Sugar beet or coolstance copra

missallym

Visit site
hi,
I am looking at adding one or both of the above to my horses feed. He is currently on soaked grass nuts, thunderbrook base mix and chaff, linseed. He needs a bit of extra weight on him, and a bit more energy, though he doesn't look underweight at the moment.
He has also started hiccupping recently. Now, I know that could be ulcers. Vet has said it is not thumps, and to either scope, or try alfalfa. so I am going to mix grass nuts with alfalfa pellets, so he has a bit of alfalfa. See if it sorts itself out first, and if not then I will scope.
Hiccups can also be caused by calcium deficiency.
I have read up on sugar beet, and this is low sugar/starch, good source of fibre, and can sort out calcium deficiencies.
Coolstance could give him the energy he needs. but then so could the sugar beet. it would be the unmollassed type.
So, looking for a bit of advice, would you just use one and which one, or both?

be positive

Visit site
You may find the alfalfa pellets are enough to give him more energy and balance any calcium deficiency, I would introduce them gradually over the next few weeks and then reassess rather than add 2 or 3 extra things into the mix in one go, which will not allow you to know what is working, I prefer to keep feed as simple as possible and not have too many different components.

missallym

Visit site
You may find the alfalfa pellets are enough to give him more energy and balance any calcium deficiency, I would introduce them gradually over the next few weeks and then reassess rather than add 2 or 3 extra things into the mix in one go, which will not allow you to know what is working, I prefer to keep feed as simple as possible and not have too many different components.
ah, didn't realise alfalfa can also sort calcium too. That is good to know, I will try the alfalfa first then, as that can also help with ulcers if he has them , and see how he gets on with that. thank you.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Agree with above the alfalfa might be all you need, be careful though some horses have various reactions to it, ranging from itchy skin to making them hyper (You wanted energy) it sends my Arabs loopy they can't have it.

missallym

Visit site
Agree with above the alfalfa might be all you need, be careful though some horses have various reactions to it, ranging from itchy skin to making them hyper (You wanted energy) it sends my Arabs loopy they can't have it.
yes, I will just introduce it gradually, and see how it affects him, as I know some horses cant take to it.