suffering with the heat

tormor

Visit site
My boy is really suffering with the heat this year. he is constantly hot and is often sweated up. He has already coliced once the other night. He is in over night and out during the day with a fly rug on. I know that having him out over night would be the best thing but he's not allowed out. is there anything i can do to try and help him.

Panther

Visit site
apart from the broodmare/foals mine are in during day and out at night..
You say you can't do this... what about out early morn... in mid day and out for another stint before dark..
Even the best fly sheet in world contains heat... could you possibly do without..

I am cold hosing mine down it's so hot..

tormor

Visit site
its more trying to keep him cool at night. although he get hot during the day i can hose him off but its at night when i can't controll it.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
To try to keep him cool overnight, I only have the obvious suggestions;
1. Make sure all windows/vents are open
2. Make sure he has plenty of water (and a salt lick so he can replace sweated electrolytes)
3. Consider fitting a chain/webbing stall guard across his door so you can leave the door open
4. Cover any windows during the day, shut the top doors to keep the heat out so it stays cool til he comes in.
5. Investigate whether you can fit a fan of some kind (roof/free standing outside?)
6. Don't rug him up, make sure his mane and tail are not too long...and perhaps consider clipping him if he's a hairy.
Sorry nothing more original.
S
smile.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Forgot to say
7. Perhaps see if you can provide a small 'paddling pool' or container of water for him to play in if he gets too hot.
And don't worry if he sweats...it's natural for them to do it a bit.
S
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Why cant you turn him out at night? If its a matter of keeping your horse from getting colic over it then I would demand it!!

I would definately clip him. And as you're doing, wash him down a lot (ideally with cooling washes).

Blimey, we dont have the heat up here at all!! Its chilly tonight to the point that Im thinking of putting an extra rug on mine!