Stupid rugging question....

Mongoose11

Visit site
Agree with this!

Even though im not a fan of clipping out horses in the summer, its normal to sweat. If I went for a run id sweat and especially so if it was really warm, I certainly wouldnt go shaving off my head of hair and then standing outside naked hoping that this would help me lose weight.

What I would do is slowly build up fitness and even when properly fit, I would understand that sweating is ok.

I understand that sweating is ok, but to sweat when standing still at a temp of 19 degrees is rather excessive and then to be asked to work. Why not clip in this case?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Wouldn't sweating aid weight loss more effectively than being out in a chill at night? Short term sweat or all night chill - if I had to lose weight I know which I would prefer ;)

That aside, you seem to already be doing what I would do if for some reason I had a horse clipped out in summer - fly rug when it's warm and still and rain sheet when it's rainy. Now if only we could control the weather so that we only get one of those each night :rolleyes:

Moomin1

Visit site
I understand that sweating is ok, but to sweat when standing still at a temp of 19 degrees is rather excessive and then to be asked to work. Why not clip in this case?

I would perhaps be consulting the vet if they are sweating to that excess in those temps when doing nothing.

My mare is a 'hot' mare, and she often sweats very easily, and is damp to touch in very hot conditions ie high twenties, but certainly not at 19 degrees.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I would perhaps be consulting the vet if they are sweating to that excess in those temps when doing nothing.

My mare is a 'hot' mare, and she often sweats very easily, and is damp to touch in very hot conditions ie high twenties, but certainly not at 19 degrees.

Blatant exaggeration on my part. I didn't mean sweat, I meant be hot and verging on clammy... :) nowt wrong with this beastie (except the fact that she is owned by me?)

She also has a summer coat that could house several small Mongolian families.

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonSlayer

Visit site

I agree with this. Be interesting to see what the body temperature is.....maybe a virus or something? You never know....

Buds_mum

Visit site
*ahem* donning tin hat.

Billies post neither mentioned needing advice on looking after a pink skinned horse or did she raise concern over her mares sweating....

Why on this forum do people like to leap on and rag at one part of a post and cause the op to reiterate their point over and over?

Mare had thick coat, mare gets hot in warm weather, for comforts sake is clipped. I really don't think she's suffering a rare form of typhoid!

Sorry billie for high jacking post :p

Mongoose11

Visit site
*ahem* donning tin hat.

Billies post neither mentioned needing advice on looking after a pink skinned horse or did she raise concern over her mares sweating....

Why on this forum do people like to leap on and rag at one part of a post and cause the op to reiterate their point over and over?

Mare had thick coat, mare gets hot in warm weather, for comforts sake is clipped. I really don't think she's suffering a rare form of typhoid!

Pah ha ha ha ha! Typhoid!

It just shows how very careful you need to be when explaining things doesn't it! Thank you for the hijack :eek:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Do you still have her clipped off fur - you could weave it into a rug, and coat it in suncream and waterproofing.

I found that was really effective with my...oh no hang on, that was just a dream :eek:

moana

Visit site
I wouldn't rug personally, but how about a compromise - one of those fly sheets with a waterproof top that covers the back.

Moomin1

Visit site
*ahem* donning tin hat.

It was just a suggestion, not a criticism. OP has now explained that in actual fact the horse just gets 'hot', not sweats.

Also, where has OP had to reiterate over and over about this?:confused:

Mongoose11

Visit site
Mooms - I think it is the fact I have had to repeat a fair few times that she is actully in during the day and will wear suitable cover if out for a sunny evening... Tbf I didn't ask for advice about pink skin. It is frustrating when people assume you are an idiot in all areas. I promise I'm just an idiot in some, but I appreciate that people took time to reply even though they hadn't necessarily read all of the info :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
, I certainly wouldnt go shaving off my head of hair and then standing outside naked hoping that this would help me lose weight.

Well I bloody would if it would make me lose weight!:D

Billie, this is for you:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of HH online
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be
it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by
scientists whereas the rest of HH online advice has no basis more reliable
than your own meandering
experience…we will dispense this advice now (repeatedly)

Enjoy the power and beauty of your horse; oh nevermind; you will not
understand the power and beauty of your horse until its lame.
But trust me, in 20 years you’ll look back at photos of your horse and
recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before
it and how fabulous it really looked….If you had only got its back checked and fed it micronised linseed more often.

Don’t worry about the farrier; or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
on some idle Tuesday say for instance you have a Matchy Matchy fail.

Do one thing everyday that scares you (like leave Olive unrugged)

Sing

Don’t be reckless with your horse's pink skin, don’t put up with
people who are reckless with theirs.

Floss

Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes
you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with
yourself and if you have a cob, you will never win (see below).

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you
succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep all nice PMs, user ignore for anyone who is irritating.

Stretch

Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life other than ride your horse…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don’t.

Get plenty of mag ox.

Be kind to your knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone (Sprenger stirrups are a must).

Maybe you’ll get a lorry, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll buy that saddle,maybe
you won’t, maybe your horse will bankrupt you at 40, maybe you’ll compete at GP level on your 10th owniversary…what ever you do, don’t
congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your
choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s. Enjoy your horsey,
ride it every day you can…don’t be afraid of it, or what other people
think of it, it’s the greatest animal you’ll ever
own..

School…even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own field.

Agree with all HHO directions, even if you don’t follow them.

Do NOT read the veterinary section, it will only make you feel your horse has ulcers.

Accept certain inalienable truths, backs will need checked, forage must be provided, you too will get the wrong end of the stick, and when you do you’ll fantasize that when you were asking advice, your query was concise, and you listened to the advice.

Don’t mess too much with your horses hair, but if you do, don't worry, it will grow back (remember the sunscreen tho eh).

Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the
ugly parts and recycling it for more than
it’s worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen…

budley95

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies, but with it being like it is I'd leave her naked and if it's raining just put a no fill datasheet on until she gets a little bit of grease back into her coat. You've had her a while. You'll know if she needs a rug. You sound pretty clueed up on her needs and as we all overly worry about our horses need reassurance. I think she'll tell you if she's cold :)

Buds_mum

Visit site
Fw *love* came to me as the Hogwarts song from first book where the whole school sings along but everyone chooses their own tune :D

Moomin1

Visit site
Mooms - I think it is the fact I have had to repeat a fair few times that she is actully in during the day and will wear suitable cover if out for a sunny evening... Tbf I didn't ask for advice about pink skin. It is frustrating when people assume you are an idiot in all areas. I promise I'm just an idiot in some, but I appreciate that people took time to reply even though they hadn't necessarily read all of the info :)

Oh, I thought it was meaning about my comment about the sweating! :eek:

I do not think for one minute you are the sort of person to let your horse burn in the sun! :)

As for the person who posted the Sunscreen song post - fab!! Love it!! :D

mandwhy

Visit site
Ahhhh FW that was amazing I have always loved that song!

I would put a rainsheet (not datasheet, haha) on at night as it is quite windy and rainy here at the mo.

Can horses get moonburn? :-O