Suggestions needed on best course of rehab

twilight01

Visit site
Big girl been out of action for 14 months, initially field injury then massive trauma to another leg. We been given the go ahead to begin work again. She was working at novice level dressage prior to injury. It's unlikely we'll make it back to that but wanting ideas as going to put a rehab programme together to begin hacking her out. Suggestions welcome, I have a few ideas but not sure how long to stay at each stage.

thanks

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I would start off with 3 weeks road work.............boring (and old fashioned), but I still think it is the most effective for long term soundness. Start with 20mins walk and build up to at least an hour.

Week 4 & 5 introduce some trot work (ideally up hill) and some canter on a school surface (before the horse gets too fit)!!

Week 6 & 7 increase the intensity of the school work and build in some canter work out hacking.

Janah

Visit site
I have had vet out today re annular ligament strain. Vet said pony not completely sound but to walk out for one month, building up time. Introduce small amount of trotting thereafter and see how things go. Pony has been on box rest since end of sept.

Hope that helps.

elduende

Visit site
Mine has managed 2 annular ligament strains -with digital flexor tendon involvement - (by being a prat!) and it was walking,walking and more walking that did the trick.First in hand going up by 10 mins a week until we got from 5 to 35 mins then riding, first in the school and then hacking out until he was walking for an hour and a half each day. Only then did he start a little trotting. That was 2009 and far from never coming right (vet!) he scans absolutely clear and goes absolutely sound

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
thanks might spread the weeks out a little, seems very quick - I was thinking it would take months:confused:

Obviously needs to be tweaked on each individual horse (and how many times the horse is exercised per week - will take longer the fewer times per week the horse is ridden), but the important bit is the walking.