sudden change in mares behaviour

EJ87

Visit site
My mare as u may be aware has been quite colicly over the past week ir sk we think. she has been quite grumpy and off her food but still eating drinking and pooing. i took her to our normal lesson yesterday and she just would not go at all did not want to move thought she was just being nappy and gave her a tap with the wipe and she just bucked got a canter but she just flew so thought she must be in pain. rang vet he told me to turn her out to grass and leave her out anx she how she is so iv done so. went to see her this morning and she nickered came over to the gate then when i went across the paddock to look at her poos she galloped towards me and bucked right at me i actually thought she was going to cone for me again as she was twisting her head at me. then she flipped went back to her kind natured self again cam over sniffed me and let me pet her really calm. iv been watching her from the window and she keeps taking off in gallop one min like she spooked at something but theres nothing there and next shes fine grazing away. do u think shes in pain? Im not sure what to do with her im actually slighting scared as its totally not like her she normally is very kind natured and bomb proof.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Please call your vet back. If she was def colicky and is now galloppig about with a behavioural change then, yes, she is probably in pain.

Why didn't vet come out to a colicky horse? We had the same problem last week, vet was out in 20 minutes, mare injected and she was fine afterwards.. might have been a different story if we had left her.