Stubble field fun.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Riders from a local livery yard lost us the use of a very convenient farm track due to "playing around" in stubble fields. Unkown to them the farmer had direct drilled the fields and the green coming through was not weeds but his next crop which was getting galloped over daily. Now the track has chained gates at both ends and large no horses signs.

Shay

Visit site
As long as you have the landowner's permission stubble fields are great. But do be sure you have permission because there can - as rabasta says - be another crop coming through underneath.

BSL

Visit site
I know for a fact this young lady has absolute permission to ride on this land. One of very few, because she respects the land and owner. They were on the tractor tram line. She also always walks her line first to check for ground condtions/rabbit holes etc. I do understand why land owners get fed up with people who do not get permission. So very rude and frustrating for the polite riders who do ask.

Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
Sorry - never meant to suggest OP did not have permission. But there are a lot of folk - often younger - on this forum who will look at a post like this and think it is terrific fun (Which of course it is) and have a go across the next field they see without thinking that they need permission.

OP - I'm sorry if you thought I was having a go at you. Absolutely I wasn't. But not everyone is as responsible as you.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well done OP, enjoy!
I am glad to see you walk your line first, as BSL says. This year, with it being so wet, the combine has left deep wheelings that you wouldn't want to hit at the wrong angle.
You need to put pics up that we can see! Ditch photobucket. :)

scats

Visit site
I'm wondering if we'll have any form of stubble this year as our farmer has planted beans. They are nearly due to be harvested as the beans have gone black (these are for animal feed apparently) but I'm not sure what we will be left with in terms of stubble/stalk to ride on.

Last year we didn't have the stubble for long as instead of leaving it for several weeks and then turning it with a fertiliser, they planted radishes, as apparently they act as a natural fertiliser. This meant we only got the stubble for a week, but it did mean we had it to ride on all winter once the radishes popped out.

11bluewolf

Visit site
Ive seen so many videos of people galloping across stubble fields and it looks great! Unless you know them How do you go about contacting the farmer/ owner of the field to get permission?

BSL

Visit site
I have found out by word of mouth and then written a letter. Sometimes i have bumped into and asked face to face. Re stubble. The reality is that often all is not what it appears. Often ground is concrete hard or knee deep mud, stoney and full of rabbit holes. Please take care.

ceva

Visit site
Hi, we went on our stubble a for the first time yesterday, my horse gave some super bucks which I managed to sit too, got fab video of it but don't know how to post video, why does the stubble excite the horses so much, my horse never bucks any other time when I'm cantering along, it was brilliant.

BBP

Visit site
Good to see everyone getting permission. Ive had to explain to the young girl who rides our companion pony that you can't just blast across fields that don't belong to you. Our local farmer hates horse riders as so many have bombed across his fields. He often direct drills the stubble so these riders cause all sorts of damage. I used to love galloping on stubble when I kept my old horse on the yard belonging to the farmer.

Seville

Visit site
I have never "got" the stubble thing. Stubble fields aren't soft, they are often hard, stony dirt fields. You want to gallop about on that? Stubble isn't soft to ride on, and during summer the fields are like rock. I have never seen the point, personally, but hey......!

11bluewolf

Visit site
I have thought about this! The ones I've seen are full of stones, are they all like this? i wouldn't want to be galloping on them..