stubben saddles

Zoe67

Visit site
Hi all,

Would anyone recommend stubben saddles? I quite like the look of the new phoenix jumping saddle but wanted opinions before I buy it on a whim!

TIA x

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Have ridden on loads over the years from half panels to top jumping event saddles and can honestly say Stubbens have been the only ones that have given me huge blisters but others swear by them. Think it's a case if your bum fits; you can only try it and see.

Crackerz

Visit site
I think you need to try one before you buy.
I say that, because I've seen so many people raving about the Albion K2, but it's by far the worst saddle i've had the displeasure of riding in, and i've had to ride in a few! Saddles are so personal imo

lindsay1993

Visit site
One of the horses I ride has a Stubben jump saddle and it's the most uncomfortable thing my bottom has dared to sit on! His owner loves it though and raves about it. I hate it with a passion and always have a sore bum. My mare has a old Albion and it's amazing! Looks tatty as hell, but fits both of us perfectly. I'd definitely try before you buy.

case895

Visit site
My equine chiropractor/physio is not a fan. She had said that she sees far too many horses ridden in Stubbens, and keeps going back to see them.

dibbin

Visit site
I've never ridden in one I liked, every one I've sat on has been hideously uncomfortable. I used to feel like my seatbones were bruised after I'd ridden my friend's gelding!

I have also heard a saddle fitter say that they're a rider's saddle rather than a horse's saddle - she'd never seen one that was a perfect fit on a horse, but they were what the riders were set on.

I do know some people who swear by them, they clearly just don't suit me!

Last edited:

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I once tried a horse in a stubben saddle...couldn't walk for about three days. My first, last and hopefully only experience, I swear the thing had rocks in.

tiffin

Visit site
I don't think they sell on very well or keep their value. Didn't like riding in their jump saddle but loved riding in the dressage, though I haven't owned one myself.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They are like sitting on a brick and the leather is not great the one I used faded in less than a year and looked about 10 years old, I used to ride for a woman both her horses had them and it put me off for life I would never buy one.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I haven't ridden in one for years but I do seem to remember the ones I had ridden in were all horribly hard and unyielding.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I like them. They're hard in the seat but a seatsaver helps with that. I like the position they put you in and find the GP saddles very good for jumping in. The flocking in the ones I've seen seems to be harder than in some other saddles but one of mine has had a full reflock and the other has had flair air panels fitted, neither saddle has harmed my horses back.

Zoe67

Visit site
I like them. They're hard in the seat but a seatsaver helps with that. I like the position they put you in and find the GP saddles very good for jumping in. The flocking in the ones I've seen seems to be harder than in some other saddles but one of mine has had a full reflock and the other has had flair air panels fitted, neither saddle has harmed my horses back.

i rode a horse a few years ago who had one and I do remember it putting me in a really nice position! But I can't remember if it was comfy, I think it was quite old as well

dibbin

Visit site
If you want a comfy saddle for a bit of everything then a Hawk Event gets my vote every time.

Agreed, I've ridden in a couple and they're fab. I do also love my Bates, though - I have the VSD and my sister has the GP, they're both very comfy.

Last edited: