Suggestions for a dog for my mum pls

jenbleep

Visit site
My mother is 65 years old and has recently expressed an interest in getting a dog. She lives in a small bungalow, has a garden (which will need to be re-fenced) and would like a small dog which doesn’t need loads of exercise (so nothing too energetic – no collies or spaniels!). She would walk the dog twice a day for around 30 minutes for each walk. She would like one to keep her company (she lives alone). What type would you suggest for her?

I thought of a Jack Russell but then all the JR’s I’ve ever met have been very energetic! :) Maybe she should look for something older? Or a cat? LOL

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
You could look at an older rescue or contact a breeder to see if they have any older stock or returns (this can happen because of relationship breakdown, illness etc). Most of the JRTs I know are pretty, erm, hectic!!

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Dachshund, Mini Dachshund (both come in three coat types), Pug?

SadKen

Visit site
JRT do have a lot of energy (I speak from personal experience, ours used to tow my dad round the park on his bike flat out for miles, and still wasn't tired).

A slightly more mature rescue dog (say 6/7 years old) would probably thoroughly enjoy the chance to live with your mum. They tend to be a bit more sedate at that age which I think would be better, you don't want to be bouncing about all over the shop after young dogs! I'd perhaps steer clear of collie or springer types as I think their enthusiasm for life doesn't diminish with age! I think rescues try to pair you up with a suitable dog but also let you meet them a few times so you can see how you get on, which will help.

What about a greyhound? The ones I've met have been polite, loving and good on lead - I don't think they need excessive exercise and would be happy with a bit of walking every day, maybe not too bothered about missing a long walk if it's raining etc! (although I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly!).

djedgley

Visit site
There is a great website called oldies.org.uk. They have lots of healthy middle aged dogs looking for homes. Good Luck!!

pippixox

Visit site
grey hounds like a good blast for 10 minutes and then sleep the rest of the time- or at least my friends ones do! also when ever I've seen them out on leads they are well behaved. the only issue is if your mum has somewhere safe for them to zoom around, as they can have a high chase drive.
i agree she should go for an older dog, at least 3 years old and would not rule out a slightly larger breed as some of them are pretty calm, but wont fit on her lap! (although my GSD does try!)

jenbleep

Visit site
Thanks for your replies everybody!

I had thought of a whippet or greyhound as I've heard they like a good run but then are happy to be sedate when not walking, so this is an option. We had a lurcher type about 15 years ago (where does the time go! :S ) and she loved Holly :)

Contacting a breeder is also a good idea, I wasn't aware that they might have older dogs.

As cute as puppies are, I think an older dog is probably the best bet. :)

MuddyTB

Visit site
Greyhounds or whippets are both lovely and gentle. They don't have to be massive but probably a bit bigger than the terriers etc you are thinking of.

Our greyhound has two 20 minute walks every day on a lead, (we can't trust him to let him off), and is more than happy with that. He doesn't pull on the lead at all just trots along. The rest of the time they sleep and are very affectionate and calm.

Also there are a lot of retired racers aged 4+ so they are a bit more mature.

Bodger

Visit site
Just another vote for greyhounds. Ours is an absolute sweetheart, very gentle and very happy to just walk on the lead if that's all thats on offer! Her favourite pastime is snoozing on the sofa next to you :) Can't recommend them enough!

debsandpets

Visit site
I would also recommend a greyhound for your mum. They have a huge amount of manners on the lead and don't pull. Once they have had a walk they tend to sleep for the rest of the day, until dinner or their next walk time :) Also unlike many smaller dogs they are not very vocal.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Definatly a whippet .
Or an older dog whose owner has passed away , our vets try to place these and the dogs trust too I think.

Goldenstar

Visit site
it might be worth contacting the Cinnamon Trust they take on dogs when owners have passed away through old age or illness, they also continue to pay vet costs if needed

I have just taken a look at their website ,I am going to send them my bah humbug I'm an atheist don't do Christmas cards Christmas donation to them this year thanks for this Twiggy2

Leo Walker

Visit site
A whippet! Small, easily appeased with with 2 x 30mins walk, dont really noticeably shed, and mine is the most affectionate creature I've ever met! He would love it if I was retired and could spend all day with him on my lap :p

Clodagh

Visit site
I would absolutely say not a sight hound, unless it is well trained. Does she want to be face first on the pavement when it sees a squirrel? Whippet would at least be not as strong as a greyhound.
My mum - 75 - has got a collie she got from preloved and the dog is 7 years old. She has been fine and is happy with a shorter walk on the days mum can't do more but happy to tromp for miles if she can. Not saying collie specifically but meaning most older dogs fit in with a more sedate lifestyle very well.