Sub letting a proportion of a yard?

charlie76

Visit site
Firstly, this is not an advert as I am full but wanted peoples opinions on sub letting a proprtion of a yard to a single owner or pro rider.
I have a large yard currently full with part liveries. However, i nad a baby in november who was premature and has been in and out of hospital since. This has put huge strain on me both mentally ,pysically and finacially.
I am also struggling to get decent staff at the moment too which adds to the stress.
I have been considering the idea of loosing some liveries and sub letting 6 or so boxes to one person , does anyone do this? If so, what would be the rate for each stable?
Its a lovely yard with excellent facilities that some one could really enjoy.

I would , of course, have a contract etc.

What are peoples thoughts? I dont want to give the yard up but need to find a way to relieve the pressure.

DD

Visit site
sounds like a good plan. do get money upfront though rent 6 boxes for say, £600 a month and get 3 months money in advance I havre seen this sort of thing go badly wrong when a professional rider/dealer got behind with the rent.

WandaMare

Visit site
sounds like a good plan. do get money upfront though rent 6 boxes for say, £600 a month and get 3 months money in advance I havre seen this sort of thing go badly wrong when a professional rider/dealer got behind with the rent.

I agree with DD, ask for the rent up front. I trusted a pro rider who was behind with rent for quite a number of months. He also used my lorry without charge and used all my yard facilities and equipment as he liked. I thought I was supporting someone who was doing well in the sport, which he was. He left after 7 months without paying me a penny, no notice and no thanks. I know I was ridiculously naive at the time, I just didn't realise someone could be so devious.

TheMule

Visit site
You need a really clear contract and plenty of expectations around yard cleanliness, comings and goings to the yard, arena usage and what they sub-letter is allowed to do with their boxes.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
It’s a good idea, firstly, you need a refundable deposit equal to 2 months rent, should the sub letter then leave you are not at a total loss... in addition to rent up front one month in advance
rules need to be put on paper, will they source their own bedding and hay?
Set place for parking of lorry or trailers..and how many can be parked there.
Tidyness on the yard, consideration to other users, poo picking after themselves,(this can turn out to be a bug bearer sometimes)
As long as all this is on paper and both sides have a contract it should be ok

JillA

Visit site
I'm following this because I am really downsizing and no longer need 8 boxes and 13 acres. Fortunately mine naturally falls into two halves so I will either let or sell the half I don't need.
Charlie76 do you live on site to keep an eye on stuff (and to be impacted in your daily life if things go pear shaped)? I suspect employing a land agent to at least set it up might be a worthwhile investment.