studs - help needed!

LizScott

Visit site
Hi! this may sound completely dumb but I've never used studs on any horse before so don't have a clue about them!

Basically, I think (ha!!) I may be needing studs for x-country and show jumping this weekend as ground is so rubbish - getting pony shod tomorrow so will ask for stud holes. But are there a zillion different studs to choose from (if so which should I get - we're not doing anything over 3" but she's young and don't want her to loose confidence by slipping) and should I get front and back stud holes? Also, I think our next dressage comp is on grass - do I need studs for that and should I use same ones?

Sorry - probably sounds really obvious but I have no idea!!
Thanks!

WallisM

Visit site
Hi there,

First thing I would do is ring your farrier and tell him you need stud holes, They have to drill them you see so mighten beable to do that there and then.

You have 2 studs in each of the front feet and one on each hind. I use longer studs on the back probably about 2 cm and the ones on the front aren't as long be about 1 1/2cms.

Make sure you keep your stud holes clean, stuff cotton wool covered in vaseline in them, Makes it easy to pull out.

You can buy the proper stud kits for about £20 with various studs and tools.

x

dianchi

Visit site
Also make sure u have domed ones on the inside and points on the outside this way its less nasty if they stand on themselves!

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
I have been told by my farrier to use 2 studs infront as it help to balance the foot especially if youre jumping
As the impact on landing then doesnt jar their shoe/hoof to one side if you only have 1 stud in.

KatB

Visit site
Hmm, I only use one small one in front if necessary (normally just have in behind) but wont use 2 infront because of the amount of grip would give would cause unnatural jarring....very personal though studs!
smile.gif

kizzywiz

Visit site
My farrier said the same, 2 in front to balance the foot, my pony isn't shod behind, but my unusual combination works well for us!