Sudden dull coat?

Troggy

Visit site
Hi

Over the last couple of days Toff's coat has become more dull and staring, almost like when they "fluff" up when cold. She also has been a bit more grumpy (although has always been a bit of a grump so quite hard to tell!)
Any ideas what could cause this? I am almost certain she isn't cold, the base of her ears are warm and she wintered out with no rug without getting cold! Her diet hasn't changed, he exersise hasn't changed and she is drinking and pooing the same?
He coat has always been really shiny:

2355357020057069594iwRxIP_ph.jpg

Soooo, any ideas? I know the weather has been a lot more dull and cool but she has never looked like this before. Should have taken a picture really tonight but forgot!

S_N

Visit site
Please don't take this the wrong way, but she may have a worm burden? A friend's horse did this in June, (kept on a well managed yard, that has a good worming regime). The horse was given the Panacur 5 day wormer and within a fortnight looked all shiny and glossy again.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
She may just be beginning to change her coat, the weather has gone from extreme heatwave conditions to fairly cold weather in the last few weeks and your horse may just be adjusting to her environment, and fluffing up a bit causing it to look a bit dull. If your really worried about her over the next couple of weeks or so perhaps arrange to have her blood tested and checked out by your vet.

spaniel

Visit site
A lot of horses are now showing starry stood up coats....its because the temperature has dropped about 20 degrees and they are trying to keep warm. I really dont think you need to worry about 'CUSHINGS' disease Trogs.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if her winter coat starts to come thorugh now as well....lots are doing the same thing.

Theres an old saying....' No horse looks well at Blackberry Time' which is pretty much true.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF gets veeeeeery dull when she's changing her coat (no matter what the season!) Right now she's got the worst coat on the yard; doesn't help with her getting sweaty and then going out in the sun... At least I can be sure she'll be shiny and gorgeous again in 3-4 weeks.
I expect that's what's happening with your girl
smile.gif

pottamus

Visit site
I would say that the sudden change in weather has done this. My boys coat looks like it is just about to change so does not look quite to glossy and he has had a few 'bad moods' too. He is sensitive to changes in the weather and always gets grumpy so I would say it is more than likely to be that with your horse. Just keep an eye on her for any other changes.

Troggy

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies, will assume it's the change of weather for now (wet and windy today, she was a bit fluffed up so have dug out her l/w rug which hasn't seen the light of day for over a year!! seems bit happier!)
With regards to cushings - I looked up the symptons and they seemed to describe how she is naturally - lol! Sway back, pot belly, lethargy and increased appetite! That's Toff! But it's good to keep an eye out I suppose....
crazy.gif

Worming wise she is on a good routine and has regular worm counts which have always been clear but thanks for the info.
I am just being extra paranoid at the moment, the last 2 shows we have been to we have been eliminated at the 1st or 2nd jump so have been wondereing if something isn't quite right. I have been putting it down to the hard ground.
Yes I am paranoid!!LOL!
smile.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I would agree here about the cooler weather being the culprit of the duller coat,that was my immediate thought,the horses on my yard including mine are looking a bit duller,its just that cooler air i reckon,an autumnal feel which is bringing a slightly fluffier coat.

Enfys

Visit site
My old Uncle (who has been dead for 30 years) used to call this time of year "Blackberry time" what he meant was the horses coats started to change and they began to look a bit dull. I notice that with this chilly spell there are quite a few horses sprouting LW's in the fields now, I know that if I still had Ali he would have been wearing one now, if he hadn't been begging to come in.

Beanyowner

Visit site
Bensons is the same at the moment...I put it down to the slightly colder weather and have dug out his L/W for his pajamas! He even started shedding his summer coat today!! Aaaaggghhh!!!!! NOOOOO It can't be coming on for winter already
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Blackberry Season - is he also shedding his coat??

I've always found that Amy's coat starts looking pretty horrid this time of year. The season is moving in to Autumn, the days are getting shorter and they start chaning their coats.

selina25

Visit site
yes lue my sheltand is shedding to, if I was you I would check his gums if pale it could be worms and also show that something is wrong then I would get the vet....

there is a horse in our field with cushings and if advanced there would be no question they look like wooly mammouths swrly fur as well

good luck