Stupid question but... Gamgee/bandage washing?

Cedars

Visit site
Hope this isn't a totally ridiculous question!

Horse has v bad mud fever ATM, vet in attendance and we're obviously treating it - but we're just creating reams and reams of messy fleece bandages and the gamgee-type padding for underneath it.

Got a few that need washing but not sure what to wash it in? Just warm water won't do it as some are very creamy and yucky, but concerned about soaps irritating his already very sore skin?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Littlelegs

Visit site
That's what I do too. Except make sure the velcro is fastened so it doesn't come out covered in fluff. I've got sensitive dry skin anyway, so just used my normal stuff.

packwood

Visit site
Slightly off your question but I have a pony who until this year had very bad mud fever every year. We used all the washes creams bandages and on BUT this year we have done it differently. All summer we Pig oiled her legs once a week. Then when it started to be wet (about June!!) we upped it to every couple of days. I never brush them just run my hand down to get dried mud off - and she has no sign of mud fever at all. I realise its too late for youthis year but this regime is really worth a try - a gypsy told me to do this!

Cedars

Visit site
Thanks - unfortunately this horse is brand brand new to us and came with it! So we're just fixing the problem right now. It's a good tip to remember for the summer though - thanks! :)

Auslander

Visit site
Im in the mudfever club too! Treating it sightly differently - with an antibiotic/antifungal/steroid lotion that my vet makes up - no bandaging. The lotion has knocked the exudative, inflammatory, manky stage on the head very quickly, and I'll be using manuka honey for the next week or so - painted onto the leg, wrapped loosely in kitchen roll, then gel-eze bandage pads and bandages - the kitchen roll/gel pads make the whole process far cleaner!

diamonddogs

Visit site
You can wash gamgee?

Hope so, because the price of it's a joke these days. Back in the day we'd use gamgee for cleaning cuts and grazes to save on cotton wool!

*Shuffles off muttering "Young people today, don't know they're born" and "Have I had me tea yet?"*