Strip graze or track?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
As expected really (I thought I might get away with it, not sure why :lol:) The Beast has ballooned again in a normal field with normal grass. Its a nice field and the grass is lots of different types and not fertilised so it not dire but she has put on a few kgs again.

So I need to restrict. Quickest and easiest is to strip graze and I'll do this immediately (Just waiting on yard giving me some fencing stuff, hopefully today or tomorrow).

Ultimately though I think a track would be better, to encourage more movement. Obviously not going to be an awesome "proper" track in a livery yard field but basically a way to reduced grazing but not movement (I don't like the small paddock aspect of strip grazing).

Field is about 2 or 3 acres. Rectangle. I was thinking 5m wide along long edges and 10m wide along short edges? For two horses. Does that sound reasonable? Then graze the centre in winter.

Any thoughts?

JulesRules

Visit site
This is pretty much what I do.

My two fatties are out together and they have about 10m at the top of the field and about 3 metres round the other 3 sides.

I made the whole track and have them the top section for a couple of days and I'm now moving the tape down the track a bit every day. In two weeks they have mown down the top plus one side, with two sides to go. Once they have the full track mown down I will let them have a small section of the centre, or a couple of hours a day in the middle maybe.

It took a 200m reel of tape to do one circuit of the field, so I used 2 reels to do a top and bottom strand. Had to put the second strand in as the Highland kept going through even with the energised on!

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
I have tried a track this year for the first time and I think it does make them walk more, although because of the dry weather the 'footpath' is getting very worn. If I extend one way, I move the tape in so parts have time to recover.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
As expected really (I thought I might get away with it, not sure why :lol:) The Beast has ballooned again in a normal field with normal grass. Its a nice field and the grass is lots of different types and not fertilised so it not dire but she has put on a few kgs again.

So I need to restrict. Quickest and easiest is to strip graze and I'll do this immediately (Just waiting on yard giving me some fencing stuff, hopefully today or tomorrow).

Ultimately though I think a track would be better, to encourage more movement. Obviously not going to be an awesome "proper" track in a livery yard field but basically a way to reduced grazing but not movement (I don't like the small paddock aspect of strip grazing).

Field is about 2 or 3 acres. Rectangle. I was thinking 5m wide along long edges and 10m wide along short edges? For two horses. Does that sound reasonable? Then graze the centre in winter.

Any thoughts?

I would divide in 3 and strip graze keep some for later on.

JillA

Visit site
They do move more with a track, I rely on mine to keep the two who have restricted grass in shape and the poor doer is currently grazing the centre, which usually is winter foggage. The only problem I have this year is getting the polyposts in the ground when I need to move them, it is so hard.

JillA

Visit site
Following - what is the maximum width a track can be whilst still being effective?

There isn't one, except as dictated by your lead out cable to the inner circle of fence. So long as they can't go directly from one end of the field to the other - I have done a U shape with a single line up the centre for a small paddock, so they have to walk round the ends to get to the other side or end. Just be creative

Visit site
Mine have a small field and then reasonably long and thin rectangular field which has since been extended at the bottom with approx an extra acre fenced off from the big field as what they have eaten just isn't growing back at all due to lack of rain. Water trough is in first field, so they have quite a walk to go and get a drink. Does them good though as keeps them moving around which is great with them being good doers and one being arthritic.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The only problem I have this year is getting the polyposts in the ground when I need to move them, it is so hard.
Same here. I've given up shifting posts atm as my ground is like concrete. My strip graze electric fence line is currently static, and I'm feeding a bit of hay instead in the field to top up their forage. The horses, inc 2 x Cushing's mares, look well on this regime, though.

Merlod

Visit site
Would prefer track for movement over strip grazing. Have you considered muzzling? They still get to move around with their friends and less effort than setting up a track!

meleeka

Visit site
I’m carefully using a hammer to bang in polyposts. I haven’t broken any yet :)

I was amazed when I made a track how trim it does keep them. I’m moving the fence every few days as I normally would in the late Autumn because it’s so bare. I know I’ll be moving it all back again when it rains though.

SEL

Visit site
I have my 2 on a small track. This time last year I'd just moved yards and left the field at my old yard with waist high grass on it. This year I've opened up the middle because there is literally no grass in their field. Last year it was 1 x net of soaked hay just to stop them breaking into the rested bit, today I put out 3 nets of soaked hay because they are so hungry.

I've left all the posts in though because rain will come back at somepoint - won't it?????

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Track all the way, we strip grazed last year as Mum was reluctant to bother doing the track but had to muzzle too. When you live with them you can observe how much more they move and it has meant that now retired suspect EMS welshie has not got the crest he had last year.

We have 2 horses round a square 3 acres and just make the corners nice and wide. We made hay off the middle 2 weeks ago and presuming some rain at some point :eek3: that will be essentially foggage again for the winter.

It does mean we sometimes don't get round to our other paddock at all (separated by a dry ditch), though this year they have gone out on it ATM post hay making as it's just standing brown stalks.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'm very happy because the YO is going to facilitate me making a track. Have to wait a week until they, and I, have the time but they were so very keen to help... going to put some wooden posts in for me and I didn't have to ask, they offered as soon as I floated the idea of a track!

For now, just a few days, I have sectioned off half an acre and will give hay if required and move the fence for more grass if necessary. We are getting rain up here now so the grass is still growing (hence my fat again Beast horse...) and I could push fence posts in fine! I've been fortunately giving Beast enough work to keep the weight stable but she has to have a couple of days off this week and I had to take some immediate action!

Field is about 2.6 acres. Going to set up a bigger area at the top a slightly smaller paddock at the bottom and two narrower walkways connecting them. I worked out they'll have roughly 1.1 acres of track space not including the dry ditch that runs along one side which is mostly full of gorse and is providing shelter and snooze spots.

Thanks for the input.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Yes, I currently strip graze (well, I do when I can move the s0dding posts) and tbh all they do is canter up to the newly available grass x 2 daily, hoover it up, then they stand around waiting for the next time the posts are moved.

A track system has to be better.

Fragglerock

Visit site
They do move more with a track, I rely on mine to keep the two who have restricted grass in shape and the poor doer is currently grazing the centre, which usually is winter foggage. The only problem I have this year is getting the polyposts in the ground when I need to move them, it is so hard.

Large screwdriver and mallet to start it off :)

Crackerz

Visit site
I though about track, but 2 of mine fight in narrower areas, so strip grazing it is for us, gives them more escaping from each other space

southerncomfort

Visit site
I would normally use a track but with the lack of rain and no grass growth, they ate it down to the bare earth. I've given up and gone back to strip grazing for this year but would hope to be able to use a track again next year.

FFAQ

Visit site
I used to faithfully put up a track each year, but I went to a talk recently on soil health and it was mentioned that in a recent study it was found that horses in a track system actually move less than horses in a square paddock! The study was cited but I can't remember the details. It seemed to have been done well with over 100 subjects.
Now I'm stuck too as my boy has ballooned since moving yards in April and I'm between saddles so can't ride!
The way I see it, putting him out on a track with soaked hay and straw will still encourage more movement than being shut in a stable, so I think I'm going to do that.

TPO

Visit site
I used to faithfully put up a track each year, but I went to a talk recently on soil health and it was mentioned that in a recent study it was found that horses in a track system actually move less than horses in a square paddock! The study was cited but I can't remember the details. It seemed to have been done well with over 100 subjects.
Now I'm stuck too as my boy has ballooned since moving yards in April and I'm between saddles so can't ride!
The way I see it, putting him out on a track with soaked hay and straw will still encourage more movement than being shut in a stable, so I think I'm going to do that.

I was just going to reply and say the same thing re movement.

It's Equiculture iirc. They have a really informative website and books.

I'd always been a fan of tracks but my parents went to one of the talks and came back really impressed. Dad is the son of a farmer and very clued up so it takes a fair bit to find something new to him. The whole Equiculture grass and soil management advice is really good and, IMO, makes better use of land than tracks.

https://www.equiculture.net

They have a facebook page and often have talks throughout the UK. I'm in Scotland and my olds went to one localish to us a year or so ago.

ester

Visit site
I think the equicentral system works really well if you can set up for it. It is sort of inadvertently what we tend to do in winter but cannot do with all of our grazing due to how it is set up.

ester

Visit site
Essentially you have a yard area, with water, and several field areas without water so that the horses have to go backwards and forwards. You use one field area at a time.

http://www.sustainablestables.com/paddocks.html

I am amused by it's mention of slope on the fields, yeah, ermm.

We inadvertently do it because Mum's mare will pace behind electric fence in winter if she cannot get back to the yard so we always end up with a 'race' from wherever their current paddock is. We have let them have yard and stable access at times previously but it can cause arguments.

JillA

Visit site
What basically is it? I couldn't access anything on the website without spending good money on their book

Sorry, the description has just arrived. Looks fine for the majority of horses but what if you have a mix of fatties and poor doers, as I have? If they take themselves to the field of their choice the good doers will snaffle all the best grass and the poor doers won't thrive. Or you would need more than one system. I have a PPID good doer with a history of laminitis and who also itches, more so when he scoffs too much grass. And an ex chaser who needs all the food he can get himself outside of - the track system works well for us, on a choice of good or sparse paddocks

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I am intending, if we ever get our own place, to try equicentric but in the current livery yard setting I reckon a track is out best option. The water is in the bit of the field with the least grass and the best grass will be at the far side of the track so that should get The Beast moving!

HashRouge

Visit site
My summer field is long and narrow so I couldn't have a track. I strip graze instead and, because of the shape of the field, am always extending the field at the end furthest from the water trough. Because of how narrow the field is, they end up with a good length of paddock fairly quickly, so they do move about quite a bit as they are grazing at one end and going for water at the other. It's not perfect, but it'll do!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Essentially you have a yard area, with water, and several field areas without water so that the horses have to go backwards and forwards. You use one field area at a time.

http://www.sustainablestables.com/paddocks.html

I am amused by it's mention of slope on the fields, yeah, ermm.

We inadvertently do it because Mum's mare will pace behind electric fence in winter if she cannot get back to the yard so we always end up with a 'race' from wherever their current paddock is. We have let them have yard and stable access at times previously but it can cause arguments.

Mine have similar, especially after Xmas till the spring grass really gets going.

The only water is down by the yard, the best grass is 3 paddocks away by then, so they all troop up and down, keeps them fitter than mooching around 1 paddock, lets them run too and saves me getting the hose pipes running to the far fields. Win win :)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I managed to get my track set up about 3 weeks ago. I haven't made a complete circuit, still have a barrier at the end of the 4th side, so it's more of a long narrow strip with corners! I do think they are moving more... especially now the grass is well eaten down so they are on the move looking for patches of fresh growth. I'm supplementing with hay so they don't get silly hungry but The Beast is finally starting to lose some weight! And she's much less footsore on the stones... I think it is Granny that has possibly benefited most from the enforced movement though... she's been galloping! I haven't seen her gallop in the field for at least 2 years and now she's flying round the track as if she's forgotten that she's 22 and supposedly arthritic... so I'm pretty pleased all in all.

It's starting to get muddy in patches as the last few days have been a bit wet... but I'm reluctant to take it down quite yet. We shall see. The forecast looks better for the next week and the ground seems to dry up very quickly up here (think it's cos it's quite windy).

Also will have to work out how to introduce the middle bit to them. Don't want to just let them gorge.