Stupid question re grazing muzzles!

Michen

Visit site
Hi,

My horse is currently out during the day muzzled (for about 12 hours) and on ad lib soaked hay overnight. He's recovering from a lameness where his feet were trimmed too aggressively which the vets initial thought had caused stress laminitis, though the verdict is now just a case of sore toes. However he has spent three weeks on box rest and gone from being very lean and fit to a bit on the porky side (not overweight but he's gained a lot in a short space of time) so I am airing on the side of caution re laminitis as he's heavier and working less (still in walk work) as I get him back to full fitness.

However he literally poos half as much in the stable overnight when he has been muzzled during the day. I can't help but be concerned at how much the muzzle has reduced the amount he does, obviously it would make sense as I believe it restricts their intake about 70% but surely it can't be healthy for him to have so much less going through his gut that he is pooing half as much as normal???

Has anyone else found the same?

Michen

Visit site
Same. That's a good idea... I shall attack with some scissors tonight. He was vile to me this morning so he's clearly not enjoying not being able to stuff his face!

I'd be more comfortable with a bit more than that! Can you make the hole in his muzzle a bit bigger?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Maybe he just needs to work on his technique :p

Honestly if he is having ad lib overnight I wouldn't worry too much I don't think it is volume going through the gut that is an issue little bits and often is fine and would be what would happen if they were picking/browsing on poor stuff 'in the wild'
F is in 7am-6pm ish and probably does 3/4 droppings in that time but he poos big, and they are all in one spot so hard to accurately count :p. I don't worry as he has ad lib hay when in.

SpringArising

Visit site
Honestly if he is having ad lib overnight I wouldn't worry too much I don't think it is volume going through the gut that is an issue little bits and often is fine and would be what would happen if they were picking/browsing on poor stuff 'in the wild'

+1

He doesn't need to be gorging himself during the day - as long as he's trickle feeding constantly that's fine.

wingedhorse99

Visit site
+1

He doesn't need to be gorging himself during the day - as long as he's trickle feeding constantly that's fine.

My horses are wearing an dinky muzzle and an easy breath muzzle. Both seem to have pretty large holes, and with long ish grass I think my horses are still getting to eat a reasonable amount, but are slowed down.

I've got big warmbloods, and no history of issues, and moderate slowing down is hopefully enough.

I'd highly recommend the Dinky muzzle. Sadly not big enough for my bigger horse.

Mine are out about 12-16 hours in the muzzle, and seeming to be okay for being hungry / hangry / eating loads of hay when come in.

I do make a point of offering access to hay unmuzzled before riding for about 20 minutes.

My horses do eat hay whenever offered, which they didn't in summer if our 24-7 unmuzzled in previous years.

But aren't demolishing much hay when in.

wingedhorse99

Visit site
My understanding is that a grazing muzzle will only reduce an efficient grazer's intake by about 15%. My mare is a very efficient grazer and has hers on 24/7.

Most muzzles reduce intake by up to 70%

I think green guard say approx 40% reduction

Shires bucket small hole style closer to 70%

Dinky and Easy breather more like 50% I'd guess

Does depend on length grass too .