Studding on hard ground

Horsegirl25

Visit site
I have just got stud holes put in my horses shoes, first time ever using studs so I have a starter kit etc with everything I will need !
Now I’m going to two shows this weekend, one showjumping (on grass) and then on the Sunday cross country, there has been no rain in Scotland this week so the ground is hard.
My question is should I stud? I have been told to still stud as the grass will be slippy but I worry that the ground will be too hard for the studs to penetrate (not sure if that is correct)
Should I just go without them or should I use them, my horse also has never had studs in before so will the hard ground make it more difficult for him ?
Sorry for the silly question !!

millitiger

Visit site
Can you have a go on grass at home tomorrow or Friday to practice studding and make sure horse is comfortable with them?

I still stud in hard ground, however use teeny tiny very sharp ones.
I stud 2 in front and only 1x outside behind but you can find 10 people and 20 opinions on that subject!

Horsegirl25

Visit site
Can you have a go on grass at home tomorrow or Friday to practice studding and make sure horse is comfortable with them?

I still stud in hard ground, however use teeny tiny very sharp ones.
I stud 2 in front and only 1x outside behind but you can find 10 people and 20 opinions on that subject!
Yes I could always ride in my field with them to try, the ones I have are small but they aren’t very sharp. Would you still use? I am worried that they will almost sit above the ground rather than in, not sure if that is even true !

My head is frazzled with everyone different opinions and I am still not further forward in what to do 😅

oldie48

Visit site
I used to decide on studs after we'd arrived and seen the condition of the ground, also how many classes had gone before how the ground was cutting up etc. but if the ground is very hard it was either small pointy ones or not run. When very new to using studs I used to find a more experienced person and ask for advice, generally people are really helpful. Best tip from my farrier was to clean the stud holes out the night before, pack well and give yourself lots of time to do the studs. Have a lovely time and enjoy!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
This time of year I always use the small ones from Supastuds. I basically only use 3 types throughout the year and usually have 2 in each foot unless first time of having studs then they start with one in the outside in case they are idiots. I never take boots off until studs are out and always have boots on with studs.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I always studded on hard ground and used the smallest pointy studs available. I found horse was more likely to slip on that then soft ground especially if you were competing in the morning when the dew was still on the grass.

Horsegirl25

Visit site
I used to decide on studs after we'd arrived and seen the condition of the ground, also how many classes had gone before how the ground was cutting up etc. but if the ground is very hard it was either small pointy ones or not run. When very new to using studs I used to find a more experienced person and ask for advice, generally people are really helpful. Best tip from my farrier was to clean the stud holes out the night before, pack well and give yourself lots of time to do the studs. Have a lovely time and enjoy!
Thank you, I have asked a few different people but I haven’t had one same response yet 🙈 I will see what the ground is like on Saturday and go from there ! Thank you