stupid saddle pad idea

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I currently want to use a front riser, Just thin shims. Saddle is slightly out of balance but the horse is going to change more as soon as grass grows and hopefully work up's etc.
My fitter said its fine as the horse's saddle is fitted a bit too wide anyway- His pref and one he's fairly adamant about. As a result a lot of pads slide back. I have a few that sit perfectly and have sheepskin collars at the front which helps with the staying put.
So i had this bright idea to stitch pockets onto said pad so that when shims are required I can still use the favoured pads. However turns out my sewing skills are not all that (who knew!) I then wondered would they actually move if i just positioned the shim on top of the pad in the correct place and girthed up?

Shut up and don't be stupid or might it work?
Long term I know i need a all singing all dancing Mattes which sounds perfect and designed for me but cash flow wise isn't an option right now.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The mattes pads are really good and si cheap I recently bought some and thet are much better than the foam ones I have.

If not look on ebay they often have shim pads on there you could customise I've bought a few abd cut them up to suit.

I don't like front risers get a full shim numnah I use the nuumed ones then you have the choice to shim the whole back or not.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The mattes pads are really good and si cheap I recently bought some and thet are much better than the foam ones I have.

If not look on ebay they often have shim pads on there you could customise I've bought a few abd cut them up to suit.

I don't like front risers get a full shim numnah I use the nuumed ones then you have the choice to shim the whole back or not.
It’s full shim numnahs I have and just leave the back ones out. They just don’t sit as nicely as the others with no pockets that I have.
I do plan to get the mattes shims though for sure. I love the idea that you can just layer them.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I do keep an eye for a second hand Mattes but I think that they are so ££ that I’d rather hang fire and get a new one so I can get exactly what I want, rather than a still expensive but not my full choice compromise

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I got a set of mattes shims for £12 but can't remember where from 🙈 I put a half pad sheepskin numnah over the shim pad if they have dropped muscle and top line that sometimes helps.

Squeak

Visit site
I've found that prolite shims have stayed in place without pockets - my horse far prefers a sheepskin half pad to a prolite or no pad and when I needed some shims as short term fix I just put them between the saddle pad and sheepskin or saddle and sheepskin and they stayed even for jumping and fast work.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've found that prolite shims have stayed in place without pockets - my horse far prefers a sheepskin half pad to a prolite or no pad and when I needed some shims as short term fix I just put them between the saddle pad and sheepskin or saddle and sheepskin and they stayed even for jumping and fast work.
Oh perfect! Worth a try then maybe. It’s a sheepskin pad I’m finding works best but my only shimmable pads are just the cotton types.
Maybe I’ll give it a try then.

Abacus

Visit site
Even without much sewing ability you could put in a few stitches to make them stay in place (and then they are easily removable later). You might need quite a sturdy needle. Alternatively I did once cut the thick sheepskin from a front riser pad and used that, it went across the withers so stayed in place.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Buy an old prolite pad and take the padding out then stitch the top bit to your pad you want to use, I did similar when I wanted one to fit under my saddle for showing.

Marigold4

Visit site
I currently want to use a front riser, Just thin shims. Saddle is slightly out of balance but the horse is going to change more as soon as grass grows and hopefully work up's etc.
My fitter said its fine as the horse's saddle is fitted a bit too wide anyway- His pref and one he's fairly adamant about. As a result a lot of pads slide back. I have a few that sit perfectly and have sheepskin collars at the front which helps with the staying put.
So i had this bright idea to stitch pockets onto said pad so that when shims are required I can still use the favoured pads. However turns out my sewing skills are not all that (who knew!) I then wondered would they actually move if i just positioned the shim on top of the pad in the correct place and girthed up?

Shut up and don't be stupid or might it work?
Long term I know i need a all singing all dancing Mattes which sounds perfect and designed for me but cash flow wise isn't an option right now.
A saddle fitter introduced me to the idea that carpet felt makes a good shim. It doesn't move if you place it under the saddle and on top of a numnah. My boy needs a rear riser. I bought a metre of carpet felt and cut my own rear shims. You can layer them up and experiment with what you need/what horse feels comfortable with. In an effort to make it look more acceptable, I bought a second hand Le Mieux half pad for shims and put the carpet felt in the pockets. It works really well, the home-made shims don't slide, carpet felt costs very little and you can experiment.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
A saddle fitter introduced me to the idea that carpet felt makes a good shim. It doesn't move if you place it under the saddle and on top of a numnah. My boy needs a rear riser. I bought a metre of carpet felt and cut my own rear shims. You can layer them up and experiment with what you need/what horse feels comfortable with. In an effort to make it look more acceptable, I bought a second hand Le Mieux half pad for shims and put the carpet felt in the pockets. It works really well, the home-made shims don't slide, carpet felt costs very little and you can experiment.
Amazing thank you! I imagine that’s more similar to the mattes shims than the usual foam ones

poiuytrewq

Visit site
You can use self adhesive Velcro for this .
I had thought of that, I have a roll somewhere but again was a bit worried when the shims are not needed if the Velcro might damage the under side of my saddle.
I guess if I put the softer side onto the pad and the rough on the shims it wouldn’t be too bad.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
You know the sticky tacky stuff you buy to stop a rug “walking” on the carpet, well I bought a pack of that. Cut it to size and it self sticks to whatever it touches. No residue left. And it’s quite cheep to buy a four foot square bit. And you can fold bits to make it thicker. Most places that sell rugs sell it. Or Amazon.

Marigold4

Visit site
I had thought of that, I have a roll somewhere but again was a bit worried when the shims are not needed if the Velcro might damage the under side of my saddle.
I guess if I put the softer side onto the pad and the rough on the shims it wouldn’t be too bad.
The carpet felt shims stay in place once the girth is done up and no velcro required.

BMA2

Visit site
Self adhesive velco as someone else said...you could stitch a bit neatly to the cloth

I find that prolite naked shims don't move

P.forpony

Visit site
Duct tape!
If its only short term just tape the shims to the numnahs that sit well as you're tacking up.
Then you can position them properly and hold them in place until you're girthed up.