Stupid question really - riding WITH stirrups...?

MidnightStar

Visit site
I know this is a bit of a silly question but does anyone have any idea on how to ride with stirrups?
crazy.gif
blush.gif

The thing is, riding without them I'm fine - more than happy at walk, trot, canter and jumping up to about 3' and I'm fairly sure that my basic position etc. is ok. The only trouble is, as soon as I take my stirrups back I have a tendancy to grip with my knees so my lower leg tends to go forwards. It's affecting how my horse goes too as he'll happily work actively etc. from behind when I'm without stirrups but with them, he'll go above the bit and hollows quite badly as I can't use my legs effectively.

Please, please help if you can - I feel a bit of an idiot that I can ride miles better without stirrups than with them!

ETS: Sorry, I can't spell!
blush.gif

claire1976

Visit site
Have you tried riding with your stirrups a bit longer than normal - a bit western you might say. It could help you build yourself up into using stirrups if you do it gradually. You're lucky though, a lot of people (me included) are not great without their stirrups for long !!

clipclop

Visit site
Do you lock at the ankle?
I guess if you are great at riding without stirrpus you normally have your toes dangling down?

MidnightStar

Visit site
I've got dressage length stirrup leathers and I've only got four holes left on them
blush.gif
ATM, if they went any longer I'd be reaching for them - they've gone down 6 (yes, really!!!) holes in the last five months and regretably I haven't grown any taller (still 5'3"
frown.gif
)so my leg must be getting longer which I guess can only be good news.

It's a bit of a joke TBH though as I'm so much better without stirrups to the point that I'd rather ride without them at all!!!

Jemayni

Visit site
My mum has exactly the same thing, her problem is - as soon as she rises her shoulders come forward and her legs swing back, she grips with her knees to stop this. The weakness in her shoulders, caused by her rising, mean she cant have a good contact with the pony, so the pony goes hollow!

She finds she is alot better with stirrups but in sitting trot, have you tried this?

Mary Wanless's books helped her alot, I really recommend them as they will help you know exactlly what is wrong....

KateStartin

Visit site
This is not that uncommon, many people find riding without stirrups easier.
Try some lunge lessons with stirrups so you can really concentrate on your position. Try to feel the horses back lifting each seat bone at a time and allow your leg to move up and down as the horse moves you, so in fact your heel moves slightly up as the horse lifts that seatbone. To start with don't worry about exagerating that movement. Riding is a dynamic activity if you try to sit still you will bounce, allow the horse to move you.

This should work in walk, sitting trot. In canter exagerate the lift of the inside seatbone with your insde leg. In rising trot do lots of work on standing up in the stirrups, the place where you find your balance is where the lower leg should remain!

Hope i have explained this well enough, its easier in person good luck!