Stroppy mare when belly brushed - how to tackle

dreamcometrue

Visit site
My mare objects very strongly to having her belly brushed. Ears back, stomps around and will threaten to bite. If she is tied up she moves her back end around to get away.

She will let me touch her belly and doesn't mind the girth or rug being done up. As so as I approach with a brush of any type she starts up. Even if I just place it still against her.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can work her through this? I have been using my hands to stroke her all over and including her belly briefly but don't quite know where to go from here.

She was unhandled for the first 6 years of her life and is 7 now. Welsh sec d.

Purple Duck

Visit site
We used to have a broodmare that was similar to this, as she had such a fine coat all we ended up doing was sing a sheep skin instead of a brush.

Has she always been like this? She could be ticklish?
If not how long ago did it start? Is it possible she has bruising from a fall in the field?

xXx

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Thanks for the replyPurple duck.

I have only had her 6 months and she has been like this during this time. I don't think a sheepskin would work either. She must be quite ticklish there. When her belly gets muddy I have managed to wipe the worst of it off with a towel but she wasn't happy!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I've never had a horse who is overly happy with it, but what I've found works is actually getting it done quickly and gently rather than dragging it out trying to be overly soft (I hope that makes sense?)
If I ever have excess mud to worry about then I douse with 7 day mud away, which means a body brush will still get the dirt off quickly :)