Struggling with box rest - help

doodle

Visit site
Having thought robin was getting calmer being in today he was very very upset. He calms down when the other horses come in at night. However even with another horse in today he was wound up. I think he has been chewing at wound also. He had trashed his fleece over the wound area which he has never done. He has 3 haynets and prefers the one on the outside of his stable. Moving him into a stable qith better view of the fields makes him worse. He box walks continually. When upset he spins round, constantly rushes the door. I give him a treat ball. He gets very rough with it, throws it into his water or just bashes it against the water spilling it then spooking when his nose gets wet. He likes his teacle lick and I have just got him a new one (can't remember the name) but made up of grains which I can hang up. He has been in for 4 weeks. He was at vets 3 days, home for a few days then back to the vet for 6 days. I am so close to sending him back to them. He is bolshy, rude, constantly in my face, getting nibbly, rushing at the door (although still goes back if I ask him to let me in) anything in reach (including Haynet) is thrown about in disgust, he buried his nose in the straw then throws it about. He is frustrated and upset and I get that but he is being so difficult I am really struggling. That said to wash the wound he is perfect. To graze in hand he is also perfect. However I walked him slightly further to outside his field this morning for grass and I wonder if that set him off today. I have no idea how long he has to stay in, it depends how long wound takes to heal (big lump on elbow was removed, wound and stitches broke down leaving a very big cavity and wound).

What else can I do? I could sedate but would that last all day. If I turn him out the wound will just burst open even more but I am beginning to think I will have to turn out and if it keeps bursting then have him pts.

_GG_

Visit site
Ask your vet about sedation. ACP lasts all
day I believe.

This...or try closing the top door if there is one. That can help some horses.

Good luck, sounds very frustrating. Other option would be a roundpen or fenced off corner in the field and turnout initially with sedation. X

PorkChop

Visit site
Definitely talk to your Vet about ACP tablets, they were a life saver for one of my horses. Safe and lasts all day.

claracanter

Visit site
I would definitely sedate as it's not good carrying on as you are, for either of you! I sedate my TB when he's on box rest.It's not my favourite thing seeing him doped up but it's better than seeing him distressed. My chap is extremely sensitive to ACP and a half tablet keeps him quiet for pretty much a whole day. Speak to your vet

doodle

Visit site
Ok will ask about acp. No top door. American barn style with 4 boxes each side. He has a window out of the back open to the yard, the other side the windows are open to the fields. We do have a round pen. But I think he will just career round and split everything. I wondered about a pen in the field which I think would work while his buddies hung around but having lost a horse to a fence injury I am very wary of a little pen.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have one who had to be box rested in plaster he not a stabled horse .
Sedalin saved the day .

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Ok none of these might help but here goes, this is what we did for E when he was on box rest:

Radio
Carrots in haynet
Apples in water bucket
Turnip (or cabbage if a bit stopped up) on a string
Squeeky toys ( not for everyone)
6ft Xmas tree with decoration to look at (seasonal)

Additionally when Mr C was confined ,:

Camomile in feed
Picnics - literally rocked up with a picnic basket and deck chair plonked myself outside his box and shared lunch with him. He was most put out that I didn't share the boursain!

Good luck and as others have said there is always sedalin

doodle

Visit site
Thanks. Radio makes not difference. I have just bought a sack of carrots so might string them up. He LOVES turnips and can polish one off in 2 mins, how do you get a string through them? Apples in water sounds fab, also just bOught a load of them so will do that tomorrow. He would live a picnic. I try and spend lots of extra time with him which luckily I can do, ideally he would like me standing right next to him all day so I try and spent time doing that. He is also cleaner than he has ever been in his life!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You need sedalin I find if you give them a few mls in the morning then again at night it just keeps them in a much calmer state to deal with.

doodle

Visit site
Will ring vet for sedalin tomorrow. I have relaqine (?) which I'll give tomorrow luckily he settles at night better and lies down and eats his other haynets. It has however made me change my thoughts in what treatment I would give him in future. I used to be do anything, Minto seemed happier on box rest than in the field!

druid

Visit site
Ask about a long term sedative such as reserpine for him when you speak to the vet

doodle

Visit site
Spoke to the vet at length this morning after him squealing, Bucking, spinning and threatening to jump out. I gave him sedative which took the edge off. Left him fishing out apples from his water and eating his new lick but not box walking. Vet thinks we may have to bring forward the turn out and hope for the best. She would like him to start with an hour in a small pen. Will try putting him out an hour before his friends come in so he comes in with them. I am very very anxious about a small pen but vet concerned about turnout in big field, hooning about and injuring something else. Vet is back on Monday so going to dope him up till then and see how that goes, if no good go for turnout. I dont even want to think about if that goes wrong. Thanks everyone

fuzzymooch

Visit site
The string thing can be tricky, I usually whittle a hole through with a knife and then push through baler twine with a knitting needle! I string mine from the rafters near the door they spend ages trying to catch it :).

Be warned picnics tend to make you look nuts :) and you will be mugged, I lost half my cup of green tea!

Re the radio did you try different stations, I know that sounds crazy but if I got the wrong station on E was VERY put out. He loved country music and hated rap. Mr C is the same but likes rock or cheesy 80's stuff which is great cos I like that too!! in the end I resorted to a small speaker and iPod shuffle with selected songs he liked.

doodle

Visit site
People already think I am nuts so no change there! Tonight he had chewed trough the string hanging up the lick. Took me a while to find it. He dosnt lick it but grates it with his teeth. It's really hard tho so if I can get stronger rope might last him a while. That said tonight he was perfectly happy. The dope couldn't have still been working but was maybe enough to break the cycle.

dulcie_dustyxx

Visit site
People already think I am nuts so no change there! Tonight he had chewed trough the string hanging up the lick. Took me a while to find it. He dosnt lick it but grates it with his teeth. It's really hard tho so if I can get stronger rope might last him a while. That said tonight he was perfectly happy. The dope couldn't have still been working but was maybe enough to break the cycle.

My pony does this even when not on box rest! I'd recommend a boredom breaker from Likit. Keeps Dusty going for days at a time, instead of one per night!