Stupid people you encounter on a walk!

Dopeydapple

Visit site
One of the dogs I walk can be unpredictable with other dogs. His owners have been using a trainer who encourages them to get his attention and feed him treats when he has to pass other dogs so he doesn't get focussed on the dog and lose the plot. Obviously as his regular walker I continue this with him and he isn't really an issue at all. As he's not mine I like to err on the side of caution and make sure we have a bit more space between us and other dogs. On today's walk a guy with a mini schnauzer on a Flexi lead comes over (after seeing us move off the path out of his way) and asked if the dog was friendly, I said he was ok but can be unpredictable and as he's not mine I like to be safe and not have him meet strange dogs. The man dismissed this saying that he clearly wants to play and walked his dog right up to his face. I tried to keep in between the 2 dogs and again told the man he's not mine and can be unpredictable so would rather not risk anything, man continued to tell me that they were ok and then the dog I walk bolted the other side of me to try to get to his schnauzer (all playful not aggressive) who thankfully ran off. Why can't people just listen when they are told to take their dog away. This was an akita X sharpei so not a little dog by any means just thankful it wasn't the akita Malamute as if he meant trouble god knows what would have happened...

Cahill

Visit site
flexie leads are the work of the devil.
yes,if i walk through the houses,i often meet this situation,you get to the side,get dogs attention and still the other party will amble by `they just want to play/say hello`.
i have a rescue sbt who gets worried in close situations with dogs he doesn`t know-he wears a muzzle and a orange `no dogs` harness and still it happens.
if he does have a grr,it is the only way he has of saying get out my face.
he wears a muzzle because of being a sbt,he would always get the blame.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
People can be idiots. Simple.

I've had people allow their small and medium sized dogs bark at my lot. Mine just look and walk on. I said to one chap a week or so ago that if my dog did what his was doing then he'd be giving me an ear bashing over it.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh goodness, this is really one of my pet peeves! 10 years ago I was looking after my parents' dog at Christmas and took him for an evening walk on Christmas Eve (fortunately deciding to leave my puppy at home). We met a couple of chocolate labs and they suddenly attacked him. He was ok once I got the main culprit off him, but he did lose a leg.

Ever since I absolutely do not let my dogs interact with strange dogs out walking, but no matter how much I warn people off (usually tell them mine aren't friendly even though that's not really true), or walk in the other direction, or pick them up, there is always the odd person who just insists that their dog must meet mine. People seem to take it as an quite the insult too if you won't let your dog meet theirs, heaven knows why

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I walk a 'reactor'. Like you I make absolutely sure that I give plenty of room to other dogs. But unlike you I don't play nice with my words. I am very clear to owners of loose dogs or those allowing a dog on a lead over for a chat that my dog will attack. If I'm walking on a narrow path I tell anyone coming my way which side I will be placing my dog and which side I will pass them.

They guy sounds like a prime twonk!

maisie06

Visit site
I make mine sit quietly at heel while strange dogs pass by, had one idiot with a reactive GSD type decide to test his training and let it run towards mine on it's flexi to "see if it was ok with smaller dogs" Told him no way was he experienting with my gundog and to **** off....luckily I walk in areas where we don't bump into too many people these days...I won't walk in the town where I live as too many stupid people with decidely iffy dogs allowed to roam around off lead...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'm not nice with other owners being idiots, they will be told. A lovely lady let her dog in a flexi get tangled with Brig yesterday, I untangled and told her not to let that happen, it's not good when Brig is defensive due to sight/hearing loss. I'm sick of disciplining other people's dogs because they're on their phone, ignoring/can't recall their own dog. It's very wearing.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Like Dabdab ,I just avoid other people at all costs. I have no time for their idiocy and prefer to spend my precious time with my dogs with them. Mine do interact with others, at agility, dog shows, grooming comps, ring craft, etc. Generally in places with a few select others who I know can handle their dogs in a responsible manner. Not with general public that have their heads so far up their backsides....

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Again I find myself on repeat... owning a dog requires examination and licence. I've seen with my own eyes some terrible disasters by incapable owners.

(Should probably extend to some horse owners too & possibly children :D)

paisley

Visit site
"He's friendly and just wants to play" is the phrase I'm most bored of hearing as some out of control dog starts harassing mine. Its like the canine equivalent of putting your car hazards to excuse any action you like.

God knows I've been there with occasional poor manners during his youth but the level of grovelling and apologising I did!

I'm starting to consider the reply " I'm not friendly, and I'd quite like to punch you in the face"

Moobli

Visit site
Stupid, ignorant people are in most places unfortunately. I do much prefer to walk my dogs in the hills and forests where I live, where you rarely see another soul, but also like to take my younger GSD down to the beach and woods off the hill so that he continues to see strange people, dogs, traffic etc. Invariably when I do go to more populated walking areas there are fools who allow their dogs to rush over to mine without any warning and thankfully my dog is okay with strange dogs so long as they aren't acting in a threatening or over-bearing manner, but it totally pisses me off. I have had a run in with the same 'professional' (and I use the term very loosely!) dog walker twice. She has far more dogs than she can possibly hope to control, they all run ahead so she cannot see what they are doing or whether they are annoying anyone else and they have twice charged at me and my dog (and also once when I had my younger son with me) barking and growling. I had words with her both times and threatened to report her for having dogs dangerously out of control. She seems completely ignorant of the fact that she is putting her clients dogs in a potentially compromising position - and if I encounter her again under similar circumstances, I WILL report her. It is high time that the dog walking profession came under some sort of regulation imo.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
flexie leads are the work of the devil.
Can I just correct that to 'flexi leads in the hands of numpties are the work of the devil'?

We always walk the JRT on a flexi lead, as he's a bit reactive to other dogs, plus once he gets a scent, his recall is gone and so would he be :eek3:. However, he's only allowed the the full length of it in appropriate situations, and we put him on 'short lead' anywhere else. Flexi leads have a locking button, which many folk don't seem to be able to find...

Recently we were just returning to the car park after a long walk. A woman was standing around at the entrance to the car park with a dog. We exchanged brief 'hello's', with our JRT firmly on short lead, then we went over to the car to open it up. Whilst we were distracted with getting things ready to put the JRT in his travelling cage, this blimmin woman walked behind us right across the otherwise empty car park to bring her dog right over to sniff ours. She didn't actually speak to us. He luckily didn't react. I told her that was a really bad idea and she stomped off. Later, she overtook us in her car a high speed on a narrow lane. Wtf?

planete

Visit site
I am perversely beginning to enjoy the horrified look of numpty owners who have let their dog charge me and my dogs when they are on lead. The resulting "We would love for you to get just a bit nearer so we can show you what we think of your manners", from my three can be quite satisfying! The owners do not need to know my lot are all mouth and no trousers. If dogs leave us alone they do not pay them any attention. The last Lab who tried his luck on Sunday actually leapt back as he reached us. I smiled sweetly and left the man and his wife arguing over the incident. :rolleyes3:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
its the amount of neutered male dogs that are reactive to entire male dogs I've met recently that staggers me. Having not had a male dog (neutered or otherwise) who is reactive against other males I've found it surprising. Both of mine are unneutered and non-reactive but Quarrie doesnt appreciate dogs right in his face and Fitz is nervous of such dogs. is it because entire males are the more unusual these days?

I.M.N.

Visit site
its the amount of neutered male dogs that are reactive to entire male dogs I've met recently that staggers me. Having not had a male dog (neutered or otherwise) who is reactive against other males I've found it surprising. Both of mine are unneutered and non-reactive but Quarrie doesnt appreciate dogs right in his face and Fitz is nervous of such dogs. is it because entire males are the more unusual these days?

My entire GSD is constantly got at by other dogs with the obligatory "Is he entire? Oh, that would be why" as if it's my problem. I don't mind as luckily he doesn't either and he never has a go back and tends to turn tail and run if it's a bad one and the panicked look on the owners face when their Snuggles is trying to sink its teeth into what is obviously a big, vicious, GSD *insert eye roll* is priceless.

paddy555

Visit site
I echo many of the remarks especially dog owners with their out of control dogs and my horses and dogs on flexibles on cycle tracks where I have had a couple of very near misses.

I did, however, want to remark on one older chap I saw yesterday and his BC. His control and training were exemplary. He was riding his bike on cycle tracks and into the small town. Dog was so perfectly at heel with the bike as it was led on a lead off the bike it was unbelievable, I watched them slow down, cross roads etc and they were so together. It ignored everything, dogs, cars, people, kids. It just got on with the job. Lovely to watch them.

wren123

Visit site
I've got a very submissive dog and that seems to bring out the worst in other dogs.
She is obedient and walks at heel without a lead and I have had dogs run over and growl and snap at her while she cowers by me.
I wrote about an incident on here once and it was suggested that me being nervous of big dogs snapping at her was causing the problem! Well shoot me now I'm certainly guilty of being nervous of a big dog running over to me growling and barking!

GirlFriday

Visit site
I'm afraid that if someone with a dog I don't like the look of tells me theirs is friendly and/or asks me if mine is I don't say anything as equivocal as "ok but can be unpredictable" I go for a straight "mine is not" or "no". If we thaw out a bit from there that is all good but I don't start with any positives at all unless I'm feeling it will work.

Cahill

Visit site
Can I just correct that to 'flexi leads in the hands of numpties are the work of the devil'?

We always walk the JRT on a flexi lead, as he's a bit reactive to other dogs, plus once he gets a scent, his recall is gone and so would he be :eek3:. However, he's only allowed the the full length of it in appropriate situations, and we put him on 'short lead' anywhere else. Flexi leads have a locking button, which many folk don't seem to be able to find...

Recently we were just returning to the car park after a long walk. A woman was standing around at the entrance to the car park with a dog. We exchanged brief 'hello's', with our JRT firmly on short lead, then we went over to the car to open it up. Whilst we were distracted with getting things ready to put the JRT in his travelling cage, this blimmin woman walked behind us right across the otherwise empty car park to bring her dog right over to sniff ours. She didn't actually speak to us. He luckily didn't react. I told her that was a really bad idea and she stomped off. Later, she overtook us in her car a high speed on a narrow lane. Wtf?

sorry,have to disagree,i have seen many a lock fail and also seen burnt hands.
a long line is a much better option.
i did use a flexi when i first got my pup as did not have the confidence at first to let him off lead-all this done was taught him to pull and it gave me retraining to do.
also there is the danger of it becoming worn and not noticed.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I have to agree with Cahill re flexileads.

I had a corker the other day, walking the girls at home when I notice someone in the distance with a dog. I hadn't got their leads as we were at home and pup isn't old enough to trust her obedience yet so I turned back and had taken them into our front paddock out of the way of the footpath. The owner had annoyed me anyway as she had one of those Ball throwers and was lobbing it into the sugar beet which isn't on. She wandered down our drive idly throwing said ball wherever her arm might flail and launched it over a blackthorn and wire fence into paddock, dog jumped over and made a bee line for pup. I had baby in carrier so I could do literally nothing other than shout to the dog walker and boot her dog off. "He's friendly, just wants to play" unfortunately she caught me on a bad day and had to have both barrels. I want to ram those ball throwers up people's bottoms they annoy me so much.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Well, I cope fine with a flexi lead :). You do need to keep an eye on them to see that the mechanism is working ok. I keep my thumb depressed on the lock button when on short lead.
It probably helps that we mostly walk out in the sticks, and may see one or two other dogs on a day walk. It beats waiting for an hour above a rabbit hole listening to the JRT woofing underground, I know he shouldn't do it but he does, given the slightest whiff of an opportunity :eek:.
I did see them used most unwisely recently with two very undisciplined schnauzers at an arena eventing competition, in and around the horses in the lorry park area on full extension, and hauling the owners over to every other dog.

catxx

Visit site
Flexi leads need to be banned at events. The amount of times I've tripped over those without the owner's noticing, especially at big events like Badminton. Argh!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
1. If you can't stop your dog commuting from Point A to Point B with your voice, keep it on a lead
2. If you can't stop your dog commuting from Point A to Point B with your voice, do not use a flexi line

Assume Point B is another dog of unknown temperament, someone who doesn't like dogs, a busy road, a railway, a field full of livestock, etc etc.
As a supposed nation of doglovers I don't know why so many are happy for theirs to bomb off into potentially dangerous situations.

Aside from that I totally agree with PnP

ApolloStorm

Visit site
My female GSD and I encounter so many idiot dog owners we have lost count- Most recently a family with a young cockapoo type thing. My girl was in a down stay focused on me on a sizeable park field- I had spotted it racing over, kept her attention. They were calling it and calling it to no avail. It then proceeded to jump all over her, she then stood up ( I don't expect her to put up with that kind of behaviour) and gave chase to the little fluffy dog ( she adores little dogs and is so gentle with them) sniffing it, the little dog then realised she's a massive monster dog and runs away SQUEALING like a pig. I call my dog back, and the people finally come over and get their dog. They looked close to giving me a mouthful but had they they would have gotten a sharp reality check! We also encountered an ignorant woman and her partner who had a small LLaso type dog and a puppy pug- My dog was on the lead, no harm to either dog- she screamed and picked up the pug, and shouted oh those dogs are so mean( meaning the GSD)- I HAD to stop and say something, so I explained that not all big dogs are mean, mine in particular is fine with small dogs- but If she kept behaving like that round all big dogs- her pug would have a *major* issue with big dogs by the time its an adult. I persuaded her to put it down and let them greet- lo and behold, the pug had a GREAT time, and they sniffed and played a bit, no teeth no squealing, just lots of play bowing and running.

NinjaPony

Visit site
My female GSD and I encounter so many idiot dog owners we have lost count- Most recently a family with a young cockapoo type thing. My girl was in a down stay focused on me on a sizeable park field- I had spotted it racing over, kept her attention. They were calling it and calling it to no avail. It then proceeded to jump all over her, she then stood up ( I don't expect her to put up with that kind of behaviour) and gave chase to the little fluffy dog ( she adores little dogs and is so gentle with them) sniffing it, the little dog then realised she's a massive monster dog and runs away SQUEALING like a pig. I call my dog back, and the people finally come over and get their dog. They looked close to giving me a mouthful but had they they would have gotten a sharp reality check! We also encountered an ignorant woman and her partner who had a small LLaso type dog and a puppy pug- My dog was on the lead, no harm to either dog- she screamed and picked up the pug, and shouted oh those dogs are so mean( meaning the GSD)- I HAD to stop and say something, so I explained that not all big dogs are mean, mine in particular is fine with small dogs- but If she kept behaving like that round all big dogs- her pug would have a *major* issue with big dogs by the time its an adult. I persuaded her to put it down and let them greet- lo and behold, the pug had a GREAT time, and they sniffed and played a bit, no teeth no squealing, just lots of play bowing and running.

In fairness, sometimes you don't know the circumstances with small dogs.My small fluffy dog got attacked by a GSD when she was a puppy and is now scared of GSD's, and then a few years later nearly got torn apart by a random staffie off lead (my dog has always been kept on a lead for her safety) and nearly died. So now, I'm afraid, I keep my dog close to me, and if off lead dogs run up to her I pick her up. To be honest I don't really care if the owner is offended-I have no way of knowing that said dog isn't going to go for my dog again and having nearly lost her once, there is no way I am going to risk it again. It's sad because I spent a lot of time socialising her, and making sure she would be confident with bigger dogs, but I can't let strange dogs near her any more. I don't believe that all GSDs/ staffies are dangerous by any means, and I now avoid all strange big dogs, not just specific breeds, but my dog is scared of those breeds, understandably. Not suggesting that woman with the pug was sensible-sounds like all was well, and did her dog a lot of good to meet yours, and yours was on a lead anyway - this is a wider rant about how I get fed up with people who can't understand why I don't want their random massive off lead dog charging over to my tiny dog on a lead when I'm clearly trying to avoid said dog. Now I tend to try and walk her at quiet times and in quiet places. Sad, but the reality when people can't control their dogs...

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
"He's friendly and just wants to play" is the phrase I'm most bored of hearing as some out of control dog starts harassing mine. Its like the canine equivalent of putting your car hazards to excuse any action you like.

This, oh god this, I hear you. Ditto Pucci too.

I perversely love this time of year as almost no-one else walks their dog in the dark; armed with the world's most dazzling head torch we are still on our usual schedule, only without a single numpty to spoil it...!

ApolloStorm

Visit site
In fairness, sometimes you don't know the circumstances with small dogs.My small fluffy dog got attacked by a GSD when she was a puppy and is now scared of GSD's, and then a few years later nearly got torn apart by a random staffie off lead (my dog has always been kept on a lead for her safety) and nearly died. So now, I'm afraid, I keep my dog close to me, and if off lead dogs run up to her I pick her up. To be honest I don't really care if the owner is offended-I have no way of knowing that said dog isn't going to go for my dog again and having nearly lost her once, there is no way I am going to risk it again. It's sad because I spent a lot of time socialising her, and making sure she would be confident with bigger dogs, but I can't let strange dogs near her any more. I don't believe that all GSDs/ staffies are dangerous by any means, and I now avoid all strange big dogs, not just specific breeds, but my dog is scared of those breeds, understandably. Not suggesting that woman with the pug was sensible-sounds like all was well, and did her dog a lot of good to meet yours, and yours was on a lead anyway - this is a wider rant about how I get fed up with people who can't understand why I don't want their random massive off lead dog charging over to my tiny dog on a lead when I'm clearly trying to avoid said dog. Now I tend to try and walk her at quiet times and in quiet places. Sad, but the reality when people can't control their dogs...

Totally would have understood her reaction had mine been off lead and charging over/ being a PITA- but she was ambling along on the lead next me looking like her usual dopey self. I always make sure if I see an on lead dog to call mine back and put her on too- I know very well that even if the little dog starts the fight- its usually going to be blamed on the big dog! So avoid the situation entirely, it always shocks me when people comment on my dogs training in amazement- she will recall out of any situation, when I would consider that basic training for any dog of any size! Its worse with a family I have encountered who have a Goldendoodle of which they have precisely zero control.

pippixox

Visit site
My last dog was a GSD and he was reactive with most other dogs out of fear from lack of socialization before we got him. It actually in some ways worked in his favour that he was a large GSD as people would sometimes keep their distance anyway.

I now have a friendly (probably over friendly) border collie rescue. Although she is friendly and mostly well behaved, she has a chase drive and didn't get out of a house for 2 years before we got her, so is a work in progress! so i don't trust her recall despite 9 months of having her.

But I have realized even with a friendly dog I prefer avoiding the dog walking hot spots- its not fun keeping an eye out for badly behaved dogs. I am lucky she has barns and fields where my horses are to run around with just a few others dogs

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Also drives me batty. We own a very reactive dog and use the same method when meeting other dogs and people. If he has time to assess a situation without being pressured (ie. strangers lunging to cuddle him) he has no problems. He is very gentle with children and 99% of the time with other dogs too. If strangers completely ignore him for around a minute, he will then be the friendliest dog in the world with them too - he just needs a bit of time first. People on walks drive me batty - they lunge right down to his face, even if he is barking and making it clear he doesn't want them by his face. He has never bitten anyone, but sometimes I wouldn't blame him! We work so hard to keep him calm, to allow him to cope and train him with distraction techniques, but all the good is undone in seconds by moronic people who don't listen when I ask them not to stroke him. Unfortunately for him he is beautiful which draws people to him.

pippixox

Visit site
Also drives me batty. We own a very reactive dog and use the same method when meeting other dogs and people. If he has time to assess a situation without being pressured (ie. strangers lunging to cuddle him) he has no problems. He is very gentle with children and 99% of the time with other dogs too. If strangers completely ignore him for around a minute, he will then be the friendliest dog in the world with them too - he just needs a bit of time first. People on walks drive me batty - they lunge right down to his face, even if he is barking and making it clear he doesn't want them by his face. He has never bitten anyone, but sometimes I wouldn't blame him! We work so hard to keep him calm, to allow him to cope and train him with distraction techniques, but all the good is undone in seconds by moronic people who don't listen when I ask them not to stroke him. Unfortunately for him he is beautiful which draws people to him.

yes my MIL have a Pomeranian, and he has always been reactive with dogs he doesn't know and does not like children. but as he is white, small and fluffy people want to rush to him, he is old now with very few teeth, but there have been lots of close calls with him threatening to bite because people don't ask or listen to her warning he doesn't like dogs/children/crowding around him