Stupid interfering idiots!!

lcharles

Visit site
Last night i went to the yard after work where i keep my two horses, Billy had tipped his water over but otherwsie everything was fine. He's kept in what is classed as a 'pen' when he isnt out in the field, which is the area twice the size of a large stable but is open with a shelter, a straw bed and his hay goes in his box at the end against the barn. He is quite happy and a lovely horse when he isnt being a clown or escaping!! lol x

My friend text me at half 11 last night saying 'someone at the yard said billy had no water at lunchtime and said they might call the RSPCA!'........really?! i did find this a little bit funny but also annoyed! Whats wrong with people?! he knocked his water over and would of had no more than 3 hours with no water at the most!! I know this isnt ideal but doesnt make him a RSPCA case!! lol x If i saw a horse had knocked his water over, i'd just put some more in for it and let the owner know....not go slaggin the owner off and say your going to call the RSPCA. Some people need to get a life and worry about the animals that really need help!!

Sorry bit of a pointless post but think this has annoyed me more than i actually thought now!! x

maggiesmum

Visit site
I know its infuriating but you have to ignore them, I know for a fact that someone on my yard 'b1tchs' about me behind my back - I imagine because they have nothing much going on in their own tedious lives - I take great pleasure in smiling sweetly and being overly polite to them whilst mentally running them through with a pitchfork. :D

Shellby27

Visit site
I think you will find a lot of horses at the moment will be without water until their owners return and defrost their water supply!!! If I had seen him without water I would have topped it up and left a note for the owner. You always get people that want to cause trouble! We had a neighbour send out the RSPCA to us about 25 years ago when we kept our first pony in our 1/2 acre garden. He was stabbled there at night and walked to a paddock in the day. Our neighbour was jealous so called the RSPCA saying we abused him and never fed him. When the RSPCA came out they laughed and said they had never seen a better cared for pony!

I personally would just ignore her!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I can undertand your irritation.

Did the person who saw he had no water actually fill his bucket or did they just gossip about your percieved lack of care ?

Perhaps giving the horse water and mentioning he'd knocked it over next time they saw you would have been more caring.

lcharles

Visit site
I don't tend to get involved with people other than saying hello and the general polite talk so it annoys me when people have nothing better to do! x I text her the number for the RSPCA in the end and told her to call them in case my rack of ribs horse dies because its out in 30degree whether with no water for 3 hours! I was annoyed!! lol x

It does annoy me!! I can only get to the stables once a day because i dont drive but theres always people who check on them, as i will check others horses if they ask me to! x

On new years day my mare coliced and the day after she had to be without feed, only water and some tw*t gave her hay because 'i hadnt been there to feed her and mare looked stressed!' when i'd actually slept all night in her stable with her and had gone home for some food. People don't think there may have been a reason that she had no hay!! x Should have reported my mare to the RSPCA too i guess!! x

Argh!!

About 10years ago when the big black fly masks that go over the horses ears came out, the RSPCA came out because someone had said we keep our pony with a bin bag over its head!! lmao!! x :eek::D:D:D

Spudlet

Visit site
Try standing his bucket in an old tyre - might make it harder to knock over.

ETa - personally I'd rather people who genuinely mean well reported 50 cases that turn out not to be neglect etc, than not report one real case because they don't want to be seen as intefering...

becca1305

Visit site
Wow bit of an overreaction! (providing she's been there a while and knows pony always has water). Accidents happen, and as you say if Id have seen a horse who usually has water with an upturned bucket I would have just refilled it! Id ignore it and not think anything of it tbh (though I understand why it got to you) horses seem to be lucky if the RSPCA do anything when they are actual welfare cases let alone being interested in a nobbin tipping his bucket over! :p

If he keeps doing it put another small bucket in a distance away from the first so it shouldnt be an issue :). I had to do this in the stable for a while when one of mine got in the habit of pooing in the water bucket, but he soon stopped doing it and I reverted back to one bucket :).

Last edited:

lcharles

Visit site
And no horserider, she didnt! she slagged me off to someone else who then gave him some water which would last until i got there! Bless her x YO said 'make sure the horses are looked after wont you? someone said he had no water earlier' when 3days ago he asked me to use less hay so it would last through the winter!! argh!! x My poor neglected horses!! x

B*tchiness doesnt bother me very often but i dont want people moaning about me when i enjoy seeing to my horses. The yard in general is really nice so it annoys me when one person runs their mouth off!! x

snoopyinfrance

Visit site
On a tangent:
Our neighbour called the RSPCA saying that our chickens had no shelter and were wet. It had been peeing with rain for days, and the silly girls refused to stand in their shelter or under the bushes.
When the RSPCA chap came out, it turned out that I knew him and we had a good chat (I'd helped him re-home horses at the yard). I was able to pick his brain about how best to put nesting boxes in. He said I was doing a great job; if they're laying, they're happy!
When he left he commented on how daft the caller had been as the shed was backed onto HER fence line.
They're not supposed to let you know who has called but it was pretty obvious (she was known in the area as Loony Julie). Anyway, the upshot of it was me stopping giving her the spare eggs so it was only her who lost out. Loony!!

Chin up, ignore if you can and rise above it. The RSPCA are not daft and will see immediately that you are caring for your horse.

Ladylina83

Visit site
Someone went in our field once at night and cut the grazing muzzels off the horses and left them on the floor !

It was an obvious slice - someone obviously didn't understand that it was because we ad just moved to summer grazing and we were trying to avoid Lami !!

bubbilygum

Visit site
People just like meddling. I find generally horsey folk like to think they know best and some can't keep their opinions to themselves! Rise above it, you know your horses are well looked after, people like that are just looking for trouble. I'd be annoyed though that they clearly knew that your horse should have water, and we're threatening to report you for it, yet did nothing to try and help resolve the situation... Seems a bit much. As suggested, try and tyre to stop your water tipping over, and if your horse is on restricted food intake (for colic/lami etc) put a notice up explaining the situation. I've had people giving my stabled laminitic horse hay when he ran out, when he was on a strict two-nets-per-day ration! People generally mean well, and I wasn't annoyed, but needed to make it clear that there was a reason he had no hay, not just me being neglectful!

Try to rise above it! It's hard when you feel like people are conspiring against you but it's all trivial at the end of the day! They'll get bored of it eventually.

lcharles

Visit site
Well he has a plastic dustbin filled with water and a normal sized tub too just in case he knocks one over x i might see if i can bungy strap the bin to the fence so it wont tip over when he decides its fun to try though!! x Most people are lovely on the yard and will use their initiative but others are just idiots! x im sure they wont report anything cuz i think i know how stupid they'd sound but its not very nice people gossiping and exaggerating the story to others on the yard even though seeing my horse they can tell there fine, it just makes me look bad x stupid people! x

Tickles

Visit site
Try standing his bucket in an old tyre - might make it harder to knock over.

ETa - personally I'd rather people who genuinely mean well reported 50 cases that turn out not to be neglect etc, than not report one real case because they don't want to be seen as intefering...

This ^ !

The bungee sounds like it may help :)

As others have said more buckets are also good (I know one who has 5!).

If a horse usually has hay and I saw it left without I might be concerned too. I always ask before offering treats (or food) to someone else's animal but a notice could be very helpful as horses can be quite persuasive when they see another being given carrots or similar!

onemoretime

Visit site
I don't tend to get involved with people other than saying hello and the general polite talk so it annoys me when people have nothing better to do! x I text her the number for the RSPCA in the end and told her to call them in case my rack of ribs horse dies because its out in 30degree whether with no water for 3 hours! I was annoyed!! lol x

It does annoy me!! I can only get to the stables once a day because i dont drive but theres always people who check on them, as i will check others horses if they ask me to! x

On new years day my mare coliced and the day after she had to be without feed, only water and some tw*t gave her hay because 'i hadnt been there to feed her and mare looked stressed!' when i'd actually slept all night in her stable with her and had gone home for some food. People don't think there may have been a reason that she had no hay!! x Should have reported my mare to the RSPCA too i guess!! x

Argh!!

About 10years ago when the big black fly masks that go over the horses ears came out, the RSPCA came out because someone had said we keep our pony with a bin bag over its head!! lmao!! x :eek::D:D:D
Oh Christ I laughed my head off at this. Why cant these people just go away.

lcharles

Visit site
My colicy mare did have a 'Nil by mouth' sign but she ripped it off the door!! dont think she approved of it!! x

feel better for having a rant!! x

Moomin1

Visit site
Tell me about it.

I broke my finger the other month and found it difficult to hang haynets up in my horse's stable, so I filled a wheelbarrow every night and tipped the hay on her floor instead. I tied her empty unused haynet outside her stable.

Next thing I knew I had a call from a girl at the yard one morning saying that another livery had been ranting and raving, effing and blinding about me saying that I am starving my horse because I hadn't been giving her any hay at nights for the past week. She didn't have the sense to LOOK IN HER STABLE, or even ring me/text me herself. I went and confronted her and she tried to make out she was just very concerned for ME because she thought I OBVIOUSLY couldn't afford to feed my horse anymore.

Stupid b**ch!

:mad:

flirtygerty

Visit site
On a yard we were at, we checked peoples stables we knew for whatever reason may not make it to the yard till much later in the day. This was agreed with the owners beforehand, as we were quite often first on the yard and all the horses with views onto the yard would shout where's my breakfast, so we would at least check hay/water, while doing ours, turn out weather permitting, everything is sortable with communication