Suddenly Riggy?

skint1

Visit site
Question for you HHO people, I have a 13yo Tb gelding, owned him for 2 years, never had a problem with him in turnout until recently he has begun to get really aggressive with his field mates, particularly guarding the mares in the fields on either side of his. Recently, the word "riggy" has been used to describe him, I would never have believed it of him but it seems to be true.

According to his records he was gelded early (he's an ex racer) and as I said, never really had any problem with him before this year, has anyone had this happen to their horse? Any advice on how I can sort this before he hurts someone (ie the horses, he is fine with people)?

Tash88

Visit site
Could it be because a few of the mares near him are now in season? Has a new gelding joined/left the herd recently? These scenarios made my last horse a bit riggy during the summer months and it is the only thing I can think of.

Auslander

Visit site
I've literally just replied to a post in another section about this!
My horse decided he was a ladies man last year, after 15 years of not being remotely interested in mares. He's not interested in mounting mares, but got seriously protective of his girl, and would not tolerate any other gelding coming bear her. We had to separate him and the mare from the others, and they co-habited very happily. He wouldnt tolerate geldings touching noses with her over the fence, and had no hesitation about charging them - but as long as he was between them and her, all was quiet.

He's just moved house, and is out with a gelding now. He's totally reverted to being the underdog again, and is much more relaxed about life now he doesn't have 'responsibilities'!!

Going by what I've experienced, Id try and get him out in a single sex group, even if it is a mare group, where he can be the resident 'stallion'

suffolkmare

Visit site
May be a good idea to speak to your vet, it sounds unusual to suddenly behave like this at this age, may need to be checked for possibility of it being some sort of tumour, but I wonder if there's other possibilities? Hope you can sort it out before anyone gets hurt, or other owners start getting worried, best wishes.

suffolkmare

Visit site
Having just seen Auslanders post, maybe it's not that unusual after all, and perhaps the sudden grass growth (with extra fructans) has contributed and it's his way of showing how well he feels right now!

Elfen

Visit site
My 13 year old tb ex racer became extremely attached to the very dominant mare next door to him last year. So much so that he didn't move in the field - just stood in one spot to be close to her. When I brought him in or tried to ride he was awful - neighing, napping - very very unlike him. I moved his field so he was no where near her and he reverted back to character immediately. I now have to be very careful about him and mares - cant travel him to shows with one and can't box next to one when staying away - he likes his ladies!!

Auslander

Visit site
Having just seen Auslanders post, maybe it's not that unusual after all, and perhaps the sudden grass growth (with extra fructans) has contributed and it's his way of showing how well he feels right now!

I think it's the equine version of a mid-life crisis

Puddock

Visit site
It's a bizarre new trend - after 20-odd years of happily asexual existence - my old guy now fancies himself as a bit of a player. To be honest, it's more amusing than anything, as he doesn't do anything bad - just calls to his "ladies" over the fence a lot and is frequently seen showing off a ridiculous hackney-style trot up and down the fence line. He'd lived next to mares for years and never batted an eyelid, even when they were all in season at once.

bings

Visit site
Question for you HHO people, I have a 13yo Tb gelding, owned him for 2 years, never had a problem with him in turnout until recently he has begun to get really aggressive with his field mates, particularly guarding the mares in the fields on either side of his. Recently, the word "riggy" has been used to describe him, I would never have believed it of him but it seems to be true.

According to his records he was gelded early (he's an ex racer) and as I said, never really had any problem with him before this year, has anyone had this happen to their horse? Any advice on how I can sort this before he hurts someone (ie the horses, he is fine with people)?

My 13 year old warmblood has recently formed an attachment to the mare in the next field , he too has never showed any interest in mares before .He is totally in love with her ,he constantly calls to her when i bring him in ,and even when i ride him .Its so out of character for him .

Auslander

Visit site
Alf even has a 'type'! He likes big dark bay TB mares. Has fallen hopelessly in love with two of that sort, and never even glanced at chestnuts, coloureds, greys, bright bays, or cobby types - all of which have made themselves available to him.

Puddock

Visit site
Lol, mine's quite taken with a leggy brunette tb too ;) he's a Gelderlander with a ridiculous head carriage anyway - he grows to about 20hh whenever she walks past :rolleyes:

skint1

Visit site
Well its great that so many other middle aged gents are behaving the same way. I've been wondering about moving him in with mare and her buddies, he spent winter with them.

Also we have had new mare in field next to his and also his former best buddy is back from horse college, lots of change going on.