Stubborn hives

ElliePippa

Visit site
Would be grateful for any thoughts/suggestions.

For around three weeks my mare has been suffering with stubborn hives, which started after she was brought in from the field, after I believe, becoming too hot in her turnout (although it could have been a number of other factors that caused it). They started as very angry, extensively covering her neck, back and quarters. They settled with a few days of antihistamines but then came back.

Up until now they have remained pretty stubbornly. Some have becoming dry and flaky with hair loss, some have become firm and remained, others dissapearwd with twice as many coming up next to them.

I have washed coat in cool water, tried aloe Vera, left coat alone, washed in hibiscrub, and since reclipped her in case she was too warm. She wears a Rambo sweet itch hoody when turned out.

She is fed speedi beet/fast fibre , linseed, brewers yeast, salt and pro balance, plus global herbs restore (since the hives started). She is bedded on straw and always has been.

The vet attended a few days ago and have an iv steroid (which I don't want to re do as she's a chunky cob), took bloods for allergy testing and prescribed 30 piriton a day. Steroid and piriton reduced the hives by about 80%... then once I put her back out a 48 hours later she was covered in hives again.

I'm starting to get really really fed up with this, I've been unable to attend two competitions this month , and don't want to ride her when she's flared up over her back. She's otherwise very well in herself and looks very well (aside from looking like bubble wrap!!) Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas or experience of this sort of thing?

Anything appreciated, sorry for wittering on x

scats

Visit site
I had a horse allergic to certain sugars in grass at particular times of year. He came in looking like the elephant man on a regular basis. We got it relatively under control by the use of piriton and working out which fields set him off worst and avoiding them, but it did very much dictate when he could be ridden as sometimes he would have hives over his body for weeks.

ElliePippa

Visit site
I had a horse allergic to certain sugars in grass at particular times of year. He came in looking like the elephant man on a regular basis. We got it relatively under control by the use of piriton and working out which fields set him off worst and avoiding them, but it did very much dictate when he could be ridden as sometimes he would have hives over his body for weeks.

Thanks will keep that in mind... just been up to see her and they're looking even worse, she's absolutely covered and they look so red and angry :-( I'm at a loss!

Jesschest

New User
Visit site
ElliePippa did you manage to figure out what yours is allergic to? I'm currently going through a similar issue with my mare!