String test - how accurate is it?

Marigold4

Visit site
I have a yearling filly (17 months) who is currently standing at about 14.1. If I do the string test it says she will be about 14.2/14.3. If she is this big already, surely she will be bigger than that? What are your experiences of string tests? Did you find it accurate?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
She must have had a good summer shooting up. Try the coronary band to knee one and see if it gives the same result.

Marigold4

Visit site
She must have had a good summer shooting up. Try the coronary band to knee one and see if it gives the same result.
Yes, I think that must be it and she will now slow down. 15hh would be perfect but not keen on 16hh. Her dam has mostly 16.0 + in her pedigree but only made 14.3 for some reason, so I guess my filly could grow bigger.

Marigold4

Visit site
Well my yearling, who was supposed to make 15.1 is already 15.1! He string tests to about 15.3/16hh
Crikey! Maybe they are both going through a growth spurt and will slow down. Yours sounds as though he could be bigger than 16hh though. I work on them growing at least a hand from their 2nd birthday. Let's hope winter slows them both down. Although maybe you want bigger. I'm hoping for 15hh.

Marigold4

Visit site
I did the string test (both versions) today with the help of someone who could hold her still and it still says 15/15.1 - so I guess her growth will slow down at some point.

ihatework

Visit site
They all grow a bit differently.
One of mine (unfortunately) grew like a weed 14 months - 20 months and was a good 16.1hh. I thought I was going to end up with a 17.2hh monster.
As it turns out she hasn’t put on a great deal of height since then, at 5 she is about 16.2hh and I reckon she will be done at 16.3hh.

Whereas another of mine was an absolute midget, at one point I wasn’t sure he would hit 15.2hh. But he has grown slowly and steadily and now at 8 is a decent 16hh