Struggling to get my horse into an outline

Cazzabombazza

Visit site
Ok, when we first got my 18year old Welsh C x Arab, he was very unfit and looked liked he was about to give birth to twins...

Anyway, after a few months with us, lots of hacking and (more recently) riding in the field, he is not that fat any more and is alot fitter, with lots more muscle on his bum and alot more stamina!

However, he is a bit of a stargazer and i struggle to find a way to bring him down without triggering a fight with him... I just want him to be nice and relaxed whilst looking acceptable at the same time!

Any tips would be great, thanks :) xx

lhotse

Visit site
My welsh/arab cross would never work in an outline, some horses are just not comfortable like that. Arabs are designed to 'drink the wind'. It never bothered me at all, she was relaxed and hated schooling anyway, so we just hacked the world instead!!

celia

Visit site
The first thing with any horse is to have them going forwards and in a good rhythm. You need the horse to be engaging their hindquarters before they will come round in front. The best way to improve this is by doing lots of transitions, circles, bending, lateral work etc - anything that will encourage activation of the hind legs. It's not going to be a quick process, especially if he's not used to this kind of work but you need to develop the right muscles so that he learns to carry himself rather than being supported by your hands (which is a fairly common problem). It's difficult to tell without seeing him but if he is very un-used to this way of going and/or has muscles in the wrong places you may find using a lungeing aid (loosely) will help to show him what you mean and start to develop the right muscles. Having a good instructor come look at the pair of you is probably the best way forwards - even if it's only once a month they can give you exercises to work on etc and should be a big help. Sounds like you've done well with him so far, I hope he continues to improve for you! :)

noblesteed

Visit site
There can be any number of reasons why this is the case. Your really need an instructor to work with you on this one.
After the obvious checks you could check the following -
Bit - is it suitable/comfortable (the bit that 'came' with my horse was 4 sizes too big!!!)
Is horse crossing jaw? - a flash noseband can stop this
Is horse going forward actively?
Is it going running onto forehand? Lots of transitions/half halts will improve this.
Are you providing a consistent contact with outside rein?
Is horse stiff? Lots of work on circles, bending, flexion/counter flexion will help.

Cazzabombazza

Visit site
Thank you for all advice so far!
His previous owner had him since he was a foal, and she competed him to elementary level dressage, so its not a case of teaching him, more a case of finding my way with him!
It would be so useful to have an instructor or even a closed flat working space!
His back and bit and teeth are all good, and he does go forward actively and I can sometimes get a very nice, long, relaxed neck with this, but he tends to hollow downhill and during transitions (up and down). He also turns quite wooden, so bending and lateral work would definatley help, thank you ^^

Thank you for all the advice, I will continue to work with him and hopefully we'll have lots of fun together =D

Catherine xx

canteron

Visit site
Thank you for all advice so far!
, but he tends to hollow downhill and during transitions (up and down).

I am no expert, but I have had many many lessons on this very subject. It could be that you let your position change during transistions? In the absense of an instructor maybe get someone to video you and see if you let your body move during transitions - try consciously engaging your core before, during and after and ensuring body doesn't tip forward??!!