Stupid to think about trying a 100?

Dizzy socks

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a little help as to whether this is stupid or not...

I have a 13.3hh pony, who's pretty fabby at hunter trials. We've been doing some 90s this year, and were second in a 95 last week.
What I'm wondering is, there's one more before the end of the season, and I'd really like to try the metre. Would this be unwise?

Bearing in mind she can be fairly sticky, but as of yet has never faulted xc (last two years).

almostthere

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a little help as to whether this is stupid or not...

I have a 13.3hh pony, who's pretty fabby at hunter trials. We've been doing some 90s this year, and were second in a 95 last week.
What I'm wondering is, there's one more before the end of the season, and I'd really like to try the metre. Would this be unwise?

Bearing in mind she can be fairly sticky, but as of yet has never faulted xc (last two years).

A very wise lady said to me recently that a pro had told her that the time to "step up" a level was when the horse felt bored at the current level. Not bad advice I'd say but if you are schooling at the 100 level and find it easy the go for it. In the end only you can really decide whether you and your horse are ready but good luck whatever you decide....

popsdosh

Visit site
A very wise lady said to me recently that a pro had told her that the time to "step up" a level was when the horse felt bored at the current level. Not bad advice I'd say but if you are schooling at the 100 level and find it easy the go for it. In the end only you can really decide whether you and your horse are ready but good luck whatever you decide....
The true difference between 95 and 100 will all be in the riders mind as the horse wont notice it.

Dusty85

Visit site
Are you going to try this first attempt at a 100 at a BE event? If so, I would advise not, and to aim at a unaffiliated first, but then i guess it depends how fussed you are over your pony's record.

Another forum member on a different thread (can't remember which) said something very wise, about it being the end of the season- if the 100 goes totally wrong and your pony is already 'sticky'- which in my mind means maybe he's not that confident- then you haven't got too many options to rebuild his confidence before you have a big break before the start of next season.

What don't you do a last 95, finish on a good note, then practice like mad over 100 stuff over the winter, then start off next season at a 90, then move up?

There is no rush, it may take you a lot longer to rebuild yours/your pony's confidence.

Suziq77

Visit site
Another forum member on a different thread (can't remember which) said something very wise, about it being the end of the season- if the 100 goes totally wrong and your pony is already 'sticky'- which in my mind means maybe he's not that confident- then you haven't got too many options to rebuild his confidence before you have a big break before the start of next season.

What don't you do a last 95, finish on a good note, then practice like mad over 100 stuff over the winter, then start off next season at a 90, then move up?

There is no rush, it may take you a lot longer to rebuild yours/your pony's confidence.

It was NicNac that made this point - and it's a very good one. I'd echo the suggestion about spending the next few months schooling/hunter trialling at 1m then start next season with a 90, followed by a 100 then back to 90 for one to consolidate confidence.

NoCollection

Visit site
Something you might like to consider is whether she will make the distances in the combinations. She is fairly small to be tackling a 1m course - in fact you wouldn't be allowed to take her around anything above 80cm at BE.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
It's not BE, no. It's just hunter trials.
I've done a little be with her (registered 14h.)

Thanks for all comments. I honestly don't think she'd find the distance too much, she's pretty long striding. Apparently the course is pretty nice, and we've been round the 90 a few times. I'm just getting slightly fed up with the time issue round 90s, we just can't ever quite make it! even though she's fast - it would be dangerous to go any faster.

I'll think about it.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
It was NicNac that made this point - and it's a very good one. I'd echo the suggestion about spending the next few months schooling/hunter trialling at 1m then start next season with a 90, followed by a 100 then back to 90 for one to consolidate confidence.

Thanks for both this and the one quoted in it.

It is a hunter trials, not BE, so general consensus is it probably would be alright?

I must say I really want to, but obviously if it's stupid or dangerous I won't.

PorkChop

Visit site
My advice would be to walk the course and then decide - if it's a hunter trial it may be entries on the day, if not then maybe ask if you can enter the 100 with the possibility to change your entry to the 90 :)

Nicnac

Visit site

Why thank you Ms Suziq77 :)

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I'm absolutely not bothered about record.

All I want is to get round, preferably without stops. My main question, I guess, is 1-Would this be much more dangerous than a 95 (Parents are worried about this) and 2. If I have problems will I irrevocably wreck her confidence?

gunnergundog

Visit site
So, have you already schooled successfully at 100 or higher? My rule of thumb is that I should be successfully schooling one level higher at home than that at which I wish to compete at. So, if I was eventing (appreciate that you are not) I would want to be okay/confident attempting novice level in all phases.

To be honest, if I hadn't schooled successfully at 100, then I certainly wouldn't be looking to compete at that level.

Last edited: