Studs for XC question

brightmount

Visit site
Sorry for the numpty question but we don't do a lot of Hunter Trials, however my daughter is doing one on Monday so I asked the farrier to put stud holes in the mare's shoes. His reply : "Do you think that's wise?".

I totally understand why he asked, as we have been battling for a while with crumbly hooves, primarily one hind, and are beginning to get somewhere at last. He said he has managed to put it on the best he ever has this time. However it would be a big setback for the shoe to get ripped off, which he thinks could happen with studs.

So what would you guys do? The ground might be quite good on Monday if it doesn't rain too much over the weekend. Would you go without? Would you put studs just on the fronts, or would that be the wrong way round? Would she be better off with none at all? My daughter is going for the experience, not to put in a spectacular time!

Advice from more experienced competitors appreciated!

ajn1610

Visit site
Studding is about personal preference, I like to put them the same all round because I feel this balances the foot better but I know people who only stud the outside because their horse is set close and they are worried about brushing/pulling shoes off. Some people put bigger ones in behind for grip on take off. I'd have him put the holes in go early and ride in the warm up to see how she copes. This is usually where the ground is worst because of wear and tear anyway. If she is OK in the warm up and your daughter rides sensibly in her round you should be fine. If she is losing her feet you can make a decision about which studs and where. Personally I'd be happy to have small/med sized studs on the outside of the shoes back and front, she shouldn't be able to damage herself like that but it'll help stop her slipping.

Visit site
I would not worry too much, but it will depend on the ground.
If you have had trouble keeping a back shoe on just stud in front. this will help the horse prepare to jump. If it is slippery and you have stud holes in the shoes you have the option to put studs in if you really think it is necessary.

suzysparkle

Visit site
I wouldn't put them in front and not behind. A Horse can cope with a bit of slipping in front far more than behind. I only ever put them in front if the going is really slippy. The rest of the time it's just behind. If you are worried about loosing shoes then just use one on the outside of each shoe as much less likely to pull one off. Also, use as small studs as possible for the ground.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
With the ground at the moment I don't think I would worry. The is generally a bit of give with the rain we have had and I don't think I ould risk putting the feet back. I would be more concerned if it was dry and hard as then I really do think you need studs as there is no grip but this would also do the most damage to your foot.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I know some eventers don't put studs in front in case they come off and the horse treads on them, so I'd go for studs behind if anything. Maybe get stud holes in the shoes, and go for the small, pointy ones...
There is also a debate about studs causing twisting motion of the foot if put on the outside/inside only....which could cause lameness in extreme cases.
Hope your daughter has a great time...
S
grin.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
I use studs in my horse xc mainly cos he's quite a heavy-on-his-legs type and does have a tendency to slip so he has more confidence (as do i) with studs in I feel. However, when I was a kid on ponies i don't think we'd ever heard of putting studs in so it wasn't something I'd ever considered and I never had any problems with my pony and he was especially quick x-country!

Ponies do tend to be rather more surefooted than horses to be honest so I wouldn't be overly concerned especially if she's not likely to be racing about that much.