Stupid horse, stupid owner!!!

Halfpass

Visit site
Hi all well here goes another accident from the big orange one!!! Went out to field night beofre last as usual to rug up and check before dark, and as we always do (trusting our boys implicitly) we trundled across field with rugs hoof pick and apples. Got rug on cob checked him over he's fine so turn out attention to 'orange' get rug half on (just chest straps done up) and he decides that he's not going to wait around for apples and canters off. All I can do is stand there and watch while rug flys over his back around his neck with him still galloping bucking etc. Rug is now hanging round front of neck and he is still going, I'm now peering through my fingers to see him tread on rug flip right over land on head get up and canter off. He does this not once, not twice but three times. He then just stands there looking at me as if to say what has just happend. Blood pooring from his nose, scrape on head and shoulder but he's sound so we leave him out thinking he won't seize up. Worryingly go up to see him next morning and he seems ok though feeling sorry for himself and I bring him in a clean up all the grazes (who knows where all that blood came from) and take him for a slow stroll out. He seems fine not lame just his knees that are alittle puffy. Turned him out last night in a field on his own just so he does not sieze up and I go up this morning just to find a shivering wet horse with is trashed rug round his neck again. Grrrrr. He lokks like he has done 10 rounds with a boxer, fat nose bump on eye lump on shoulder and 2 fat knees. Poor boy
frown.gif
. Lesson learnt though, i'll never put a rug on in the field again with out putting a head collar on and bringing them just outside of field. Could have been so much worse. He's going out on trial on Sunday what will they think
blush.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
I remember someone from last year posting about how their horse was PTS after this happening and breaking it's leg after tripping up. I have to be honest though, I always chuck rugs on in the field during the summer when they are eating breakfast / dinner, makes you think as so many of us must be guilty of this.

Glad your boy escaped with (hopefully!) minor injuries, hope he recovers soon
smile.gif

jacks_mum

Visit site
I always, where ever I'm putting on rugs, do the belly straps up first. I leave the chest straps till last. I f they gallop off with just the belly straps done up, the rug will slide down their bum and they step/gallop out of it without injury. I would never do up the chest straps first after seeing a similar thing happen.

Claireg9

Visit site
ah poor horsey! Seems like he was just as silly getting out of his rug the next day too!
O well lesson learnt like you say, imust admit i never do this i always put a head collar on especially as Blue hats me doing rug in the field it spooks her for some reason?? But Candy stands there, buti still dont like taking the risk!
Hope he recovers fine and dandy!

happyhack

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> He's lucky he escaped with a few bruises. a friend turned a horse out he tripped up, flipped and snapped his neck-died instantly. </span>

flyingfeet

Visit site
I put rugs on when they are loose nearly everyday

However generally with breakfast / dinner which they aren't inclined to leave.

I have to admit I do up the chest last too - which is a good thing, but only because its hard to do it up with them noshing.

Horrible when it goes wrong and you can do nothing but stand there and watch!

tarzipan06

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up about it, I have done some blinking stupid thinks in my life, sometimes it is the only way to learn. I put my ponies bit on the wrong way the other day1 hadn't noticed until YO pointed out.... so embarrassed but half the time I am always rushing around finding shortcuts. Glad no harm is done.

Theresa_F

Visit site
These things happen - I too put on rugs, spray, hoof pick etc in the field - I do give a small feed whilst doing this to keep them put.

When doing rugs, I do up belly straps, then chest and finally leg straps so that if they do take off, the rug is not round the neck. To date I have been lucky and to be honest will continue to do things in the field rather then spend 10 mins bringing back to the stables.

Hope he is ok.

randira

Visit site
Hi, it was my horse who broke her leg last year after a similar incident. All I can say is that you are very very lucky the horse is ok. We all do risky things, but with horses they can be very unforgiving. Don't punish yourself, just learn from it.

R xx