Sudden storm this afternoon..

Spottyappy

Visit site
Link doesn't show content?
Glad your horses ok. It was awful, wasn't it, blew my hen house over,luckily hens all ok.
My daughter narrowly missed, by 1 metre, a large branch falling on her car.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Yes we had it here in wirral, girls were just about to tack up for jump clinic with Andrew heffernan when it hit, hail, wind, thunder the whole lot.. We hid in lorry till it passed

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Aww don't know how to get the pics up, never mind, trust me that tree is HUGE!! The corral at the entrance to the field is smashed to bits, I'm so relieved the horses weren't in the way.

Hell of a storm wasn't it?

Greylegs

Visit site
Certainly was one heck of a storm ... I'd just finished a schooling session, put my boy in his stable and was in the tack room (in another building) putting my tack away when it hit. Self and friend were stuck in the tack room till it passed over, even though it was only a few yards to pony's stable. Hail, thunder and lightening, huge winds ... The lot. Wow! Yard covered in hail stones when we finally emerged. Quite a site. Roll on spring ...

On the Hoof

Visit site
Luckily just the wind and rain here, unluckily was out on hack when it blew up. Lolita turned into a giraffe on springs and jig jogged all the way home, never been so happy to see that gate!

Doug

Visit site
I was out hacking in the storm. It's fair to say I have had more enjoyable hacks!

Horse was a absolute dude and didn't bat an eyelid even with horizontal hail in his face and thunder and lightening all around us. Maybe there was just too much to spook at so he couldn't make his mind up?!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
My friend and I had just started schooling the horses when there was really loud thunder, and flashes of lightening . We carried on for a bit until there was a really long, loud thunder roar and heavy hail came down! So we legged it to the field shelter and hid until it settled down. Not seen a storm like that in ages, lightening flashing across the sky and lighting up the fields, was scary !! Horses were not bothered though, just dozed off and ignored it.

mil1212

Visit site
I was out hacking in the storm. It's fair to say I have had more enjoyable hacks!

Same, me and friend were out hacking on cannock chase, started in beautiful sunshine, ended with us cantering back to the lorry rapid! Lightening right in front of us and thunder at the same time! Horses werent too worried, i was, when we were surrounded by trees!

Asha

Visit site
my daughter had just got back from a hack, ( 1st ride in quite a few weeks) with the 2 youngsters, just sat down for a cup of tea and it hit. Couldn't believe the lightening ! so glad they weren't out in that. I was counting 1 elephant , and never got to 2, so must have been right over head. Scary stuff.

mirage

Visit site
My girls were just grooming the ponies ready for a hack,and my youngest said she didn't want to ride as knobberpony was jumpy and spooking at nothing.I was moving the fence and heard the thunder,so told them to get the rugs back on and turn the ponies back out asap.They did and took cover in a shed whilst I battled to sort the fence out.I have never seen anything like it.I think knobberpony must have heard it before we did and that was why she was behaving so out of character.Thank goodness she did,otherwise we'd have been caught out on our hack,a mile away from home.We were all drenched anyway and battered by hail stones.

Copperpot

Visit site
I was in the field poo picking. Went and stood in the field shelter. Horses didn't thou and were happy to be hit by the hail and continue to graze. I do love thunder and lightening thou.

Archangel

Visit site
Mine had their rugs off today, was just brushing my mare and felt a drop of rain, by the time I was doing her rug up it was taking two of us to hold it down! Then driving home a tree fell across the road right in front of my car, it wasn't a massive one but would have done enough damage to my car.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
gosh yes some storm! hit here at 3.15ish just got into the indoor school for a lesson. The thunder and lightening and the shaking school were really alarming as was the water pouring though ceiling by the light fittings! my horse was spooked but happily is very obedient and kept it together as we waited it out. Then went really nicely for me. when i left the arena I was astounded to see the ground covered in snow/ice had to drive lorry back on slippy roads - not so fun!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I caught in a friend's horse who did a handstand when a massive empty container flew through the air and hit him! It all happened too quickly to be scary, poor rosé was wetting himself all the way up the lane!

Silmarillion

Visit site
I was hacking out in it, my boy was such a saint and just plodded on and ignored it while the two we were with were rather upset (the others are both 18, mine is 8 and it was his second hack with me as he only arrived last week!) We got home safely and I got off and hugged him!
I've never experienced anything quite like it - it was very scary.

starandgarfy51

Visit site
As I came out of the woods, I could see lightening dropping in the open field I had to pass through to get home! there was no way back short of the main road in a hailstorm!!!
We stopped. I said out loud oh **** She took the rein, not strong just determined. Her head was down,ears back, haunches in. She carried me home, as I hunkered down around her neck.
By the time we got back, we were battered by the storm, cold and soaking! But even though she can be a complete idiot,to the point of the rediculous,she didn't once try to stop.
It's odd because she was so fresh and spooky before the storm hit, yet so calm when it happened!

Echo Bravo

Visit site
We had just gotten the horses in, when it hit, Thunder and lightening and the hail stones, looked like it had been snowing afterwards, so glad I didn't stay home to watch the 3.35 at Cheltenham or they would have been out in the middle of it.

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Sis and i were poo picking. Saw it coming about 15 mins or so before it reached us so had time to finish poo picking whilst having front row view of horizontal lightening. Got back to yard as it was getting too close for comfort. Then a couple of mins later it caught up. Amazing weather!

Molasses

Visit site
another who caught caught out hacking in it
horse had the spook/head home with the head tucked dilemma and thankfully was tuck and run for home saint about it all, lightning was fairly dramatic and the waves of hail soaked us through. got home to worried OH who was starting the lorry to come and find us...bless...easier to ride home than load a horse at the side of the road. but points for worrying i thought:eek:

armchair_rider

Visit site
We didn't have the thunder and lightning but boy did we have the wind and rain. I think I've found all the stuff that was in the recycling bin but I'm by no means sure. Certainly would not have wanted to have been out in it. I actually wasn't that surprised, I had the racing on and after Cheltenham got deluged I did wonder if we might.

Talyn

Visit site
Guess we got off lightly then! We had some strong wind and a heavy downpour, but no thunder, lightening or hail.