Stud girths

RunToEarth

Visit site
Whenever I showjump on grass I like to stud infront, so I use a stud girth, when im riding other people's I ride in what they want.
But looking in the horse&hound this week I noticed that for xc they arnt used. Now I know jacksh*t about them really, I only stud behind for xc and have never felt the need to do otherwise. So for xc do they use a type of stud that wont nick the horse when he folds
confused.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thats because a lot of eventers are lazy with their front legs and dont often pick them up with their hooves right into their chests like showjumpers do!
Look at Moon fleets jumping style- all dangly leggy!

KatB

Visit site
Yep and the eventer I used to work for said if a horse jumped properly he wouldnt stud himself anyway, as legs tucked up infront instead of under...
smirk.gif
I use one though!!

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thats because a lot of eventers are lazy with their front legs and dont often pick them up with their hooves right into their chests like showjumpers do!

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with that - you seldom see an eventer horse who tucks his legs underneath him like an SJer - I have no understanding why tho!

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree too, always used one on Boss as he is snappy in front but that doesnt seem too common amongst eventers!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Ok thanks for that guys, just got rather confused about it all, but yes that does make a lot of sence. You would think they would really get their legs well out of the way, but referring back to the H&H you are very right
grin.gif

Saf

community.webshots.com
Hi
I would never jump without one with studs in, have quiet a few marks on my girth and I don't consider Saf to be that snappy in front but it does go to show the damage that could be done
wink.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
A well known advanced horse had a horrific injury due to his studs- ripped open his whole chest and wasnt a pretty sight- I dont think I could go without!!