Suggestions for (human) insect repellents and bite remedies please

Odyssey

Visit site
Every time I go out for a walk in the summer I get bitten, and the other day just through opening the patio door to let my dog out! I don't like using highly toxic chemicals, but will if they're the only answer. I remember reading that vitamin B1 I think is supposed to help, has anyone tried it? Or garlic?

I bought some After Bite which gets very good reviews, but found it hardly does anything, nor does Lanacane anaesthetic cream, which used to. I'm desperate to find something that works. I've only got one bite at the moment, which is driving me mad, but it won't be long till it's worse when the mozzies are out in full force! ?

Visit site
I used to have a little clicker thing from Boots, it sends a very small electrical charge into the bite when you click it, stops it from itching. Lanacare does absolutely nothing for me either.

meleeka

Visit site

Odyssey

Visit site
The hot spoon thing works https://lifehacker.com/use-a-hot-spoon-to-instantly-relieve-itchy-bug-bites-615912899
I’ve just bought some leather bracelet repellent things from Amazon on the recommendation of a friend which seem to be helping. I haven’t been bitten all week which is a first for me. I don’t do the horses until around 7pm and mosquitos seem to just love me ?

Thanks, I'll have a look for the bracelets. That sounds encouraging. Wonder if you can use them as ankle bracelets, as my ankles and lower legs get bitten most!

Just looked up the spoon idea, that's really helpful. Would be great to stop the itching permanently. ?

meleeka

Visit site
Thanks, I'll have a look for the bracelets. That sounds encouraging. Wonder if you can use them as ankle bracelets, as my ankles and lower legs get bitten most!

Just looked up the spoon idea, that's really helpful. Would be great to stop the itching permanently. ?
Just don’t do what my nephew did and use water straight out of the kettle. He actually burnt himself! I ought to warn you, it does sting for a second.

Yes, the brackets are big enough for my ankles (they seem to love my upper body more so haven’t thought about wearing one there).

Mrs G

Visit site
Ive always found ‘jungle formula’ repellent works for me - I like the roll on version and I’ll even put it on my face even though I have very sensitive skin. As for garlic - I’ve never noticed it made any difference to me (or my horse!) - we both still got bitten, same with marmite (for the B vitamins) - I’ve eaten marmite sarnies for years and I’m still just a walking buffet for bitey flies!

deb_l222

Visit site
Back in the day when I used to go abroad for hols, I used to take vitamin B1 and it did seem to have some effect with mozzie bites. I'm not sure it works the same with the UK mozzies and midges though.

I've found aloe vera gel to be quite soothing on bites. I had lots of ant bites recently - my own fault from sitting on my garden wall - and the aloe was definitely soothing and stopped the itching.

Casey76

Visit site
https://www.antibrumm.com/

Best. Stuff. Ever. It has an oily base so it stays on your skin for a long time. I’d have to send bottles of it to my mum when she was traveling to various places around the world and it significantly reduced the amount of bites she got (even in the tropics).

The Anti-Brumm Forte has protection against ticks too

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
The hot spoon thing is brilliant. I tried after someone suggested it last year (possibly Meleeka?). It is 100% effective, one session is usually sufficient to stop the itching forever although I did have to do it twice on a horse fly bite.

Micky

Visit site
Vicks vapour rub, excellent for stopping midge bites itching, after I looked like a pizza last summer all over when the little sods bit me, i dabbed a bit on each bite (took a while, face head and body!)..I didn’t itch and they went down from volcanoes to nothing....any jungle repellent should do the trick repelling them...bracken stuck in your hat is meant to help allegedly. ....!

Coblover63

Visit site
Hot spoon or hairdryer. I am highly allergic to horse flies and have spent many years with massive, red, swollen itchy bite sites..... applying cold flannels to try and reduce the itch and inflammation, to no avail. Turns out high heat kills the toxins, so a few blasts a day with a hairdryer and bites now subside in 48 hours.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I have to munch antihistamines when I get bitten. Nothing topical seems to work either as a prevention or to calm the after effects.

Odyssey

Visit site
Thanks very much for all your great suggestions, they're much appreciated. The hot spoon or hairdrier sounds like a good place to start, and I have some Vicks and aloe vera should I need some back up! I'll have a look at the repellants suggested, and will try those too to see what works best. I'll definitely bear antihistamines in mind too.