Sudden collapse

Brummyrat

Visit site
Haven't been on here for a while but this is an odd one and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts. We rehomed an 8 year old cross breed terrier back in March, he really is a lovely dog, so laid back he's almost horizontal, acts about 80! He just potters about and enjoys a very slow walk in the evening. He'll come to the stables and loves that but again, doesn't run about with the other dogs. This is mainly due to his arthritic front legs (he's half corgi) which he's on Loxicom for. He sees the vet regularly and apart from his arthritis he's in fine fettle however we had an odd thing happen on Friday last week. He will not tolerate a harness, the rescue charity told me that which they put down to his sore legs, they said he also didn't really like a coat on. However I have put a coat on him a couple of times just to try as he knows us now and he's been ok. So coat went on Friday as it was pouring, its only a back cover with one Velcro strap so nothing hard to get on, and away we went. Whilst at the yard his Velcro strap came undone and I couldn't hold him still to do it up so I picked him up and another livery re-did the strap. Put him down and within 20 seconds he'd collapsed. I have never been so scared in my life. I carried him into the feed room, limp in my arms, and held him trying to revive him, I honestly thought he was dying. He didn't lose consciousness but his eyes were like saucers. Eventually he came round properly about five minutes and drank a load of water and his stumpy tail started wagging has been fine since. Now Id have said it was related to a panic attack triggered by the pick up/coat scenario - suffice to say he wont be wearing a coat again, but apparently dogs don't usually suffer panic attacks. Has anyone seen anything similar? His heart is in perfect nick according to his last check up.

Clodagh

Visit site
Border terriers have some syndrome whereby they can faint, I can't remember any details but I remember MIL's old one doing it back in the day. (if he is part BT).
Hopefully it will never happen again, must have taken years off you"!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Not easy to think about in the heat of the moment, but if it happens again, definitely try to video it, if you can.

I can think of a few different things, from some things already mentioned by others, to a squeezed nerve, or cataplexy, which in some cases are caused by Narcolepsy, and some cases not.

To start somewhere, have you asked the rescue charity about what information they had, which made them tell you he couldn't wear a harness?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
If he doesn't like a coat or harness on, it may very well be his back and while vet checks are helpful, unless his back is x-rayed or scanned, there is no way of knowing whether it's an issue or not, and it is an issue in the Corgi because of their conformation, which can be the same with any long-backed, short legged breed.

satinbaze

Visit site
Border terriers have some syndrome whereby they can faint, I can't remember any details but I remember MIL's old one doing it back in the day. (if he is part BT).
Hopefully it will never happen again, must have taken years off you"!

Border terriers also can have a genetic gluten intolerance that causes collapse and fitting. There is a test for it. I walk a cocker x poodle that has this and the smallest amount of gluten will cause him to faint. He also has very itchy skin and associated allergies

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Our previous dog did something like this, just the once. I had my back to him when he fell over so didn't see exactly what happened but he was on his side and lost bladder control. By the time we got him to the vet he was fine and vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. It never happened again. I wondered if it was some kind of t i a. Maybe yours had something similar?

Brummyrat

Visit site
Sorry I just realised I hadn't responded to this. I did get him checked out and all his vital signs were perfect. Ive got to take him back for bloods in the next couple of weeks as a matter of course as he's on long term meds for his arthritis but he's been absolutely fine since, been at the yard with me all day yesterday practically and had a wonderful time. I just haven't ever put his coat on and I won't ever again, Im sure it was the trigger for whatever reason and he really doesn't need a coat as Im not going to be taking him out in torrential rain anyway. So good news, it was very scary - thank your responses.