stupid weather! How long have you been unable to ride for?

somethingorother

Visit site
I last rode on the 15th December. The snow started here on the 16th, the wednesday, and we have not had a snow/ice free day since. It snowed every day for almost 2 weeks, then started to thaw a bit over the last week but has been refreezing into sheet ice/ frozen slush most of the time. Even around the school, so even though the school itself was clear on friday, the neds couldn't get out of the stables for sheet ice.

And yesterday i was thinking i might get to ride on monday but then last night it started snowing again! In leeds where i am now it is just a sprinkling, but reports from manchester way where the neds are say it is very deep again
frown.gif

Feeling so blue and fed up, the horses are going bonkers being stuck in (steep hill into field which is too slippy) and i'm absolutely covered in cuts and bruises and sore toes from being trampled. The old mare really tried to kick my head off the other day which was a bit scary.

Feel free to add your moans and rants, i know everyone is having a hard time too. It's only this last week it's started to get to me badly
frown.gif

RubysGold

Visit site
It was 22nd November.
Then Roo went lame, and when she was ready to come back into work, the snow and ice came.
But then I finally got back on board yesterday
laugh.gif

The snow/ice will go away soon, keep smiling
smile.gif

RuthnMeg

Visit site
I think iam very lucky as my mare is on winter holiday so I don't have the 'want to ride' wish. She is in a lovely field, gets hay every day and is wearing a nice warm rug and her companions are also lovely and fluffy. I break their water ice twice a day and can walk to the field if I can't get the car out. We have not had snow yet (nothing other than a light sprinkle), but have had plenty of ice.
The yard where I work has bags of salt and grit on hand and once in the field the horses there are happy.
However, I have learnt to respect these country lanes - takes me 15 mins to crawl through the ice patches to get to the main road!

AGAGE

Visit site
It's been at least two weeks now.,managed to lunge Ted a couple of times a few days ago, as wasn't brave enough to ride him given he hadn't really had much turnout due to snow. Glad I didn't ride - he went properly nuts!

Was hoping to ride/lunge today but yet again the school is frozen and unlevel- so another day off for Ted! Its really starting to wind me up, as I've had ten days leave and had planned to do lots of riding.

Still it seems Norfolk has got off lightly, we've had lots of hard frosts but not huge amounts of snow, just a covering yesterday, which was the first in a week or so. However, have had ice for a couple of weeks now, which has stopped me riding just as much as snow would have done.

phoebeast

Visit site
3 weeks now, icey ice then a bastard overreach injury which is probably gonna take a month to heal. i think there should be some councilling of some form available to help us all not feel guilty :p

lucy1984

Visit site
Well I havent ridden mine for a while, like months. K is retired, M is not broken, and Izzy was turned away beggining of October....

Although where I am, we havent really had a decent covering of snow, it's been frosty mainly. Although I do ride my friends tb on the odd days when it's not been icey.

Tiffany

Visit site
Not ridden for 6 weeks in total. Mainly because I've lost my confidence without any logical or justified reason and the last 2 weeks because of weather and family stuff over Christmas.

Parkranger

Visit site
we managed to get a few days in last week but now we've got beautiful sunshine and frozen/icy roads....it's a bloody nightmare. Trying to get her fit for hunting and it's proving difficult!

Foxford

Visit site
Well, I'm in North Yorks, and there has been a fresh snowfall in the last couple of days, just as the first one was starting to melt. I think we've got another few weeks of snow/ice/snow/ice....

quirky

Visit site
Didn't manage to ride on Christmas Day and Boxing Day due to the snow. Getting to the yard was a problem, so I just did my jobs and shot off again before it snowed further.

An indoor school is invaluable in this weather but I am itching to go out for a hack.

debsflo

Visit site
it had been nearly 3 weeks but we took advantage of yesterdays nicer weather and hired a lovley all weather arena to do some schooling and jumping.good job really as were snowed/iced in again til who knows when.

Firehorse

Visit site
i havent ridden mine since the 15t dec, mainly due to my kids being off school, plus the times when they were away with family, the weather was too bad anyway :-( i hate not riding regularly, coz it doesnt do my confidence much good. i gave him a gentle lunge yesterday and am hopefully gonna hve a gentle hack tomoz. but as he tends to loose him head when we hit countryside, i'll be pooping it!! prop hve one short blast, then back to the roads.

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
I've managed to ride mine 3 times this week, not at all the week before, and only twice the week before that.

It was snowing heavily on my way back from a hack today and my school is frozen again so I guess it's back to no riding yet again.

We haven't been to a show in ages and I'm really fed up now
mad.gif

Slave2Magic

Visit site
Managed a hack out Tuesday and Thursday last week. Before that my mare hadn't been ridden for 16 days! Now we have loads of snow again tonight so she will be confined to her stable again due to ice stilts.
mad.gif

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
we had 12 days of not riding up until the day after Boxing Day, manged to ride since then though. We have had fresh snow but managed to get the horses out of the stables, took them out the back gate, and walk them on the grass verge til we got to our menage, that was still frozen but just rode around the fields which were snowy but not frozen. The ice shoes were a bit of a problem though, only walked but at least they stretched their legs
grin.gif