBS.

Now I don't own a cob, but I'm a little bemused as to why someone would really have that much of a problem with them to state this on an advert. Cob owner or not, would it put you off the yard?

LaMooch

Visit site
Why are people discriminating breed/type of horse? A horse is a horse like people are different and should not be judged on what they look like or the creed/breed

Tobiano

Visit site
I have a cob BUT I wonder if that yard has particularly lush grazing and find it doesn't agree with cobs. Bit of a generalisation as I imagine there might be some cobs that are not good doers (yeah, right!) but that could be it?

If not, then grrr to them!

conniegirl

Visit site
Why not? Some people just don't like them. My recent wanted advert stated no traditionals. I hate the hair and wouldn't even consider one so why waste the owners time

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
How bizarre! Saying that, someone on here is on a yard where the YO wants only cobs because she says it's nice to look out and see all the lovely coloureds! Brilliant!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Weird! The only things I can think of that might have prompted this would be maybe they have rubbish fencing that cobs just run through, or if it's part-livery, possibly they've had bad experiences with bolshy cobs. Really strange thing to put on an advert though!

Greylegs

Visit site
Why not? Some people just don't like them. My recent wanted advert stated no traditionals. I hate the hair and wouldn't even consider one so why waste the owners time

But this was for a livery yard, not a "wanted" ad. Very strange IMO. Snobbery perhaps .... Don't want something chunky and hairy lowering the tone ....!!??!!

I wonder what they'd say if I turned up with my chunky highland? Not a cob, but an animal with a pedigree I can trace back to 1903, impeccable breeding and related on both sides to HM The Queen's Balmoral highlands. A true blue blood of his breed .... But a stocky, short legged, chunky, hairy, long-mane-and-feathers type none the less. I'd be tempted to call them and ask the question.

Ps ... Unlike Conniegirl I love a hairy beast. Each to their own.

SnowPhony

Visit site
I had a highland x connie (he too was related to the queens ponies!) and I wondered where we'd stand applying for livery on that yard.

I've also met some extremely smart show cobs and some amazing hunting cobs, who would put many 'sports horses' to shame in terms of looking the business so wouldn't 'lower the tone'.

As I say I don't own a cob and I'm not looking for a yard, but it would really put me off if I was.

Arizahn

Visit site
Could it have been a typo? Did they mean strictly no dogs?

<clutches at straws whilst picturing livery yard owner with desperate fear of cobs>