Stubben Equi Soft dressage girth

FBDD

Visit site
Just looking for some confirmation/advise on these girths. It very clearly advises to make sure both sides of the girth are done up equally but does that mean each girth strap must be on same number of holes or can the second girth strap be slightly longer than the front? Hope I've made that clear xx

Cragrat

Visit site
I'm afraid I disagree��
I have a gp one,and bought it for the express reason that my weird TB has a narrow chest but a large barrel, and a VERY short back/rib cage, so that a normal girth was impossible to get sitting comfortably- if the rear strap was a nice tightness, the front was loose, so the rear dug in ��If I tightened the front but left the back a hole loose, the front dug in. Double elastic helped, and so did a banana shaped girth, but nothing was perfect.
The equisoft is���� I can adjust each strap individually, (whilst keeping the padded part central). Now the tension is evenly distributed, he is much happier. I really think it has made a massive difference. He moves more freely, and pinged me out of the saddle on the third jump we did, when he realised he could really stretch!

I.M.N.

Visit site
I don't have this girth but I've looked into them, from what's written the main point seems to be the girth has to be in the centre, so I would assume what ever formula achieves this is ideal, but like I said I have no hands on experience with them.

Slight hijack, what do people reckon to these girths being used in muddy environments, ie hacking, eventing and hunting? I have slight concerns with them trapping mud and rubbing due to the design.

FBDD

Visit site
Thanks for your reply

I'll attach a picture of what it looks like with all holes on the same number.....which I think is too tight.

FBDD

Visit site
perhaps not......cant seem to work out how to upload a pic :/

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Have you got a photo bucket account?

You need the img code.

Have not heard of these girths. Sound interesting but must say Stubben seem to be competing to make the most ugly tack possible at the moment!

FBDD

Visit site
i must admit i really love the design of these girths and the horse seems to go really well in it too but i just feel the second girth strap could be on a lower hole. The bridles are definitely in a league of their own, perhaps just a bit of getting used too......after all the horse world is steeped in tradition and not really used to seeing radical design concepts xx

FBDD

Visit site
It looks a lot better and less bulky on your horse than in the pics I've seen.

Thanks. I have tried Fairfax in the past and yes horse didn't mind it but he is a really short coupled fine type and I personally found it was too bulky despite measuring a standard width. I like the stubben as i find the design allows more movement/flexability. There seems to be very little, if any pressure on the sides of the horse between the buckles and the girth padding itself (if that makes sense) and following a biomechs session i attended in the past, studies showed this was the most sensitive area on a horse where the girth is positioned. Hence why they suggest the girth buckles are better to be positioned as close to the saddle as possible

Cragrat

Visit site
Slight hijack, what do people reckon to these girths being used in muddy environments, ie hacking, eventing and hunting? I have slight concerns with them trapping mud and rubbing due to the design.

Sorry if I sound like I work for them, I really don't! I have had some fast muddy hacks across the moors, and jumped in pretty mucky wet conditions, and not had a problem with stuff getting against the skin. The pad sits really securely, and I think the straps move over the top of it, so there is no movement of the pad against the skin. I have the leather pad, on a pathetic TB who has always needed a fleece cover with other girths, and so far so good.

My only problem is that I tried the same girth on my WB knowing it was about 4" too short, but just held it up on her- and the edge of the pad seems like it will catch the top of her elbow. So does anyone know if longer girths have longer pads, or is it only the straps that change? I'm talking about the GP version, I don't know how different the dressage is?

PorkChop

Visit site
I have a long and a stud girth equi-soft, I think they are brilliant.

As long as the pressure is even and the pad central you should be fine.

I don't have a dressage one, but from the picture I would say that the pad on all the girths is the same, not sure if it is dependent on length - ie pony size - though.

I have never had a problem with it catching the elbow or mud working its way in.

My only gripe is that I can't afford any more :)

fornema

Visit site
Sorry to highjack a little I am looking at the pony sizes specifically smallest dressage girth sizes, does anyone know if these are less bulky/smaller dimensions than those for horses? As having problems with rubbing even with sheepskin covers on current girths.

fairyclare

Visit site
Following with interest.

I am on the brink of breaking out the credit card for one, only thing i'm unsure of is size - I currently have a 24" Albion Legend, I think its a bit on the long side but reading more and more that longer is better, could anyone clarify?

Looking at the 55cm but no wondering if 65cm would be better. Thanks

FBDD

Visit site
Following with interest.

I am on the brink of breaking out the credit card for one, only thing i'm unsure of is size - I currently have a 24" Albion Legend, I think its a bit on the long side but reading more and more that longer is better, could anyone clarify?

Looking at the 55cm but no wondering if 65cm would be better. Thanks

Perhaps trial one with a view to buying it? There are a couple of retailers that offer this service, Forelock and Load do......i just cant' remember the name of another retailer at the moment

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
What I am not convinced about is on the long one having those two really long individual straps with a sensitive horse. On the basis that with his dressage saddle I make sure that it girths above the numnah.

Kallibear

Visit site
I too have a pansy of a horse and found that it's isn't an issue. My horse is very deep and the longest dressage girth (75cm) still only does up on the 3rd bottom hole of the dressage straps. I was worried that they'd rub or catch the hair but they've not at all. When the belly piece is snug I've found I can still easily slip a full hand under the straps.

I.M.N.

Visit site
Just wondering if we could have an update from the people who are using these girths. Are you still happy with them, anything else to add?
Yes, still very happy. I had to switch back to my fairfax for a bit and I didn't realise how much more my baby horse appreciated the stubben over the fairfax until I had to go back and forth. Also it's not nearly as hard to keep clean as it looks!

Kallibear

Visit site
Horse still likes it. No 'looking at me funny' when doing the girth up. Everything that's borrowed it has been happy with it and it sat well on all horses.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I’ve just bought an Equi soft stubben dressage girth second hand. I can’t see how I wash the sheepskin insert / liner? It detatches by Velcro but it’s soft leather backed which I didn’t expect. So presumably can’t go in machine on wool wash?

I can’t find online washing instructions anywhere.

thanks

Cragrat

Visit site
I wash mine on a wool wash, with wool detergent. I wash it about once a month, depending how sweaty he gets (which isn't much under his Equisoft). So I've probably washed it about 24 times -so far so good. His leather liner which he had before I got the sheepskin one was just wiped down.

I fluff the wool one up with a wire dog brush- it comes up really nicely.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I wash mine on a wool wash, with wool detergent. I wash it about once a month, depending how sweaty he gets (which isn't much under his Equisoft). So I've probably washed it about 24 times -so far so good. His leather liner which he had before I got the sheepskin one was just wiped down.

I fluff the wool one up with a wire dog brush- it comes up really nicely.
Thanks is your sheepskin liner soft leatherbacked? That’s the bit I’m worried about washing.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
The black bit looks to be leather? Is yours the same? I’m a bit scared of washing it. Thanks

Attachments

• 11C71769-357D-4D49-9C29-F16969766D83.jpeg
    11C71769-357D-4D49-9C29-F16969766D83.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0