STUD GIRTHS

Joss

Visit site
Does anybody use a stud girth? I know they are quite trendy but does anyone have much experience of a horse actually catching himself up under the belly with front studs. I always use relatively small studs in front even if I have quite big ones in the outside of the hinds.

A recent XC photo showed my boy with his toes tucked up really high but it looks like he is more in danger of nicking his elbows than under his belly.

I am really not a great fan of stud girths as they are so big & bulky but maybe i should consider it. What do you think?

sachak

www.pinkequine.com
i used to be very much of the same opinion of yourself tbh. but then when my friend said to me oneday jump in one and you will see why (she never jumps without one with or without studs) and the brand new stud guard id got for my mare was scratched sooo much ....

lillie07

Visit site
I wouldnt jump without one now having seen the state mine is and that is without studs!! At home use a Comfort Zone one which is flexible and lightweight
smile.gif

lucym

Visit site
i always use one when jumping with studs, i would rather be precautious, and mine is now pretty scratched up. i too have a comfort zone one, think its fab, lightwight, easy to wash and offers good coverage

flyingfeet

Visit site
You should be using a stud girth on all young horses training to be show jumpers and all the time jumping if you are serious.

The stud guard protects the horse from knocking its belly if it tucks (regardless of studs), so they are a really good idea if you want your horse to tuck.

I know many people see them as surplus to requirements, but very few young horse producers and top sj'ers, jump without them for these reasons

CrazyMare

Visit site
My mare tucks up lots, haven't ever noticed her catch herself. I looked for a stud girth for her, however the smallest size seems to be 44", she needs a 36" or a 38" so any bright ideas!?

hairycob

Visit site
Glad I found this girth. We have just started using studs last week & I bought a Kincade stud guard. Have only used it twice & it's scratched so definitely need it. BUT it's rubbed him so came on here to look for recommendations either on how to stop it rubbing or if it's a dead loss what is a good value one to buy. Teenage son will be buying it (with a bit of help from me) & his paper round money only goes so far.

only_me

Visit site
my horse wouldnt be the neatest in front - but he can tuck up if he has to and i got one because it only takes once for the stud to cut the horse!

i never jump without it now as he marked it without studs in!!!

H-J

www.piczo.com
I wear one with Dexter but never have any marks on it! And he is very careful with his fronts and very neat XC but I wear it as a precaution.

I dont have one with Dougal yet but think I may order a CZ one tonight as he needs a normal long girth.

CZ ones are good and the cheapest I think
smile.gif