Strokes

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Does anyone have experience of dogs who've had a stroke please?

Dog in question has seen the vet and received medication. She's able to get up but is lacking balance. She's a 13 year old BC who up until yesterday morning was as bright as a button and fit as a flea.

Vet has said to offer some short walks if she wants them, and will be reviewed again next week (unless she goes down hill).

Is this the slow road to goodbye??

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I have, the old girl in my avatar had a stroke October 2016, and with medication and some adaptations she lived happily for another 9 months, although she was 16 and it was a fairly severe initial stroke, so not to say theres not a longer subsequent life span possible.

Happy to answer any questions if I can. What medication has been prescribed? Once the medication kicked in I saw a massive improvement in Tink, it was great stuff. She had given up on the concept of walks before the stroke, she was happy to potter about the house and field, and she continued that afterwards. She did have to wear booties as she dragged her hind leg slightly, and the nail would wear down too fast, but she regained walking/jogging skills and seemed well and happy in herself.

I think she had vet reviews every two months, which helped with an objective look at her condition/quality of life, as it was hard to sometimes assess it without being clouded by "well for being post stroke she is doing well".

Beausmate

Visit site
Yes. Took a couple of weeks on prednisolone to mostly sort him out, then a couple of months before he was almost back to normal. I suspect he had some mini strokes in the couple of years following.

He was put down yesterday at the age of 15. It was something neurological that brought his time to a close, but it wasn't a stroke.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I knew a middle aged Cavalier many years ago who had a stroke, but his stroke was caused by a tick infection, and perhaps that affected his positive outcome. As I recall it, after a few weeks the only remaining sign was that if you looked really closely at him, you could see that one side of his face was still a tiny bit droopy. His owner was very relieved with how quickly he came back to his normal self.

I can fully understand if you worry about it being the road to the end, but fingers crossed for that the medication helps. {{{Hugs}}}

skinnydipper

Visit site
Yes. Took a couple of weeks on prednisolone to mostly sort him out, then a couple of months before he was almost back to normal. I suspect he had some mini strokes in the couple of years following.

He was put down yesterday at the age of 15. It was something neurological that brought his time to a close, but it wasn't a stroke.

I am so sorry you have lost your friend. Thinking of you.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Its over 10 yrs ago, so my memory isn't too clear now but I had a yellow Lab who had a stroke aged 12/13, absolutely fine in the morning wobbling all over the place when I got home later, with a list to one side. I can't remember what the vet treatment was but she was fine in a couple of weeks and lived to be a good 15, the oldest Lab I've ever had and the only one that had a stroke.

ETA, I've just worked it out - its actually over 20 yrs!:eek:

Last edited:

deb_l222

Visit site
It is the start of the road to goodbye but that doesn't mean it's imminent. My oldie (Button) started with vestibular attacks (sort of strokes) six months after having her cruciate fixed last year. Had her first attack just before Christmas. Vet bobbed her straight onto Vivitonin, she had a couple more 'episodes' but we've not had another event since February this year and she's pretty fantastic for her age.

I know she can't go on forever but at the moment she's very good and I would highly recommend Vivitonin.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks all for your comments. The dog in question is doing remarkably well and has improved since being medicated. Bless her, she still wants her walks, so 10 mins three times a day.

We'll keep our fingers crossed that we still have this wonderful dog in our lives for a while longer.

BM, I'm so very sorry for your loss xxxx