String Girths

Tnavas

Visit site
Yesterday at the winter dressage series I saw a rider with a lovely string girth. As I was writing I wasn't able to get details but asked her when she came to give me her name where she had got it - she said England!

Are they on the comeback there - I found them to be wonderful girths especially if you had a tubby like my Clydie - just didn't slip.

Anyone know where I can get them please? More than happy to buy overseas.

And it was BLUE!

Last edited:

Mike007

Visit site
When I had my saddle checked by my saddler, he told me to throw away my elasticated girth. I trust him and did so. He sold me a lovely wide string girth that has proved perfect for my lad. I havent seen many about but i do rate them Oh yes ,it was TDS saddlery at Alton.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I think they went out of fashion for a very good reason: they pinch. Try it on your own tum. Fasten a good quality wide leather/synthetic belt round you tight enough to mimic a horse's girth done up snugly, ready for riding. Walk around for an hour with it on. Now change it for 6 or 7 strands of sturdy string/cord, same tightness. Walk around for an hour again. I bet it will shift and slip and end up pinching just enough to be a pain in the bum, never mind the belly. Please let your horse's comfort come before something that you think looks pretty.

Tnavas

Visit site
I think they went out of fashion for a very good reason: they pinch. Try it on your own tum. Fasten a good quality wide leather/synthetic belt round you tight enough to mimic a horse's girth done up snugly, ready for riding. Walk around for an hour with it on. Now change it for 6 or 7 strands of sturdy string/cord, same tightness. Walk around for an hour again. I bet it will shift and slip and end up pinching just enough to be a pain in the bum, never mind the belly. Please let your horse's comfort come before something that you think looks pretty.

That was the thing though - they didn't slip, they didn't pinch and they also allow air to circulate and keep the girth area cool. Used them for decades on everything and never once had a girth gall and never once had to use a breast plate either, Saddle just didn't slip.

Were especially good on fat & unfit horses.

PLease if anyone knows where to buy the original nylon string girths then please pm me or leave a link on line.

GingerCat

Visit site
String girths don't pinch if they are kept clean, it's only when they are left with dried sweat and dirt that they pinch and rub - like any other girth would.

Not seen one for ages ....mine was blue too

Had a search online and Stubben make them, although they don't seem to come in such a wide range of colours as they used to

Last edited:

Rose Folly

Visit site
I hadn't used string girths in years, but when buying a new girth for my stout cob recently the saddler strongly recommended getting a string one. It is really wide, seems extremely comfortable and, for the first time ever, the saddle doesn't slip. It.s 2a.m. here and I'm too lazy to go out to the stable and look now, but if nobody else has given you a maker's name by tomorrow I'll find out who made mine.

Newlands

Visit site
Stubben trevira, I have used them for years on my pink sensitive skinned cob and they are fantastic he has never had any marks or pinches from it and is very happy to be girthed up. I know several saddlers who swear by them.

autumn7

Visit site
Yes Stubben Trevira - swear by them for my heavyweight hunter - have used one for nigh on three years now - best girth I've ever had and by far the comfiest for her. Never pinches, saddle remains secure - only use breastplate for hunting/cross country - and never chafes. Secret is to keep it clean though, just rinse out if sweaty, use non-bio soap occasionally, always hand wash otherwise they shrink and go fat and fluffy irreparably!

rossiroo

Visit site
I use to use a stubben string girth, untill my spur got caught in it, I soon changed to leather, and they can pinch.

horserugsnot4u

Visit site
Another vote for the Stubben trevira cord girth. Forget about the old-fashioned thin, stranded string girths, the Stubben is nothing like that. The cord is soft and wide and my ponies seem comfortable in them and hardly sweat under them compared with the wintec/thorowgood sort of material. The two straps/buckles are well split so you can use them on saddles with point straps and they lie nicely between front & back girth straps. They also wash really easily and mine still looks like new after several years of use. Initially, I thought of the string girths of decades ago but saddler lent me one to try and I now use them for all my ponies.

rambling

Visit site
Yes Stubben Trevira - swear by them for my heavyweight hunter - have used one for nigh on three years now - best girth I've ever had and by far the comfiest for her. Never pinches, saddle remains secure - only use breastplate for hunting/cross country - and never chafes. Secret is to keep it clean though, just rinse out if sweaty, use non-bio soap occasionally, always hand wash otherwise they shrink and go fat and fluffy irreparably!

It did just that when I machine washed mine ... shrank and went irreparably fluffy :(

Tnavas

Visit site
Thanks everyone - seems like I will be saving up for a Stubben string girth.

When I saw the girth on Sunday I couldn't believe it - memories fooding back of matching, girth, reins, browband & bandages - yes we were matchy matchy in the 60's too!

This girth was my favourite Teal Blue.

Zuzan

Visit site
Have a Montana Cincha girth (english model) made of mohair.. have to order them from the States tho' very highly reccommended even nicer than than the trevira.

Pidgeon

Visit site
Have used the Stubben string girth now for several years. Fab IMO, does not pinch - I have a sensitive chestnut "sigh" so would know if it did! Very easy to clean just rinse thoroughly in warm water and leave to dry.

Finns Mum

Visit site
I have the Stubben string girth and its great for my sensitive boy, I didn't realise how good it is until looking for a girth for my dressage saddle, he sweats up a lot more in it and it has started to rub him. Never had any problems with the Trevia!