Suffolk?

Charlie77

Visit site
I'm potentially eventually moving to Suffolk, from Kent, are there many competition centre's? I mostly dressage and SJ, just want to do a bit of research. What it's like for keeping horses in general? What sort of soil is it? Kent seems to be either sand or clay? Is it a very wet county? Many thanks x

Street_Skill

Visit site
I live on the Norfolk Suffolk border and compete mostly at affiliated dressage. I manage to get out once a fortnight, more often if I want to go just over the border into Norfolk or Essex. There are a few competition centres, but you're not looking at the scale of Keysoe, Arena UK, Houghton Hall etc. They are smaller but still offer good facilities such as outdoor schools, maybe an indoor, livery and regular competitions. Have a look at Boyton Hall, Topthorn, GWC Equestrian Centre, Newton Hall, Orwell Arena (not sure if it's still called that!), Centaur Trust, The Jays or just over the border in Norfolk Easton and Otley College, Bramton Equestrian, Forest Edge and Anvil Stud. As for soil, it can be clay but closer to the coast obviously it is more sandy. Last year we had such a wet winter the horses were practically swimming and they were regularly kept in to try and preserve the fields. So far this year they have had turn out every day bar one I think. Hope that helps!

blackislegirl

Visit site
I'm potentially eventually moving to Suffolk, from Kent, are there many competition centre's? I mostly dressage and SJ, just want to do a bit of research. What it's like for keeping horses in general? What sort of soil is it? Kent seems to be either sand or clay? Is it a very wet county? Many thanks x

In addition to the previous reply, Wix EC is also easily reached from the eastern side of Suffolk. The coast is very sandy - eg Poplar Park - which makes for good going in wet weather, but for poor grazing. Most of the rest of the county has clay soil, some of it heavy. In general, rainfall is low, although these days it's hard to predict. You can get a good feel for what's going and where in in Suffolk and the rest of East Anglia by looking at the Horsedates website.

Charlie77

Visit site
Thanks ladies, this is a huge help, I'd potentially be looking for a small farm / small holding I keep goats and have 2 x horses, may be even start a small livery, with just enough horses to pay for keeping my 2, I would want to make my own hay. Any areas to avoid? Or areas I should look at?

Siennasong

Visit site
Look around the Woodbridge area, my absolute favourite place (and then you will also be near Poplar Park).. countryside on this side of Suffolk is AMAZING

Street_Skill

Visit site
Maybe have a look around the Mid-Suffolk area, possibly Stowmarket and the surrounding villages? Good road links as easy access to the A14 for heading west and south and also the A140 for going north into Norfolk. I would also think that you would get better value for money in that area compared to Bury St. Edmunds (beautiful), Ipswich (not my favourite part of the county) or costal areas which, although the hacking and countryside is amazing, tend to be pricier because of it and probably tourism. It is also popular with second home owners so for some reason this also seems to push prices up. I don't have much knowledge of the Sudbury area so might be worth a look in terms of house prices, but you do have the stunning villages of Long Melford and Lavenham nearby so might be a bit pricey!