Strip grazing electric fence query

Jacksie

Visit site
I expect this is a very silly question which will become obvious once answered but I’m setting up a temporary electric fence to strip graze a field. The field is a rectangle and I am putting in a fence to divide it across the narrow section. I don’t need a gate at this stage as will just be moving the full fence line as needed. The bit my brain is struggling with is - how do I secure the tape to the first polly post and can I keep any excess tape on the roll rather than cutting it to size. I think I will have a touch more on the roll than I need but don’t want it too short as I move it up further as I’m sure the field dimensions isnt perfect all the way down so I’ll need some play - thanks

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Measure out enough tape to fit the widest part of the field, and then wrap the excess around one of the end posts when the fence is at a narrower part. To secure the end of the tape, just tie it around the post at the required height.

honetpot

Visit site
You can keep the spare on a roll but just be careful not to let it touch the ground.
I would try a heavy duty plastic bag, and tape it up so not to let water in.

If you afford the initial cost, these last for years and make everything so much easier.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
If you can find a quality electric fence reel it will save a lot of faffing about and assist with tensioning the fence correctly. Gallagher make the very best ones. Worth the money.

Carrottom

Visit site
I tie the end polyposts to the perimeter fence post with baler twine. Then tie a loop in the tape to put over the top. I leave the spare tape on the roll and tie it yo another post on the outside of the grazing area. Then all you need to do is untie the loop to let out more tape.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I expect this is a very silly question which will become obvious once answered but I’m setting up a temporary electric fence to strip graze a field. The field is a rectangle and I am putting in a fence to divide it across the narrow section. I don’t need a gate at this stage as will just be moving the full fence line as needed. The bit my brain is struggling with is - how do I secure the tape to the first polly post and can I keep any excess tape on the roll rather than cutting it to size. I think I will have a touch more on the roll than I need but don’t want it too short as I move it up further as I’m sure the field dimensions isnt perfect all the way down so I’ll need some play - thanks
I just leave the roll on the ground, making sure it does not touch anything. is one what I do it personally i would rathe cut to size or you find you loose some of the power. I always do an extra two rows so I have two spare when the field gets wider further up. There are also many connectors you can use if you did cut it.