Stud cards

I keep my horse clipped in winter and clip.....

• Total voters

Alec Swan

Visit site

T-E,

On your first post I found that I fitted in with the higher percentage. On your second, I couldn't find out how to "specify" my thoughts, regarding the "other" box. For me I would wish to know as much as possible about the dam line. Specifically, what have they produced, and to whom were they put.

Your horse will be too young to have any competing progeny, so I would suggest that the next best thing to support him, would be his antecedents. 1st. 2nd. and 3rd dams. What did they produce?

In the event that there is only so much room on a stud card, would it perhaps, be an idea to suggest that, for his extended results, then interested parties may care to view his website page?

By the way, your posting was a most intelligent way of combining market research and marketing, and I mean it! Very well done, and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to hear that other stallion owners view your results with keen interest!

Alec.

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
Thanks Alec for the compliment and also to everyone who has bothered to tick the boxes.

I have to say that before I posted this I had thought the trifold would be the best option but from the results so far it looks like we may be going for the A5 double sided card option instead.

Please do keep the ideas coming as they are all greatfully recieved and considered.

Simsar

Visit site
I would just like to add that a Stud card is a pre info to the Stallion so mares owners are encouraged to phone with questions if so required so don't worry to much about the info that is left off.

As above have metioned put all info on your website and hopefully the web page can hold everything covered above on your poll.

KarynK

Visit site
Personally I like to see a 3 generation pedigree somewhere on the card even if it is a background print, and I would put a fair bit of info on the card as some people are not very technically minded and may not have internet access.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Please please have - what the dam did, and any other progeny of the dam did
-what the grand dam did, and any of her progeny

and not reams and reams of info on the sire/damsire unless they are not well known...Find it very very irratating when stud cards have realms of info about well known horses, i.e- like voltaire or cor de la byere or ramiro...for chrissakes everyone knows what these horses were!! Just one line about them would do! having several para's about them completely distracts from the actual stallion itself!

KarynK

Visit site
You tend to forget don't you, i was speeking to someone the other day and told her to google something, the blank look in return said it all!!!!!

millitiger

Visit site
i think most studcards are just a taster to catch people's interest and most people will go home and check the website out for further details.

also, are you going to laminate?
much nicer if they are laminated, especially if you have collected a few- the ones that tend to be kept longest are the laminated ones that haven't crumpled up in your bag in the way home!

irishdraught

Visit site
As a mare owner who has just started to request stud cards for my short listed stallions, I look for the following:

Name, breed, height and colour. I also look for bone measurement as that is where my own mare is slightly lacking.

Both dam and sire details including competition record of dam as she is more likely to be less known and any other sucessful offspring. Possibly a photo also.

Conf shots of stallion, not too bothered about posed jumping shots etc but would prefer an actual competition shot and stood up "naked".

Who graded with and competition record.

Price is a definate along with any concessions available eg to futurity/graded mares.

How available eg natural/fresh/chilled/frozen as this will narrow down my own particular search if the stallion is a considerable distance away.

It is a fine line between too much irrelevant splurge (for want of a better word) and not enough.

If it helps, when I ask for stud cards, I like to have that request acknowledged. My last choice of stallion was narrowed down to a particular one in the end due to the accommodating stallion owner. Sounds daft but to like the sound of someone is a biggie for me. When a stud does not have that personal touch, I will not use, no matter how good the stallion is reported to be.
crazy.gif

Hope that helps from a small breeders' point of view.
laugh.gif

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
I'd totally echo the comments regarding the motherline. Serious breeders will have a good idea about sire and dam sire already, and with a young stallion its the dam line that will help make him stand out from similarly bred others, combined of course with his own comp results

jamesmead

Visit site
Agree totally re. needing information on the damline, and the pointlessness of writing reams about any famous sires in the pedigree; also an address for any website or video footage that might be available.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Have to admit, I'm surprised that none of you have mentioned temperament as behind conformation, that to me - and many other small breeders breeding for themselves, is the most important attribute a stallion can have. No good having all the talent in the world if you can't handle it and we're not all breeding for the professionals.

irishdraught

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have to admit, I'm surprised that none of you have mentioned temperament as behind conformation, that to me - and many other small breeders breeding for themselves, is the most important attribute a stallion can have. No good having all the talent in the world if you can't handle it and we're not all breeding for the professionals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree, forgot to mention that one!
blush.gif

irishdraught

Visit site
Absolutely, but it helps to be able to narrow stallions down and then view those that tick the boxes. This is what I do or at the very least seek advise from those who I trust that have seen him. Video footage is also nice to be sent.

Although when using frozen semen from one RID, viewing was impossible as he'd been dead a number of years
grin.gif

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you could write that but you need to see it for yourself surely??

[/ QUOTE ]

I too think temperament is a thing that needs to be SEEN not read. It is quite easy to get a decent opinion of a horses conformation from a well taken photo, you can see blood lines on paper and photos of offspring are a plus, but temperament IMO has to be seen (as they say) to be believed.

sarahhelen1977

www.adonnis.co.uk
Slightly different, but I have just had some 'mini stud cards' printed for my boy. They are business card size, so fit safely in a wallet, they have a confo shot, his name, height, breed, colour and sire, AES licensed, stud fee, AI only, phone no and email on one side, a ridden shot, and websites on the other. Basic information, but with all contact details.
The reason I have had these made up is that I picked up something similar for a stallion in 2006 and still have it, whereas any other stud card I have picked up has ended up in the bin as a crumpled mess! Adonnis' full information is readily available on his website. I will probably get bigger stud cards made up too - A5 double sided I would think.

angrovestud

Visit site
We also do the same we print and then laminate a biz size card with photos of Ricco foals on it with our basic details tel no web adress and tel no and email we then put up laminated A4 posters in tack shops our loca feed company and then make a wallet for the cards so people can take then did 30 off cards yesterday for our boys will go up on Monday. they go off the shelf like hotcakes people love them.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you could write that but you need to see it for yourself surely??

[/ QUOTE ]

I too think temperament is a thing that needs to be SEEN not read. It is quite easy to get a decent opinion of a horses conformation from a well taken photo, you can see blood lines on paper and photos of offspring are a plus, but temperament IMO has to be seen (as they say) to be believed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do see your point and in a perfect world you all go to see the stallion but sometimes this is not possible for some reason or other. In that case, I do like to see it down in print that he has a good temperament and is passing this on. If temperament is not mentioned I am then always very wary and want to know why not!