Sudden onset of head tossing when doing the grith up....

olop

Visit site
Over the past few weeks I have noticed my boy has starting tossing his head violently when I do the girth up (mounted or unmounted).
I have tried chaging the girth (he was in one with elastic both sides) to one without elastic & even one with elastic one side & he still does it. He also does it when I girth him up in a lunging roller.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be?? He has no girth galls as have checked for those.

TIA.

olop

Visit site
Thanks for the replies - he only had the saddle checked a little while back (in July) so doubt it would be that, I only use a martingale if I jump he does it with or without a martingale.

Kenzo

Visit site
But has he changed shape since July or have you altered his work, could be that his saddle is giving him some jip somewhere, also it could be habit he's developed if he's anticipating some other kind of pain somewhere, doesn't always have to be related to his back and saddle or girth area, has his gait changed or any lumps/swelling developed anywhere in his legs, any un even muscle tone along his topline,shoulders and chest or shortness to his stride in front, disuniting in canter or jumping into the next pace, going on the forehand more than usual? all this could be little niggling signs that there could be an issue somewhere so this is his way of displaying it without doing anything drastic when your actually riding him.

How old is is, could there be any changes to his teeth perhpas?

LaurenBay

Visit site
How is he otherwise? If he has become more grumpy and less willing all together then I would call vet and ask to scope for ulcers.

If it is only noticeable when tacking up, Physio or Chrio and saddler (although you have said his recently been checked) would be my first point of call.

olop

Visit site
He hasnt changed shape that I have noticed, we did a dressage test on Saturday & came 2nd so no loss of performance there or gait change (we got an excellent score for our paces & rythm :eek: )

No major change in his workload - he normally gets ridden 6 days a week but where its been so windy here he has had a few more days off than normal.

Teeth are fine, also only had them done a few months back (May), he is rising 10.

Not really come across anything like this before so I dont know what to think of it, its been going on a couple of weeks now, maybe time to get a vet?? He isnt any grumpier than normal (he usually pulls the odd face but no more so than usual!) just this random girthiness.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Some Horses just don't like their girths done up at all, My old share mare (who I still ride occasionly now) hates her girth. To the point she threatens to bite you. She has done this for 6 years! no problems once it's done up. But to help her settle I would do it loosley, then gradually do it tighter and tighter. Have you tried this ?

If it's a very sudden thing, I would think that he is trying to tell you something. I would try what I suggested with the girth being done gradually (say over 10 minutes) first though.

bluewhippet

Visit site
My gelding is very sensitive in the girth area and I have him in a stubben string girth and do it up in very gradual degrees. Still looks like he wants to bite chunks out of me occasionally, but not quite such big chunks!