String test..is it accurate..???

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Soooo I tried the string test on my boy today. Point of elbow to fetlock and flip upwards.
Now judging by that he has another few inches to grow...er... he is approx 16.2hh already :eek3:
So is it really that accurate??

becca1305

Visit site
I did it on my then 2yo and it made her a lot bigger than she was at the time if I remember rightly, she is now 4yo and over a hand bigger. I also did it on my fully grown horses to compare and it was correct to within an inch on all (one 16.1hh TB, one 16hh 1/2 inch ISH, one 16.2hh 1/2 inch TB). Naturally not a big enough pool for conclusive evidence, but suggested theres perhaps something in it. Im glad you brought this up actually will be interesting to see what the string test reckons on my 4yo now :). I think I also tried another method where you measure from coronet band to middle of knee in cms and that should roughly be their adult height eg 16inches = 16hh.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Cheers...will try the other test tomorrow. ..knee to coronet band.
Im thinking he will make 17hh+ :) Well thats what Im hoping for anyway. He suddenly seems enormous lol. Last winter he was in a 6ft 3" rug...this year 6ft 9" :eek3:

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
He is 3 and a half...I dont have his official birthday, just the year he was born but the dentist was pretty precise :)
I dont know his exact height now but he is a good hand taller than the 15.1 he shares a field with, if not more.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Tonight I did the knee to coronet band test and is came up as 16hh...however we then measured his current height and he is 16.2hh :/
So maybe I have done it wrong..?? The elbow to fetlock test shows a potential 2-3 inches more growth.

confused. Com

windand rain

Visit site
Center of the knee to coronet band is supposed to go round all the curves and then that will gvie you the height in hands so 14 inches is 14 hands 17 inches is 17 etc
As long as the youngest age you do the string test is a birthday yearling I have found it spot on

skyrock

Visit site
wind and rain what curves-- help i have a 15 month old saddlebred fiily that is as tall as her mum. Mum is about 14 hands. Many years ago I had a 14.2 yearling that grew to 16.2 so do i expect a 16 hand baby? I was going to try the string test straight from coronet to mid knee

cblover

Visit site
Find the soft part in the middle of the knee and start there. Follow the contours of the leg with the tape measure and go down to the coronet band. So the tape is against the leg at all times. I've done this test and its proving very accurate. I first thought you measured from the knee to the coronet band by holding the tape off the leg and straight down. Hope that makes sense.

Kitei

Visit site
I very much hope that it's accurate; Harry is expected to make 15hh, apparently, and as he's only standing at 13.3-14 currently at 2 (only just 2, though), I'm slightly dubious. Hopefully it will prove me wrong. :p

windand rain

Visit site
Find the soft part in the middle of the knee and start there. Follow the contours of the leg with the tape measure and go down to the coronet band. So the tape is against the leg at all times. I've done this test and its proving very accurate. I first thought you measured from the knee to the coronet band by holding the tape off the leg and straight down. Hope that makes sense.
Yes that is what I meant by the curves the tape you use needs to be a soft dress makers tape find the center of the knee joint (easiest done by bending the leg) then with the tape lying along the cannon bone against the fetlock joint and down the pastern until it touches the coronet band take the measurement in inches and that will be the height in hands so 14 and a half inches would be 14.2 16and three quarter inches 16.3 etc If you do it straight you will end up with a short measurement and an estimate much smaller than will actually be