Stride Free Saddles

Wheels

Visit site
I'm intrigued by them - haven't seen one in real life but like some of the ideas behind them.

Does anyone know in what way is the tree flexible?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I'm intrigued by them - haven't seen one in real life but like some of the ideas behind them.

Does anyone know in what way is the tree flexible?

I watched a video on you tube... It seems to be the points, except they aren't pointed, just a flexible curve.
I liked the look of them until I found out that they only flex to wide. The price is pretty impressive too.

j1ffy

Visit site
I tried one when my saddler first got them in - I was clear that I didn't want to splash out £4k but she wanted to get feedback from as many people as possible.

I didn't like the feel of them at all (I tried the dressage models) - the twist was far too wide for me and I felt the saddle held my legs away from the horse as a result. I didn't see any difference in my horse's way of going in them either, and I was relieved not to be tempted ;)

A friend bought one and loves it, however she also loves the Fairfax Gareth which I hated so I guess we have completely different preferences! I think you just have to try them and see.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I thought they were meant to be altered to any width

I was reading the write ups from various stockists... One said narrow to wide, but now I've found two that say narrow to extra wide.... So I don't know if they have a limit or they're just talking in a general way.

flying_high

Visit site
I think they are an interesting development for narrower horses, but seem to be less than ideal, and not stable, on wider backs.

By narrower do you mean typical sports horse / TB / modern warmblood?

And wider old style warmblood / heavier cob / chunkier native?

CMcC

Visit site
I have 3 Stride Frees! First one (GP) I got for my Welsh D who at 6 had already been through 2 saddles as he has wide back and shoulders. I bought it for the adjustability. When I got it I thought it was the most comfortable saddle I had ridden in and he goes a lot better in it. Until I bought a second hand dressage, which is definitely the most comfortable saddle I have ridden in and suits Arab x Connie well. Then got another GP for just backed Connie, who is short back and GP number 1 was too long for her. So I am a convert. They are beautiful saddles, beautifully made and compared to a well known English saddle make that comes in at about the same price far superior!

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
I have 3 Stride Frees! First one (GP) I got for my Welsh D who at 6 had already been through 2 saddles as he has wide back and shoulders. I bought it for the adjustability. When I got it I thought it was the most comfortable saddle I had ridden in and he goes a lot better in it. Until I bought a second hand dressage, which is definitely the most comfortable saddle I have ridden in and suits Arab x Connie well. Then got another GP for just backed Connie, who is short back and GP number 1 was too long for her. So I am a convert. They are beautiful saddles, beautifully made and compared to a well known English saddle make that comes in at about the same price far superior!
Wow so you really like them then

flying_high

Visit site
I am borrowing a demo one. I sat in it on Saturday and loved it. Been static fitted to my horse who is coming back into work. Will see how we get on with it.

flying_high

Visit site
Not done a huge amount of riding, as still working on building my horse's back etc. Saddler came yesterday, and was pleased with back development and adjusted saddle flocking. Rode in school in walk and trot, and horse felt great. Did walk hack this morning. So far we are loving saddle, and my horse seems happy to lift his back and round in it. I am mainly working on groundwork for the next few weeks, supplemented with some short hacks. So early signs are positive. There is a Stride Free demo day, Sunday 7th October, Lomond, Horley, Surrey, if anyone is interested in seeing them, talking to someone who fits them, booking into to trial one. (hope this isn't advertisting as I have no connection to them).

Marigold4

Visit site
Not done a huge amount of riding, as still working on building my horse's back etc. Saddler came yesterday, and was pleased with back development and adjusted saddle flocking. Rode in school in walk and trot, and horse felt great. Did walk hack this morning. So far we are loving saddle, and my horse seems happy to lift his back and round in it. I am mainly working on groundwork for the next few weeks, supplemented with some short hacks. So early signs are positive. There is a Stride Free demo day, Sunday 7th October, Lomond, Horley, Surrey, if anyone is interested in seeing them, talking to someone who fits them, booking into to trial one. (hope this isn't advertisting as I have no connection to them).

I realise this was posted a while ago, but did you keep your Freestride? I would love to hear some more feedback about them, if you have time.

flying_high

Visit site
I realise this was posted a while ago, but did you keep your Freestride? I would love to hear some more feedback about them, if you have time.
I still have the stride free, though have a different horse now. Have been having trouble recently with saddle slipping right, but think now was a right hind issue and horse is about to have surgery on right hind. I like the stride free concept.