Student placement questions??

friesianfan69

Visit site
My daughter is starting at her placement on 5th jan 09, She will be getting under 16 min wage £3.53, i think i worked it out as £141 a week 7.30am to 4.30pm. The lady is taking £80 out of that for food and bills....I find that rather steep for a child her age on that wage...or am i wrong.
She will be living in a static home with the family of couple and 3 daughters...which im not best pleased about

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
hi,
havent any experience of anything like this but taking £80 does sound a lot, to say its for a shared (and sounds like rather cramped) static home.
hope someone will be along soon who has some experience of that kind of set up.

brightmount

Visit site
Do students get paid for placements - isn't that work experience? My daughter has never got paid for the shedloads of placements she had to do to go to vet uni.

As for an under 16 year old living in a static caravan with 5 strangers ... OMG!
shocked.gif

connie1288

Visit site
TBH this this kind of work is a law unto its self and if your not happy dont let her go. What people think is acceptable and what is are 2 very different things.

Murphy88

Visit site
I haven't been paid for the vast majority of my placements since I've been at uni, and was never paid for work ex before that, so I wouldn't be expecting anything. For 2 weeks lambing in 1st year, i got £200, and that was working 12/13 hours a day, and sharing a small cottage with 3 girls from a different uni. Living in the static home does sound a bit cramped, but I'm sure they will turn out to be lovely people!

friesianfan69

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My daughter never got paid for any work experience when still at school, and I reckon for getting a worker for free they should keep her free!
I wouldn't be happy about the set up either, isn't there anywhere else she could go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shes not at school anymore, Thanks for your advice
grin.gif