Suggestions needed re sharing/finding a sharer

Juni141

Visit site
Hi all,

Hope you are all ok on this rather miserable autumn day!

So I have decided to move back to the area I lived in for a long time, having come nearer 'home' in the spring and it not being quite right. I have found a part time job doing floristry which I love, rather than something I have to do to pay my way and I am interviewing for other part time EA roles which will hopefully use my noggin, be challenging and pay reasonably well (just as well as the floristry is peanuts!). I have just found a house with livery on site for the winter. But as you can imagine, all this moving and disruption has shattered my already delicate finances!

So what do I do with my beloved mare? I would really love to find someone to share her but having tried in the past and failed, any tips how do I go about this? I am happy to look after her day to day but I'd love for a young rider to enjoy and compete her. She is well schooled and lovely to ride and loves competing. Where can I find a decent young jockey? I've tried pony club websites, facebook etc to no avail. And what kind of figure should I be asking moneywise of a sharer? Any other tips?

The other options are turn her away for the winter which I could do but would rather not or put her out on loan. Unless anybody has another brainwave?!

TIA!

Shay

Visit site
Have you approached your local PC DC? We've competed horses for others from time to time - and indeed had someone compete one of our ponies for us last summer. All through the PC. The local RC might work as well - I just have less experience of that.

Money for a sharer is always vexed as more tends to depend on the relationship than the finances. Personally I have always just figured out what it actually does cost to keep the one I want a sharer for and divided by 365 to get a price per day. I know what I ask is - in the views of this forum anyway! - rather high; but I have never lacked people wanting to take shares so I can't be too far wrong.

Always get a contract. Contracts keep friendships. There is a good template one on the BHS website. If you want someone to compete her be clear about what level and how often. Think about how you would want her transported to the venues and what you want to do about prize money and rosettes.

hanny93

Visit site
I always look on preloved or on local Facebook groups, local tack shop notice boards and riding schools if they'll let you!

Good luck with finding someone! I wish I was closer to you or I'd be jumping at the chance!

Tammytoo

Visit site
Have you tried putting a noticein your local tack shop and agricultural feed suppliers? You could ask the sharer to pay for shoeing and hard feed, things that you would not have to pay if you just turned your horse away. Make sure your horse insurance covers any sharer riding her and try to get references as to a sharers reliability and riding experience.

muddygreymare

Visit site
Facebook worked for me, I'd just keep trying with fb posts, local pc and rc forums and get the word out with local instructors and see where that gets you.

Make sure you have a watertight contract and set out the rules straight away and you'll be fine. Good luck :)

Equi

Visit site
Is there maybe a friend you already know but are not thinking of? Always good to ask. I got my PL cause my friend noticed a random comment i had made about getting lost on my way to a lesson cause it was so far away - so she asked me to ride her horse instead of lessons.