Succeed Formula for Hindgut Issues - Worth It?

Myotto

Visit site
My horse is being treated for low grade squamous and glandular ulcers but also for hindgut disturbance. He is having Omeprazole injections and Misprostol for his ulcers and Succeed Veterinary Formula for his hindgut. I think Succeed is working and my horse loves to eat it but as its expensive I need to decide now whether to continue with it once I've used the last syringe. Reviews tend to be positive but does anyone have any thoughts?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Succeed was life saving for my horse, who has hind gut issues (but no foregut ulcers).

Vet has had much success with it, but did say that many horses have to stay on it. I've never dared to take mine off it!

You could try gradually reducing the dose, and see how it goes. I buy my Succeed from Viovet, though the cheaper powder version was out of stock last time, so I got the paste syringes.

Myotto

Visit site
Succeed was life saving for my horse, who has hind gut issues (but no foregut ulcers).

Vet has had much success with it, but did say that many horses have to stay on it. I've never dared to take mine off it!

You could try gradually reducing the dose, and see how it goes. I buy my Succeed from Viovet, though the cheaper powder version was out of stock last time, so I got the paste syringes.
The syringes are cheaper than the powder at Pet Drugs Online. £89

Bellaboo18

Visit site

Exactly this for me.
Mine scoped clear after treatment for grade 2 foregut ulcers but was biting her side, a few days on succeed the biting had stopped and she was much happier.
I also get it from viovet. I wont be taking her off it!

Last edited:

Melody Grey

Visit site
I can’t say Succeed did anything great for my ulcer horse (was on it for two or three months). Vet did prescribe Gastrokind though which is still about £60/ month but seems to suit mine who is quite settled on it. We did also try Equitop Pronutrin on vets advice during ulcer treatment- difficult to say whether it worked as the effect might have been the drugs?! That’s quite expensive too though- probably not much behind succeed.

ETA: I don’t know if you’re claiming on insurance OP, but despite Succeed being the known treatment for hindgut issues, my insurer classed it as a dietary supplement and refused to pay for it, even though my (very senior) vet wrote a letter protesting.