Suggestions for cheeky pony!

TripleOG

New User
Visit site
We have a new pony for my son who is playing up a little at the moment and I'd like some advice as to tack changes we could consider if we need them! He is currently just being ridden in a loose ring snaffle and a running martingale but I think once we get out and about a bit more we might need something else.
We have had him for just 3 weeks so I'm not expecting miracles yet! He has behaved nicely some of the time he has been ridden but a couple of times put some large bucks in when first cantering and has taken off a couple of times too-I don't want to describe it as bolting as he has literally just sped off but been pulled up easily by my son. He has started to be a bit cheeky on the ground too-after the first 10 days of behaving impeccably he is sometimes pulling back to get away when being turned out.
But then tonight he was travelled to a new venue-a large showground arena-and jumped like a little star in a lesson and really looked after my son-which was great for his confidence.
However my son is nervous because of the occasional naughtiness and I feel once we come to ride out of the safety of arenas he may need more to keep the pony under control and/or to boost his confidence-I have visions of him broncking off into the distance!
So we are looking for a little more in the way of brakes and/or something to help deter him from bucking. When he has sped off it has been with his head down.
I have spoken to a few different people who have seen him ridden and am getting such variety in what I could consider! Flash noseband, stronger bit, daisy rein, different martingale.....everyone has different opinions! I'm a bit reluctant to be switching to a more harsh bit as he is stoppable and my son doesn't ride with the lightest of hands. But what I really want to do is feel confident that if the pony does mess around in a less contained environment my son will be able to correct him.
For information pony is 8yrs old, 13.2 and my son is 12. Saddle is newly fitted to him, teeth and back all checked. We are of course continuing to work him, school him and take him to lots of new places and we may find this cheeky behaviour subsides-it does seem to disappear once the pony is jumping which he seems to love!
Thanks

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I'm a bit reluctant to be switching to a more harsh bit as he is stoppable and my son doesn't ride with the lightest of hands.

Could it be that because of this that they get into a leaning battle and all control goes out the window? Rather than swapping tack could you work on your son getting him forward and up off the shoulder so he can't lean and tank. As daft as it sounds a tanker needs more leg and less rein to get them to stop - get them working harder then slow from the seat then hand. As soon as they are off the shoulder and working properly it makes steering and breaks so much easier. What about caveletti canter poles to get him really lifting in the canter rather than rushing through it?

Dubsie

Visit site
I'm with Equidae. I would suggest the pony is testing him out. We had one like that, and he did the same for his next owners after a week or two of perfect pony! Of course that outing there was so much new to see and new things to do he didn't get the opportunity to think of testing your son out, hence being so good - another pony we had, thought nothing of jumping the wings to avoid the jump if at home, first outing double clear and won the class as there was so much else to look at/think about so when the jumps came up the pony just jumped them.
We got round this by doing 100 walk halt trot transitions (or quite a lot anyway) to ensure the pony is listening before cantering - that stopped the random excited bucks. If he decided to zoom off he was mercilessly kicked on and told to keep going when he flagged, and then told to keep going again. After doing this only a couple of times more he decided it wasn't worth the bother, luckily a quick learner.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
thought nothing of jumping the wings to avoid the jump

Just like my mare! I set up a channel to loose jump a filler and rather than jump the 60cm filler she jumped the 1m50 sides - from a standstill... The problem with the filler, it was white - she has no issues with scary coloured ones but white gates are a no no.

Sorry to hijack...

be positive

Visit site
It sounds more like a cheeky over exuberant pony than a real control issue, putting on a daisy rein will restrict his jumping and should not be required for a 12 year old boy, a flash will only help if the pony opens his mouth, a martingale will limit how far his head can go up none of which he is doing if he is just popping in a buck or tanking off a bit, every "expert" will give an opinion on what will work but in most cases all gadgets do is to just alter the evasive or naughty behaviour they do not really change the root cause and often don't even help reduce or eliminate it.

I would get a bit tougher in general with the pony, he has settled in, found his feet and is now testing the water to see what he can get away with, he probably had very firm handling in his last home and is now reverting to old habits, most ponies are cheeky, this one just sounds like this rather than a bad pony so more ridden work, clearer boundaries on the ground and maybe the odd lunge to get him tired if he is not getting enough work, most do not work hard enough, cut back on any feed he is getting he is unlikely to need any more than hay and grass, if he is on good grass consider taking him off it for a few hours each day or restricting it in some way.

I am sure with a few tweaks and lots of lessons they will get together and have lots of fun over the summer.

pennyturner

Visit site
The 'cure' for bucking is to get the rider to sit deep into the rear of the saddle and kick on.
If pony is young, the occasional buck going into canter (especially with a young or unbalanced rider) is pretty normal, and shouldn't be punished, otherwise he'll start to resist the transition.

TripleOG

New User
Visit site
Well all of the above is pretty much what I am thinking hence no tack has been changed yet and we are sticking to the safety of arenas! I have told my son he needs to ride him more forward than hold him back-but as he has said to me he is scared because of the few times the pony has messed around! Had a chat to him this morning and he is happy to keep on just schooling and jumping-ultimately he wants to be XC and hunting but he has accepted that Rome wasn't built in a day. So we are booked on more clinics and a couple of nervous and novice jumping days. I guess the major issue is-as with most kids-whatever mum says to do tends to get ignored and he'll only listen to instructors!!

Fiona

Visit site
I think if the pony is being a little rude and tanking off, there is no harm in putting on a flash or a grackle noseband correctly fitted, but it sounds like you're on the right track with the extra lessons etc :) Good luck..

Fiona

Max123

Visit site
Could you get a small adult to ride once a week for a few months? If he isn't getting away with messing he will forget to try it on when your son is riding. Your son will enjoy riding more and his confidence will improve. After a few months he will be able to deal with naughtiness himself and it won't be a problem. Pony is adjusting to new environment and rider but he sounds great and i'm sure will settle in time.