Stupid (read idiotic and dangerous) things we accidentally do

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
A few weeks ago I didn't bolt the door of one stable. Got up next morning little horse grazing contentedly in field. Big horse, still shut in was not impressed.
Last week didn't bolt the door of other stable. Next morning, door open about a third, big horse looking over door as if to say "I know you left it open so I could graze, but it was warmer and drier in here."
Fortunately my horses are at home.

Brightbay

Visit site
My horses live out in a big field, so all operations are done in the field. Including rugging. They all know the rug procedure, and when approached with a rug, stand still until all done up, when they get their bit of carrot.
A few years ago, I was rugging up prior to a big storm arriving. The wind had already got up, so I was working quickly. Did first horse, no problem. Did second horse, no problem. Third horse was standing on the far side of the first two, near the fence. Fortunately, he was standing in the right directly for the rug to go on with wind assistance, so I chucked the rug over, quickly did up the chest straps, flipped the tail over the tail strap and then leaned in and did up the surcingles.

A short while later, the first two horses moved off, but the third one didn't. He just stood there, looking at me in a significant sort of way. I could tell he thought something wasn't right, but I couldn't work out what it was until I went closer and realised I'd attached him to the fence by the surcingles...

EQUIDAE

Visit site
My horses live out in a big field, so all operations are done in the field. Including rugging. They all know the rug procedure, and when approached with a rug, stand still until all done up, when they get their bit of carrot.
A few years ago, I was rugging up prior to a big storm arriving. The wind had already got up, so I was working quickly. Did first horse, no problem. Did second horse, no problem. Third horse was standing on the far side of the first two, near the fence. Fortunately, he was standing in the right directly for the rug to go on with wind assistance, so I chucked the rug over, quickly did up the chest straps, flipped the tail over the tail strap and then leaned in and did up the surcingles.

A short while later, the first two horses moved off, but the third one didn't. He just stood there, looking at me in a significant sort of way. I could tell he thought something wasn't right, but I couldn't work out what it was until I went closer and realised I'd attached him to the fence by the surcingles...

I've done this too!

horselover02345

Visit site
When i finally finished grooming my JRC pony i leave the door wide open to get a brush that was in my other favourite horse's stall, i here the door bang then see Alice looking out of her stall with the door open. Luckily she's too lazy to get out her stall.

Auslander

Visit site
I stood in a corner between the fence and the hay feeder this morning, whilst taking rugs off. Inevitably, the one I was de-rugging got attacked by the one who was loose. Bless him, he did try quite hard to avoid me, but had nowhere to go. I had to throw myself backwards into the hay feeder to avoid getting splatted!

Zipzop

Visit site
After having a long period of rest and a course on ventipulmin for a breathing issue, vet said to walk in hand to begin exercising again. So I decided to take him out. When we got out he started dragging me along and cantering sideways down the road. Whilst this was going on it occurred to me I only had him on a headcollar and lead rope, no hat, no gloves and no hi viz. I thought what an absolute D**K i am! If I'd been driving round the road and ever seen anyone doing this I'd probably stopped and asked them where they had left their only brain cell!

horsemum

Visit site
I went to put tack away the other week and came back to find I hadn't bolted the stable door and horse was over at the other side of the barn talking to his pal. I'm lucky he is so good and didn't polish off every other horses breakfast feeds which sit outside their stable doors for the morning!!

catembi

Visit site
I have got on my TB not once but TWICE without a bridle, i.e. led him to the mounting block in a headcollar, got on & then wondered where my reins were... My brain seems to go on holiday sometimes. I've also got back from a late jumping lesson, turned out & then found the horse still wearing his travel boots the next morning. Whoops!

T x

ironhorse

Visit site
Having competed a friend's horse at a show for the first time, I decided to get him untacked and load him back in the lorry without changing out of my leather soled riding boots. Put him on the lorry, walked round the back of him to get the partition and shut it, lost my footing on the ramp and slipped and fell off it. The first thing that I grabbed to save myself was his tail....
Bless him he never even moved, let alone try to kick me or pull back. Having proved himself to be idiot-proof I was lucky enough to take him to lots of shows the next season and never did anything as stupid again!

dibbin

Visit site
Crouching down directly in front of fidgety idiot to wash his feet. He picked his leg up and smacked me right in the middle of the forehead with his knee. I saw stars and had a lovely bruised lump for a few days.

Out hacking just over a year ago, hadn't tightened the chinstrap on my hat properly. Fell off, hit the back of my head on the ground causing my hat to shoot forward and crack me across the bridge of my nose. Had to ride the 2 miles back to the yard with blood running out of both nostrils, then go to the hospital to check it wasn't broken ...

Ellen Durow

Visit site
Umm, I went up to the yard to do evening stables. Tidied his bed, put feed and water and hay for the night in his loose box. Made up the following day's feeds and nets and tidied up in the feed room. Tidied my tack area. Went back to his stable and went through my usual check list - bed, hay, feed, water, window open, door closed and bolted. All done. Got in the car and drove out of the yard.

I was half way home when it struck me - There was no horse in the loose box. I hadn't brought him in from the field!!!

(Needless to say I went back and brought him in.)

Last edited:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Umm, I went up to the yard to do evening stables. Tidied his bed, put feed and water and hay for the night in his loose box. Made up the following day's feeds and nets and tidied up in the feed room. Tidied my tack area. Went back to his stable and went through my usual check list - bed, hay, feed, water, window open, door closed and bolted. All done. Got in the car and drove out of the yard.

I was half way home when it struck me - There was no horse in the loose box. I hadn't brought him in from the field!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! (Sorry)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Trailered my 4yo to his first lesson with my trainer. Was really pleased with how well he travelled. I tacked him up inside the trailer, and went to back him down the ramp.

He wouldn't budge. I'd fastened his breast plate around the breast bar of the trailer :eek:.

xgemmax

Visit site
Came back from hacking and I used to open and close the yard gate whilst on him. As i closed the gate I suddenly realised i had managed to get his reins looped through the gate closure as I had closed it, thankfully i managed to undo it quickly before he noticed and panicked!

Notimetoride

Visit site
A few years ago out hacking one day, I needed to get my phone out of my pocket and needed both hands. So I put the reins in my mouth. Horse then put head down to eat the grass. Duh !!! I do still have teeth luckily but I haven't done it since

pennyturner

Visit site
This one wasn't me... Just about to set off for a hack, the pony's saddle was sitting strangely, so went to investigate. The child that had tacked him up had the stirrup iron between the saddle and his back, had girthed up, and was just about to mount.

Pony was a saint, and showed no sign of objecting, but I'm glad I spotted it, for his sake.

Evie91

Visit site
Depths of winter, decided to give horse a quick leg stretch. She was cosy in stable rug, put head collar on, intention was to sit on top of rug and walk horse around the school.
Realised I couldn't get on, pulled up a plastic chair, still couldn't get on. Jumped on said chair (with intention of vaulting on), chair shattered in pieces with a loud crash, I fell under horse who stood like a rock and gave me a suitably withering look!
Best horse in the world - same horse who could have a dicky fit if she suddenly took umbridge at being tied up, amongst other quirks.
I forgave her foibles and she obviously forgave mine!
Also remembered it had been many, many years since I have vaulted on - brain is willing but body is getting old!!

elsielouise

Visit site
Leant lunge whip against pony's side whilst I adjusted my sons stirrups during his lunge lesson. Pony started fidgeting and we couldn't work out quite why - til spotted lunge whip tangled in mane and 'chasing her' round in circles as she stood on the end and it pulled her name out by the roots!

My son's seat is coming on nicely after all the madness of his mother's non BHS methods...

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Sit on the floor while trimming his back legs. There's a lot of hair and kneeling makes my knees ache!
Muck out without tying him up
The number of times I've driven back to the yard as I get paranoid thoughts of have I locked his door or not!

rowan666

Visit site
Depths of winter, decided to give horse a quick leg stretch. She was cosy in stable rug, put head collar on, intention was to sit on top of rug and walk horse around the school.
Realised I couldn't get on, pulled up a plastic chair, still couldn't get on. Jumped on said chair (with intention of vaulting on), chair shattered in pieces with a loud crash, I fell under horse who stood like a rock and gave me a suitably withering look!
Best horse in the world - same horse who could have a dicky fit if she suddenly took umbridge at being tied up, amongst other quirks.
I forgave her foibles and she obviously forgave mine!
Also remembered it had been many, many years since I have vaulted on - brain is willing but body is getting old!!
Literally just laughed out loud and spat coffee everywhere! thanks :D

Sit on the floor while trimming his back legs. There's a lot of hair and kneeling makes my knees ache!
Muck out without tying him up
The number of times I've driven back to the yard as I get paranoid thoughts of have I locked his door or not!
These are standard practice for me too :D

npage123

Visit site
Bending down behind a known kicker and ending up being double-barrelled into a fresh muckheap. The ambulance men wouldn't let me into the ambulance until I had been hosed down

Ooh, the only good thing about that episode is having a soft landing in the muckheap. I hope you made a full recovery soon - you could have been so seriously injured if the horse really meant to do harm!

Your story reminds me of when I was being kind (replace the work kind 'idiot') with a friend's Fresian horse. I gave him a nice old scratch on his side and belly and he suddenly decided now's a good time to pin me between himself and the stable. He really meant to push against me - I felt quite winded. Luckily managed to shout at him and (feebly) push him off me.

npage123

Visit site

LOL!!!

Count Oggy

Visit site
Practicing loading a difficult pony I ducked under the breast bar, he reared and pulled back. I pulled back on the rope which was still under the bar and snapped off my thumb at the knuckle! Luckily I was about to give him the carrot in my right pocket so had swapped the leadrope to my left hand.

mirage

Visit site
We had a 12h pony on box rest. I asked my 12 year old to take her for a walk up the village for a change of scenery and to stretch her legs. Came back happily. The next day I took the same pony, it was like water skiing,but not as much fun. I could barely hold her. What was I thinking, allowing a 12 year old who is 6 stone soaking wet to walk her. Admittedly, the pony behaves beautifully for children,but can be a witch with adults,but still not the best decision I ever made.

AppyLover

Visit site
About 6 hours after my boy arrived I look him out walked him down to the front of the property and he stood perfectly in the little courtyard, walked through a tiny little gap and then I took him back, Foot perfect in a new place and it was pitch black. Walked him back into his paddock and up to the further corner as my friend was going to take hers out he freaked out tried to bolt after him and after years of being told if they bolt let go they'll stop in the end but no I kept held of his lead rope, yanked back and he stayed put my ring finger on the hand didn't. Next thing I know my finger really hurt and it made a squelchy sound when I bent it and it proceeded to swell to the point where I couldn't bend it and it was bright purple, 3 days later I went to the minor injuries unit to be told I'd broken it between the 2 knuckle joints vertically not horizontally (their exact words were you've pretty much chewed the end of your knuckle joint off) like a normal person. 1 week splinted straight to find out that had caused more damaged as the splintered bone had shunted down which led to 3 weeks in a 90 degree splint and a further month of night splints which were meant to straighten it which seems to have just caused the bones to move in the wrong direction even more :(. 15 months later It still doesn't straighten and still doesn't bend properly and probably never will, it does cause me pain on occasion still think I might go back in November so its then 2 years and they can't pull the its not finished healing yet. The Drs refused to believe how it happened and that I had to have had the lead rope wrapped around my hand which it was not I was just holding it like you normally would but the therapist made me do one of those strength pull test machine things and she said I was stronger than the average man which is probably why that part of my finger twisted and splintered.

DappleGreyDaydreamer

Visit site
I did one just the other day...

I'd spent hours the previous evening washing all my saddle pads, brushing off boots, cleaning and polishing my tack and making everything look beautiful for my joint dressage lesson with a friend the next morning. Come ride time, my horse had been awkward to catch so I was a bit behind schedule and rushed through tacking up after grooming. My friend and I were told to get on the horses and spend 10 minutes warming up before the lesson started. We did so, and towards the end of the warm-up I looked down to check if my saddle was as clean as I remember it being, only to notice no saddle pad on my horses's shoulders!! Thankfully, I hadn't forgotten to put it on, I had only forgotten to attach the straps to the billets and put the girth through the keeper, so my pad had slipped almost completely off my horse's back. My friend noticed at the same moment as I did and burst out laughing whilst I quickly dismounted and rushed to fix everything..

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
This happened with my old boy some years ago now: I have my own place and put Old Boy in the field just across the road from our house/yard.

I'd put up some leccy fencing, put him in behind it all, set up the fencer energiser unit, etc etc, leaving the gate open as I needed to go back and poo-pick. Job done.

Then went back in the yard (within easy earshot) and started mixing up feed bowls etc. So then went back to the field - and met Himself finding his own way in from the field back along the road, to the yard, festooned with leccy fencing tape, poles and wire trailling after him! He'd obviously heard me doing his feed and thought he'd come and assist, bless him. I went back - and yes, you've guessed it, I'd forgotten to switch the damn energiser on so he just walked straight through it!!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I had only forgotten to attach the straps to the billets and put the girth through the keeper, so my pad had slipped almost completely off my horse's back..

I did the same when hacking - ended up having to untack and adjust at the side of the road. My angel mare stood there good as gold :)

windand rain

Visit site
Worst one I did was the driving pony was prone to biting she sank her teeth in my shoulder and really hurt I smacked her in pain she threw her head back and broke my nose. Two black eyes and massive bruises made for interesting comments while I was working in the pub mid summer. The thing is I never smack the ponies it was the shock that did it