substandard yards

scathach

Visit site
hi i wanted to check out if anyone knows where i stand, the yard i am about to leave due to ongoing issues with the yo about money and lack of jobs being done.
this started 2 years ago when i moved the stables on the day i went to look around i was told price was £20 per horse per week including use of the sand school that was being built and would soon be finished, running water to the field that was secure with high hedges on all sides and just my 2 horses in together and indoor stable block with 2 end stables and that she would provide hay and straw
soon after i arrived i was asked to move into a different area of grazing that for all sense and purposes wasn't a field but an area of scrub that they had fenced with electric wire but provided no shepard or elctric supply to make the wire work, then after 2 people left i was moved into a different field that has a huge pond at the bottom fenced off again with just a bit of electric wire still no electric supply no running water so have to cart water down in a water butt that i have provided. i have asked numerous times if the water will be attached to mains and just keep getting told her husband is to busy to fix it up. the gate is broken and hanging off the hindges and has dropped so badly that you have to lift it to open and close it even fell off and landed on my daughter leaving her with scratches on her legs where it landed. i told the yo nothing got said or the gate fixed it ties to a post with a bit of string as not even a proper closer on it.
this winter she has refused to provide me hay and straw and i have had to buy it in at a small fortune from the local farm shop, the area she offers to store leaks so much that the hay and straw she has for her own use is half rotten and a big section of the roof has blown off and has been left laying in the middle of the barn (a rusty big chunk of metal).
the stables themselves are built with bricks so weak that when my horse lent on it the wall almost fell down they patched it up with a bit of wood.
twice this year the electrics have shorted out leaving us with no lights for a total of 3 weeks and we had no water due to burst water pipes all xmas and new year we had to bring water from home.
there is a sess pit with broken covering so if anyone stood on it it could collapse.
they have a huge rat infestation yet leave bags of rubbish all over the place piled high and have never done anything about it and it is up to me to sweep up all the droppings or it would never get done. i have asked them too has i have children and i don't like them being down there where there is rat droppings and urine.
the sand school that was promised as part of the price as never been finished so never been able to use told we could use the field if i had too.
also i had to take a new horse into my field that cribbed, wind sucked and churned the field up by chasing around. then i was asked to move stables to acommadate it i was also left to turn it out and bring it in everyday for the owners never got paid or thanked even though it barged and dragged us around as it had no manners and was 3 years old.
we have never received any bill or a date to pay rent on the yo just appears and says i want my rent, i now got a bill and we have a difference in what is due of £200 i started keeping my own records and hers have 3 payments missing that i have on mine.
so the question is where do i stand legally on this i refuse to pay her money she has already had and i am leaving any how but i wanted to also warn people to get things in writing what you are paying for, complaints put it in writing, and keep your own records of what you have paid and in future i will always ask for a receipt

Last edited:

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
You're a patient woman, I would have been off 23 months ago. It sounds awful.
Do you have any bank statements to back up what you have paid ? Or any witnesses to back up the fact that you paid ? Otherwise just try and jog her memory with what was happening when you made the payments ie, conversation about car getting stuck in the snow or anything you might have talked about.

PennyJ

Visit site
I'd invite her to sue you... Just as you are about to depart of course. What about reporting her to environmental health, and possibly the planning department of the local council too.

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
I was at a yard, not quite so bad as your situation, but certainly very substandard and I moved (this was after a girl had an accident because her horse had tripped on the carpet of the school because it hadn't seen new sand for years!)

scathach

Visit site
no always paid cash, so i think it's going to be my word against hers i just don't want her giving me a bad reputation even though i have records but at the same time if i back down and find the £200 then it makes me look like i am lying about paying her in the first place. my mum was always with me when she was paid but no independant 3rd party sadly i am sure one of the payments i gave her husband to pass on and when i next saw her i asked if she got the money she said she had yet certain that one is missing, (her husband likes a drink) she always goes on about past people having left owing her money now i don't think they owed her money just she did to them as to me

Archangel

Visit site
I would be off and leave a note about the missing payments.
I think you will find your livery owner already has her own bad reputation so don't worry about yours!
If things cut up rough then you could remind her of the items already mentioned including business rates, inland revenue.

scathach

Visit site
left yard not even a question asked about the differences in my records and the yo, which makes me wonder if the yo knew their records where incorrect. horses have arrived at the new place and settled in really well in nice bright airy stables with nice pasture that is rotated and cross grazed on a 6 monthly cycle. rent is due on a set date every month receipts for cash given so much nicer and more professional :)

stroppy

Visit site
What do you expect for £20 a week? honestly for that the fact you have hay/starw and a stable provided is far beyond what you are paying for. at that price if your not happy don't moan, move! bloody heel i wish i only paid that.

Always Blue

Visit site
we pay 26 pound a week and its fab our yard is...we have stable, all year turnout,floodlit sand school, hay/haylage included and secure tackroom/storage.
its not about the price you pay...its whether the yard is designed for equine use.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
And you've stayed there 2 years??

Pay your notice and leave.

However, for £20 I must say (even with assurances it was part of your livery) I can't begin to see how the YO could actually afford to supply you with hay and bedding........

miss_bird

Visit site
Right so why did you not fix the gate yourself, it was you that had to deal with it, sorry but these sort of post annoy me.
You paid £20pw for stable field, bedding and hay, for crying out loud i was paying £850 a month for only stable and grazing and still done all my own repairs, it was for my horses and my safety so i did it, in reality how long does it take to reair a bit of fencing or a gate.
I would be happy paying what you paid and do the whole bloody place up, maybe yo was sick of you doing all the taking and never giving her a bit of help and for what you was paying a bit of your time to help her out would prob gone a long way in your favour.
Hope your new yard, is ready to drop everything to mend a bit of fencing as soon as you need it or else you might have to get used to all the power tools the rest of us have to learn to use.
Stop complaing and help yourself out a bit

niagaraduval

Visit site
I used to have problems too and I also got a lot of comments saying 'LEAVE ASAP' but It's not always that easy, and if it was you would have probably already left.
I also agree 20 quid a week is nothing and not really alot to complain about. I also think you should keep tabs on when she is paid and possibly make her sign it each week.

navaho

Visit site
I really do think it depends on where OP lives as to whether its cheap or not, i can get decent stable & grazing here for less than £20 a week, granted that doesn't include hay & straw, but then she did say that she wasn't getting any this year anyway. For those of you that say she should do the work herself...why should she, shes paying for a stable & suitable grazing, it is the YO responsibility to provide this & if the YO cant provide this then quite honestly they shouldn't be running a yard. I would, as others have already said, have moved months ago if it were me in your shoes. Hope you manage to get it sorted out.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
granted that doesn't include hay & straw

That is the key. I paid around £23 for DIY on a fantastic yard. Hay et al was on top. so you can easily add another £15 on top of that for bedding and hay......

olop

Visit site
What has made you stay.....I would have been off a long time ago!

On a serious note though whether you pay £10 a week or £100 a week the place you keep your horse should be a safe haven & this place clearly isnt doing the job. She has said this & that is included & has gone back on her word so that would have been enough for me.

I used to be on a DIY yard that was £23 a week that included hay & straw it was a pretty decent place & we are next to London so it can be done.

As for her saying you owe her money, like you say its her word against yours & if you know deep down you have paid there is nothing to worry about - get out asap & dont look back!

BonneMaman

Visit site
Right so why did you not fix the gate yourself, it was you that had to deal with it, sorry but these sort of post annoy me.
You paid £20pw for stable field, bedding and hay, for crying out loud i was paying £850 a month for only stable and grazing and still done all my own repairs, it was for my horses and my safety so i did it, in reality how long does it take to reair a bit of fencing or a gate.
I would be happy paying what you paid and do the whole bloody place up, maybe yo was sick of you doing all the taking and never giving her a bit of help and for what you was paying a bit of your time to help her out would prob gone a long way in your favour.
Hope your new yard, is ready to drop everything to mend a bit of fencing as soon as you need it or else you might have to get used to all the power tools the rest of us have to learn to use.
Stop complaing and help yourself out a bit

Jesus! You pay how much? Is that for one horse? I was paying £425 per month for 5 day livery including all feed, top quality haylage and bedding, top quality outdoor menage and fantastic off road hacking! Now pay £108 a month for DIY, no feed or bedding but indoor and outdoor school, v good grazing and all repairs carried out by YO (when we manage to nag him into it). If the agreement is for the YO to do the work for that money then that is the agreement - personally I do not have time to sometimes ride let alone mess around with power tools! Get off OP's case!

OP - thank god you are out of there - you must have the patience of a saint - sounds like YO might have been stuck between a rock and a hard place - yard in bad state so cannot charge but if you don't charge you cannot do up the yard...

Orange Peel.

Visit site
First of all, if I was you I wouldn't have lasted that long! I certainly would not pay again, just learn from my mistake of not keeping receipts ect.

I pay £30 a week on a brilliant yard; I also have an arrangement so my hay and bedding is included!

scathach

Visit site
we had to provide all our own hay and straw and feed which because they would leave their horse wondering around all day loose in the yard it would eat all your feed and hay. plus the barn had huge holes in it so all the hay and straw you had just been and fetched yourself in your own car got wet.

scathach

Visit site
Jesus! You pay how much? Is that for one horse? I was paying £425 per month for 5 day livery including all feed, top quality haylage and bedding, top quality outdoor menage and fantastic off road hacking! Now pay £108 a month for DIY, no feed or bedding but indoor and outdoor school, v good grazing and all repairs carried out by YO (when we manage to nag him into it). If the agreement is for the YO to do the work for that money then that is the agreement - personally I do not have time to sometimes ride let alone mess around with power tools! Get off OP's case!

OP - thank god you are out of there - you must have the patience of a saint - sounds like YO might have been stuck between a rock and a hard place - yard in bad state so cannot charge but if you don't charge you cannot do up the yard...
the hay and straw was not part the price the £20 per horse was for a safe stable and a safe secure field and a sand school of which non was provided the walls of the stables would fall down when a horse lent on them to rub their asse and i'm mean a 13hh show pony not a 18hh shire horse. i had to sort out and collect my own hay and bedding and feed not that anywhere dry to store it as the barn had half blown down and their own horse used to wonder about and eat everyone elses stuff. the electrics had shorted out twice and not been fixed properly by a registered electrician

scathach

Visit site
we have moved now and are at a lovely yard ran by a guy who has had the place for diy for over 20 years. it costs me the same price of £20 per horse per week plus we have an indoor school and 2.5 miles of off road riding the fields are sectioned off to accomadate 2-3 horses in each area with electric tape all maintained and powered by the owner. the feilds are regulary harrowed and fertilized hay and straw is provided by him at extra cost that is cheaper and better quality than any of the local feed merchants the stables are secure and bright easily muckout with no lights on in the daytime we get bills and receipts wish we had gone their sooner

brown tack

Visit site
I'm sorry but if the walls of a stable moved when a 13 hh pony rubbed its tail, I wouldn't be it in the stable!

Why would you?
If it isn't safe, don't use it repair it, or move.